• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not on Talking Pictures, but on one of the other old TV channels........   The other day I was watching an old episode of Last of the Summer Wine, from around 1977-78. It was always billed a

This one does!!

Watching Expresso Bongo""1959,, Some great familiar names and faces,,Laurence Harvey brilliant as a london Jew boy,,trying to promote acts,,including Cliff Richard,,Harvey does a brilliant jive,,

Watched ''''Poor Cow'''' early hours this morning'''.........sad but so true to life for the 60s......poor housing..no money.....men treating their women badly (many not all)........lots of down to earth factoy girls talking real stuff for the time,,,,,thought Carol White was brilliant in it........what a sad real life she had and died i think in her 40s....also thought John Binden did well...hard man villian in real life..also died young.......

I  didn't realised Carol White hadn't had a happy life.     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carol_White

I like those kind of films from that era. Others I've seen recently include Sparrows can't sing and Billy Liar. When I watch them I find myself thinking this is what the world looked like when I was at infants/junior school.

• 3 weeks later...

Watched ''Play it cool''1962 the other night starring 'Billy Fury.''

He sang some great stuff......dead smart suit collar and Tie...a right good looking bloke...,,,BUT he could.nt Act......neither could

Helen Shapiro  Alvin Stardust or Bobby Vee......but enjoyed the Music

Last night watched Craig Douglas in a film,,,,he was an old favourite of mine...'''Pretty blue Eyes''' 1960 remember that? Used to play it in my Bedroom so that Christine 4 doors away''' could hear it....Dad played Hell   lol

• Like 1

The Beatles with 'Hard Days Night' had a massive impact on the world of pop music films. That film still stands up well 55 years after it was made, partly because it's roughly on the same wavelength as the intended audience.

Pop music films before then were made by middle-aged, middle-class film executives who thought they knew what the young people wanted. Films like the Billy Fury one (and others I've watched) are fascinating and embarrassing in equal measure because they're an old man's idea of what teenagers wanted.

• Like 1

Ahh Craig Douglas Ben., Another one of his was "Teenager in love" also "only sixteen".

Once heard Marty Wilde sing teenager in love, he must have been about 46 at the time :Shock: He had daughter Kim by then.

• Like 1

I was a ‘Teenager in Love’ when those 2 songs were popular- also only sixteen.   Mind you I was nearly always in love with some lad or another when I was a teenager !!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Live it up,,1963,,can't sleep so watching it,,,Lucille Hewitt Corry sings in it,,what i did find interesting was Kenny Ball and his Jazzmen also featured,, 

Gave my bed up for him at the "Dolphin Hotel"" in Cleethorpes back in 74 ish,

• Like 1

This film has a wonderful charm, a bit before my time but recognise the chap from Crackerjack..

Was Luicille the neglected lass singing the sombre song?

Given the artists and sound, I'm sure the brilliant Joe Meek must have played a part.

However..best thing musically, Kenny Ball and Gene Vincent...

• Like 1
On 1/3/2021 at 10:33 PM, Cliff Ton said:

The Beatles with 'Hard Days Night' had a massive impact on the world of pop music films

I remember Wilfrid Bramble (old man Steptoe) playing Paul's grandfather.

In a 1999 survey of 1000 people involved in the British Film Industry voted it the 88th of films in the 20th century that were "culturally British"

The top 5 in the survey were 

1. The Third Man  - 1949
  2. Brief Encounter - 1945 I've never seen or heard of this one
  3. Lawrence of Arabia - 1962
  4. The 39 Steps - 1935
  5. Great Expectations - 1946 Missed this one

The most "modern" one is from 1998

The complete list is here

BFI Top 100 British films - Wikipedia

The 100 Best TV shows are here

BFI TV 100 - Wikipedia

What would be yours?

• Like 1

Morning Oz, well it is here!!

The film "Brief Encounter " was a film starring Trevor Howard as a doctor who had a chance meeting with a woman, played by Celia Johnson. She managed to get a bit of coal grit in her eye on the station platform. The doctor removed said bit of coal cinder from her eye while they were in the station buffet. They had a cup of tea while waiting for their respective trains. They met the following day and so it goes. The station used was Carnforth, and they still have the platform clock, seen in the film. Do ya wanna copy??

• Like 1

When me and the wife were first 'Sparking'' we used to copy ''Brief Encounter'' and meet either on Peterborough or Nottingham stations..............

• Upvote 1

Four versions were made of "The 39 Steps",

1935...Robert Donat

1959...Kenneth More

1978...Robert Powell

2008...Rupert Penry-Jones.

I've got into Dad's Army in the last couple of years, it's always being repeated on BBC2.

Back at the time, I was aware of it but thought it was 'about old people, for old people'. I now think it's intelligent, clever, and funny.

And it hasn't dated through time; it didn't depend on anything fashionable or contemporary.

• Like 2

My Dad also loved Dads Army....i used to watch it with him when he lived with us......said it reminded him of his time in the Basford and Bulwell 'Home Guard''   think he was a bit of a ''PIKE''      

15 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

When me and the wife were first 'Sparking'' we used to copy ''Brief Encounter'' and meet either on Peterborough or Nottingham stations.

I seem to remember that the Simon and Garfunkel song Homeward Bound was associated with Widnes railway station.

Why don't you write a chart topping song about Peterborough or Nottingham stations Ben

• Like 1

''Out of season''   1975

Cliff Robertson ...Vanessa Redgrave...with the lovely young Susan George...

Cliff and Vanessa do an uplifting dance around the small hotel together........made my night........still watching............

Ben, I was staying in the Victoria Hotel with an Irish Wolfhound in 1975, yes it’s true ......

I shared a lift late one night with the hound, Susan George and John Wayne’s son Patrick. Don’t think they noticed I was there, they were all over each other, expect they had a good night! 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

with the lovely young Susan George...

I remember seeing her in "Up The Junction" with a young Dennis Waterman, Suzi Kendall and Adrienne Posta fair made a young blokes evening watching those girls in their mini skirts.

I’ve sat next to Susan George a couple of times since the Victoria Hotel episode, but didn’t mention seeing her being eaten alive by Patrick Wayne.  Several years ago we were in a box at a fantastic event at the Royal Albert Hall.  In the next box to us were Susan George and Joan Collins with their husbands. On another occasion we shared a table in Pret A Manger at Bicester Village.  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Nonna. I don't usually have a problem with older films.  The sound is hardly 'hi-fi' but is usually clear enough as it is mono and uncomplicated.

There's no doubt that much recent cinema has been plagued by atrocious sound.  My theory is that they expect everybody to have fancy AV (audio visual) systems with millions of speakers and separate 'subwoofers', 'centre dialogue speakers' etc. They can sound astonishingly good.... but despite having a 'posh' hi-fi,  I certainly don't have those and I can struggle with the dialogue in many recent films...especially 'blockbuster' types...

Ordinary TV Drama sound can also be appalling.  I think it was a BBC production of Jamaica Inn or somesuch which was absolutely slated for sound a few years ago.. All of the actors seemed to be muttering into the floor.

But.. as a native English speaker.. with only a couple of words of Italian and mere remnants of my 1965 O Level French.. you might expect me to want English 'overdubbing' on 'foreign' productions.. but I don't.  We just watched the last two episodes of the French Police drama with the English title 'Spiral'.. (In French it is 'Engrenages' .which I believe translates as 'Entanglements' or similar. ).  We both watch with the subtitles and enjoy trying to hear the French through the combination of our ignorance and the Parisien 'Patois'...while keeping up via subtitles.

I also like 'Montalbano' with subtitles.....though I think the episodes are always just maybe 20/30 minutes too long.

I also have the full original DVD box set of the the Stig Larrsen 'Girl With The Dragon Tattoo' Trilogy... which is overdue for a re-watch. It is superb in every way.. if a bit 'gruesome'.  Noomi Rapace is electrifying in it and absolutely 'owns' every scene. I tried the overdubbed English and hated it.  It just sounds so false and 'twee'.. so I prefer to hear the Swedish and read the subtitles.

Multi tasking eh?.  And you thought only ladies could do that.. :biggrin:

And I love the way that the 'Scandis' always talk about third parties by taking a big pause before very carefully pronouncing their names....  " Yes..so ve hev ben looking ferry clersely et ze ectivities ev a chentleman called..................................................... Yig...ge..... Sturming...sen.. :biggrin:

We try and watch British series on Netflix when possible.  There is nothing wrong with my hearing but I don't catch everything said. Especially with the male actors, females are no problem. Many a time we rewind to catch what a man said,  sometimes a couple of times, then give up. Embarrassing when it is our mother tongue! I once bought a Broadway series of tickets to the theater in Phoenix, along with 3 friends.  At that time we lived 3 hours from the theater,  but it was a nice break to go down to the big city. At first though, the plays were spoiled by my not hearing what the men were saying. Then found out you could borrow headsets for free, bliss, I heard every word.Something to do with the pitch in men's voices?