Victoria Wood's "Two Soups" sketch is comedy at its finest. When we are out for a meal and I hear a waitress repeat back "Two soups" I always have to stifle a giggle and it normally means I get kicked in the shin by Mrs Deepdene Boy.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not on Talking Pictures, but on one of the other old TV channels........   The other day I was watching an old episode of Last of the Summer Wine, from around 1977-78. It was always billed a

This one does!!

Watching Expresso Bongo""1959,, Some great familiar names and faces,,Laurence Harvey brilliant as a london Jew boy,,trying to promote acts,,including Cliff Richard,,Harvey does a brilliant jive,,

Public eye just finished,,,Marker bought a new suit £14,,,,looked ok,,,Nottingham connection again,,,,,Peter Bowles ex Kersall drive and High Pavement school,,,

Talking of Victoria Wood , this sketch came on the other night ....made me giggle ! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yes,,got his auto biography,, he talks about having to go through a rough estate on his way to HP school,,

Cheeky git,,was referring to old Bestwood,, lol,

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

A recent episode of Public Eye included an actor named Ray McAnally. One of those faces who was always on television  in the 60s and 70s.

Had a shock when I Googled him and found that he died several years ago and was younger than I am now.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, philmayfield said:

can't remember the last time I rolled on the floor in pain with laughter. Perhaps now I'm more mature my sense of humour has waned.

Mum and Auntie love talking movies when we go away they are all recorded, we are back home for a while and I could roll on the floor in pain but not with laughter. 

• Like 1

I remember me Dad talking about a northern comedian of 'slapstick style' ,,well saw him for first time in the early hours of this morning,,,Frank Randle,,,brilliant best iv'e seen of that style,,,hilarious dialogue too,,,,also in the film (1945) Ravits and Landauer (sp) pianists,,not seen them before either,but recall me old Dad mention them as well,, Film was 'Home sweet home'........excellent,,,

Watched a bit of film yesterday on Talking pictures, it were Caesar and Cleopatra. What a right load of rubbish ! ' Er indoors though it was early Carry on film. Starred Claude Raines and Vivienne Leigh, among others. The dialogue was abysmal and scenery looked all painted and in a studio. Could'nt have watched it all.

I'd recorded 'A kind of loving' which we watched last night.  I thought it illustrated very well the differences between (some) men's lifestyles and their objectives towards women, and those of of women .... at least at that time!   I got very cross at Ingrid's mother interfering in their lives...

I loved that the story ended on a positive note, though.

• Like 1

Made about same time as our own 'saturday night Sunday morning,,' some good northern character actors in it as well,, i could recognise the mood of the time,, excellent film Margie,,

• Like 1

Thanks for that BK,,just read up on him,,a crazy character led a mad life,,born in Wigan,,so proper northern,,love the north and its humour,,actually worked out of an office in Mesnes park Wigan for a time,,

He died in his 50s,,and is buried in Blackpool,,  not worked there,,had a weekend or two though,, happy days and nights,,lol

Another of your favourites on at the moment Ben, " The smallest show on Earth,". The Bijou kinema with Margaret Rutherford, Peter Sellers, Bernard Miles etc.  

• Like 1

Yes BK, nice film,,fairly local as well,, 

(Sl)    Loughborough,,,

Think it were mentioned afore on here. The picture that I think CT showed was of a cinema in Loughborough but the one in the film is between two railway bridges. Without going back, I can't remember who it is who has the sign in their shed.

Public eye good tonight,,he moved to Windsor and a new office,,got mixed up with some real villans and took a hiding,

Two of my old cars were in it,,me little Grey mini van that Marsdens gave me the use of,,and my old red 1600 Cortina,, curtesy of VG stores days,,these old films/series really provoke Nostalga,,,

I've heard you lot talk about Talking Pictures so when I finally got hold of the remote I turned to it. Jeeez it was bad. Leo McKern in some sort of melodrama, (Time without Pity) black and white, abysmal script and I don't think I've ever seen such bad acting. I shan't bother again, somethings are best left in the past.

Oh Brew,,you must stick at it,,there's much worse than that,,wait till you see frank marker put the kettle on,,   lol 

Plus of course those acting greats,,Cliff Richard,,Adam Faith,,Jess Conrad,,Marty Wilde,,Tommy Steele,,Freddie Mills,,and many more,,

• Like 1

I started to watch a film a couple of weeks ago starring Gert and Daisy!   I tried to keep watching for nostalgia's sake but couldn't manage more than 10 minutes... Also, like BK, I decided to watch the Cleopatra film I'd recorded but only managed 5 minutes of that.

(whilst we were on holiday at Chapel St Leonard's in the 1940s,  Gert and Daisy were opening a fete there, so we went to see them, but I can't really remember anything much about it)

There are some interesting films though.  Yesterday, I watched a 15 minute film I'd recorded called 'The Farm 1938'.   I really enjoyed it as my mum was a farmer's daughter and she used to tell me stories about her life on the farm,  taking tea to the men at harvest time etc.   The narrator had a very 'plummy'  voice but it was still good.  

Yes, and they've all got a fag on,, 

I still request an ""ash tray"" in pubs,,cafés even Doc's waiting room,,

On 7/24/2019 at 10:23 PM, benjamin1945 said:

Yes,,got his auto biography,, he talks about having to go through a rough estate on his way to HP school,,

Cheeky git,,was referring to old Bestwood,, lol,

Yep.. wish I knew he was badmouthing peaceful idyllic Bestwood Est., I'd have got a few of the lads together and give 'im a bleddy gud kickin...  :rotfl:

• Like 1

Once a jolly swagman"" on at the moment,,1949,, Thora Hird and Bill Owen in it,,who'd have thought that 50 years later they would still be acting together in ""Last of the summer ""

• Upvote 1