I was reading that about US Army base this morning Jill,,,,i was there having my  ''Prostetis'' sorted out by a lovely lady......i know you will look it up Jill..........lol

• Like 1
  • Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not on Talking Pictures, but on one of the other old TV channels........   The other day I was watching an old episode of Last of the Summer Wine, from around 1977-78. It was always billed a

This one does!!

Watching Expresso Bongo""1959,, Some great familiar names and faces,,Laurence Harvey brilliant as a london Jew boy,,trying to promote acts,,including Cliff Richard,,Harvey does a brilliant jive,,

Yes, an interesting photographic timeline of the history of Kings Mill along the wall near the clinics. Until a few years ago, there were still a number of areas within the hospital dating from its use as an army base. They had a very eerie atmosphere but since the rebuild, they are virtually all gone.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I'll be running into you in Morrison's! I don't shoplift, though

Oh go on... I'm sure it will make his day.....  :P

• Like 1
On 8/30/2019 at 3:05 AM, Jill Sparrow said:

Sutton in Ashfield, Loppy. Has a very interesting history. It was a US Army base during WW2. Now part of Sherwood Forest Hospitals.

Here is a link which contains a potted history of the hospital

http://www.ournottinghamshire.org.uk/page/30th_general_hospital_of_the_university_of_california?path=0p2p55p

It is just off the A38 (the longest 2 digit A road in the UK) opposite Kings Mill Reservoir on the Mansfield side of Sutton in Ashfield.

• Like 2
On 7/17/2019 at 8:34 PM, benjamin1945 said:

Just watched a ten minute film called "Sunday in Southend in 1959" 

I have that film on DVD. I watched it again last night and it brought back lots of memories of a holiday there in 1960. As a teenager I spent many weekends in Southend and at age 14 met a girl there who, 14 years later, was to become a partner of mine for a while.

• Like 1

"The Bespoke Overcoat" was on TP last night. It won an Oscar at the 29th Academy Awards in 1957 for Best Short Subject (Two-Reel). Quite rightly so; it is an excellent fim.

• Like 1
On 8/29/2019 at 6:13 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

What were you doing at Kings Mill, our Ben? I'll be running into you in Morrison's! I don't shoplift, though!

I'll be taking a friend to Kings Mill in a coup!e of weeks for a day case op. I'll look out for you.

I'm back in kings mill now,,,just had camera down me throat,,and biopsies taken,,gagged a bit,but not too bad,,they reckon all looks good,,just got to have one the other end now,Tuesday might see you Jill,,

I will look out for you, Ben.  I'll be the one dragging a quivering bloke into the day case unit. I suspect it will be like trying to get a dog through the door of the vet!  Hernia repair. Surgeon has an excellent reputation. Takes 45 minutes.

Glad it's not me!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

,just got to have one the other end now,

Been there, done it, got the tee shirt - it's not the most comfortable experience in the world, Ben.

:biggrin:

• Like 1

I know Compo,,,had it about 6 times,,,one time years ago at City Hospital,,was having the treatment and shouting things like ''Oh dear '' and 'Crikey',,, wife was outside in the corridor speaking to one of my Aunts who was a Nurse and a Church goer,,,,Aunt says to wife  '''think Ben having his treatment now'''..........lol

• Like 4

Why is it when we get older it's all the embarrassing bits that need close examination?  Why can't it be elbows or ears or all the innocuous bits?

I once had 'scope examinations in all orifices, when having a checkout for my prostrate. I think the most embarrassing one was the 'scope up the old water spout. There happened to be a young lady doctor on the team, who only looked about 13.

Did ask her if her teacher knew she was out? Also, why are the nurses only about 12 years old!

Not only was the doctor female so was the student with her AND the two assistants...  They try distraction techniques  by talking about anything and everything........... it doesn't work..

Just watched a bit of "Broken journey"" 1948 film,,,they rescue a man in the frozen wastes somewhere,, and first thing they give him is a Fag,,made him better as well,,, lol 

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, katyjay said:

I don't have a water spout, but me eyes are still watering at the thought of the procedure!

When I remarked to the doctor about the procedure, he just laughed and said " could have been worse, it coulda been this one", showing me a 1/2" endoscope !:Shock:

Eureka Stockade,,1949,,

Great old Australian film,,with Chips Rafferty and Gordon Jackson,,(amazing how many films Jackson was in)

Based on true story of Gold prospectors in Victoria,,rebelling against the conditions laid down by the British crown,,excellent,,

If you ever get downunder there is a fantastic light. laser and sound effects show at Sovereign Hill commemorating the battle between the gold miners and the government forces on December 3rd 1854 during which some 27 people were killed. The show is called Blood on the Southern Cross.

You can see an excerpt here. Sovereign Hill is a re-creation of a gold mining town and can be seen in the clip immediately after.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Sparrows can't sing''' 1963,,,black and white,,,love the old black and white london based films,,,full of great character actors who's faces we all know,,even if their name doesn't spring to mind,,,

Stephen Lewis,,,''On the Buses'' and ''Last of summer wine'''  along with his mates from those shows 'Bob Grant'' and Brian Murphy'' whose co star 'Yootha Joyce from 'Man about the house'' was also in it.

Avis Bunnage,,,Manchester born,,but equally at home playing 'Cockney ladies' or even Nottingham one's in 'Saturday night sunday morning''

Rita Webb,,John Junkin,,Glyn Edwards,(Minder) 'Harry H Corbett'' (steptoe),,Queenie Watts,,'Roy Kinnear'' James Booth,,and last but not least 'Barbara Windsor,,..........so many fine actors ,,all in one film,,sadly most no longer with us................

• Like 1

Me too Cliff Ton,,,amazing how much those things have changed............i'm also staggered how any city street in the world now looks pretty much the same,,,  ie,, crammed with traffic and people,,,

This came up on my FB feed . Not Nottingham but 3 Northern locations in a fascinating 1901 film .

I've watched it 3 times now and seen different stuff going on each time . 

Most of the girls have shawls over their heads and it's probably the first time people had seen a movie camera in operation. Kids can be seen carrying baskets , maybe their fathers lunch ?

In one segment the cameraman's assistant can be seen instructing the workers where to walk towards the camera before a chap emerges with a large advertising placard.

Theres a young lad in the second segment adopting a peaky blinders pose with hands in his waistcoat pocket . In the final moments a couple of lads appear to be throwing punches at each other in the background....maybe staged too ?

• Like 3