My Dad also loved Dads Army....i used to watch it with him when he lived with us......said it reminded him of his time in the Basford and Bulwell 'Home Guard''   think he was a bit of a ''PIKE''      

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not on Talking Pictures, but on one of the other old TV channels........   The other day I was watching an old episode of Last of the Summer Wine, from around 1977-78. It was always billed a

This one does!!

One of my favourite programmes of all time,,.......thought it was nice but at the same time sad that,,,Bill Owen and Peter Sallis decided and are buried in Holmfirth...............i worked in the Coop

15 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

When me and the wife were first 'Sparking'' we used to copy ''Brief Encounter'' and meet either on Peterborough or Nottingham stations.

I seem to remember that the Simon and Garfunkel song Homeward Bound was associated with Widnes railway station.

Why don't you write a chart topping song about Peterborough or Nottingham stations Ben

• Like 1
13 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

My Dad also loved Dads Army

According to our media the BEEB has issued discriminatory language warnings at the start of recent re-runs of Dad's Army. Apparently the "wokies" do not like references to Froggies and Fuzzy Wuzzies.

Come on Britain stand against this and other PC nonsense

• Like 2

''Out of season''   1975

Cliff Robertson ...Vanessa Redgrave...with the lovely young Susan George...

Cliff and Vanessa do an uplifting dance around the small hotel together........made my night........still watching............

Ben, I was staying in the Victoria Hotel with an Irish Wolfhound in 1975, yes it’s true ......

I shared a lift late one night with the hound, Susan George and John Wayne’s son Patrick. Don’t think they noticed I was there, they were all over each other, expect they had a good night! 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

with the lovely young Susan George...

I remember seeing her in "Up The Junction" with a young Dennis Waterman, Suzi Kendall and Adrienne Posta fair made a young blokes evening watching those girls in their mini skirts.

I’ve sat next to Susan George a couple of times since the Victoria Hotel episode, but didn’t mention seeing her being eaten alive by Patrick Wayne.  Several years ago we were in a box at a fantastic event at the Royal Albert Hall.  In the next box to us were Susan George and Joan Collins with their husbands. On another occasion we shared a table in Pret A Manger at Bicester Village.  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Not really about the topic as such but recently we programmed our TV to  show english  films and documentaries in English. Not strange as we always watch them in Italian. But watching British and American film in their original language is really strange. Sometimes when we are watching both my husband and I both say "what did they say"

We dont understand half the film because of the way they speak sometimes quietly and others just muttering.Dont think for a minute we've forgotten the english language because that's what we speak at home, only english with occasional comments in Italian. In fact we have thought about converting back to dubbed films even though we know quite we that John Wayne hasn't got a feminine voice.

Nonna. I don't usually have a problem with older films.  The sound is hardly 'hi-fi' but is usually clear enough as it is mono and uncomplicated.

There's no doubt that much recent cinema has been plagued by atrocious sound.  My theory is that they expect everybody to have fancy AV (audio visual) systems with millions of speakers and separate 'subwoofers', 'centre dialogue speakers' etc. They can sound astonishingly good.... but despite having a 'posh' hi-fi,  I certainly don't have those and I can struggle with the dialogue in many recent films...especially 'blockbuster' types...

Ordinary TV Drama sound can also be appalling.  I think it was a BBC production of Jamaica Inn or somesuch which was absolutely slated for sound a few years ago.. All of the actors seemed to be muttering into the floor.

But.. as a native English speaker.. with only a couple of words of Italian and mere remnants of my 1965 O Level French.. you might expect me to want English 'overdubbing' on 'foreign' productions.. but I don't.  We just watched the last two episodes of the French Police drama with the English title 'Spiral'.. (In French it is 'Engrenages' .which I believe translates as 'Entanglements' or similar. ).  We both watch with the subtitles and enjoy trying to hear the French through the combination of our ignorance and the Parisien 'Patois'...while keeping up via subtitles.

I also like 'Montalbano' with subtitles.....though I think the episodes are always just maybe 20/30 minutes too long.

I also have the full original DVD box set of the the Stig Larrsen 'Girl With The Dragon Tattoo' Trilogy... which is overdue for a re-watch. It is superb in every way.. if a bit 'gruesome'.  Noomi Rapace is electrifying in it and absolutely 'owns' every scene. I tried the overdubbed English and hated it.  It just sounds so false and 'twee'.. so I prefer to hear the Swedish and read the subtitles.

Multi tasking eh?.  And you thought only ladies could do that.. :biggrin:

And I love the way that the 'Scandis' always talk about third parties by taking a big pause before very carefully pronouncing their names....  " Yes..so ve hev ben looking ferry clersely et ze ectivities ev a chentleman called..................................................... Yig...ge..... Sturming...sen.. :biggrin:

We try and watch British series on Netflix when possible.  There is nothing wrong with my hearing but I don't catch everything said. Especially with the male actors, females are no problem. Many a time we rewind to catch what a man said,  sometimes a couple of times, then give up. Embarrassing when it is our mother tongue! I once bought a Broadway series of tickets to the theater in Phoenix, along with 3 friends.  At that time we lived 3 hours from the theater,  but it was a nice break to go down to the big city. At first though, the plays were spoiled by my not hearing what the men were saying. Then found out you could borrow headsets for free, bliss, I heard every word.Something to do with the pitch in men's voices?

I agree Kath it's mostly men's voices but also happens with womens voices.What I've put it down to is habit. We've been hearing Italian in so many different dialects and we're used to it. So along comes a film that's a bit different , speech wise, and we don't catch every word. I also agree with DJ 360 the old films are more clear but sometimes even they slur.

Funny too we can start to watch a film and don't understand what it's about as we can't catch a single word and then we both say is it English or Italian. Again we expect to watch a popular or famous film, sit down comfortably and after a few minutes expecting an Italian film in original language and trying for all we're worth to understand we realize it's in English.

Even though I understand and speak Italian I find when watching Italian films dubbed into English , I try to match their words to their mouths and miss half the story. Sometimes the dubbing isn't the correct translation.

I would love to watch Montalbano in English ( dubbed) it's fantastic in Sicilian and some of the expressions I have to ask my husband what they are. ( he's Sicilian) I don't think the story's would have the same effect though in English)( I only know how to pronounce a handful of words and expressions but I do understand it)

DJ. Your last paragraph sounds like Renzi speaking English. Sure his interview will be on you tube. It's so funny.

• Like 1