Hi Lyn,

Welcome to Nottstalgia.  I recognise a couple of those names you remember from school although I didn’t attend ACHS but I grew up in Arnold and went to Carlton-le-Willows GS, the local rivals!!  Which Primary School did you go to?  

Miss Thistlethwaite ....... what a name to be lumbered with :wacko:  Hope she ended up marrying a man with a simple name.  

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello,   I've only just discovered this site and have enjoyed reading the comments which bring back great memories from 60 years ago. I started at ACHS at the beginning,September 1959,a

Hello,   I'm glad more people are discovering this site. Dennis M above,was that Janet Britten?I seem to remember her from my time at ACHS from the first day in September 1959 to when I

Was on a bus trip in Sicily yesterday. Recognised a Midland accent behind us. He was bought up in Underwood and went to Arnold County High School. He started Sept 61. The small world gets smaller.

Posted Images

11 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Hi Socram

Stuart Brandreth, your fellow pupil, is alive and well and lives in my village. He used to be the M.D. of the Nottingham Building Society.

When my mum lived in Lambley,  Brandreths used to live next door and I think, ran the Post office.  Terence Porter was also Lambley lad and the family had a flower shop in Victoria market.  At the 1988 ACHS reunion, I think I might even have run Stuart home.  Please pass on my regards.  I do have a photograph or two of the 1988 reunion, as yet, probably unscanned.  I do know that they often have mini-reunion meetings but haven't managed to make one for a few years.  Maybe this year?

Yes Paradiddle, not only Nora Batty socks, but the very last boy in the year to get long trousers - I grew 7" in a year...  Living in NZ, schoolboys generally don't wear longs, which makes a lot of sense and not just due to the climate either.  I'm sure that having to buy a BHGS uniform, then 2 years later, a uniform for ACHS, must have been very tough on the family budget. 

Does anyone have a decent copy of the 1960 ACHS house photographs, taken on the steps of the quad?

I already have Schweitzer, Roosevelt and Aylward, but need the other three, if anyone can help.  These MAY be used in a book I started writing years ago - and keep trying to update.

As promised, Eastwood School July 1958.  There are so few on here that I recognise and one or two I do recognise, but can't name!  I'm aware that sadly, one or two from Bramcote and Eastwood are no longer with us.

Three I can name from the first ACHS intake are Glenda Scholtz, Pat Thomas and Carol Waterhouse.

158_0702_01 EPTS.jpg

8 minutes ago, LYN said:

Hi. I don`t think so although David James rings a bell.

Didn't know David James was a campanologist.. lol

I hope other people will be able to post the names of people in your year..

On 12/03/2018 at 5:25 PM, LizzieM said:

Hi Lyn,

Welcome to Nottstalgia.  I recognise a couple of those names you remember from school although I didn’t attend ACHS but I grew up in Arnold and went to Carlton-le-Willows GS, the local rivals!!  Which Primary School did you go to?  

Miss Thistlethwaite ....... what a name to be lumbered with :wacko:  Hope she ended up marrying a man with a simple name.  

Hi. I went to Calverton Road infants and then Richard Bonnington.

I probably know/knew some of your classmates at Infant and Jnr School but it depends what year you were, did you start ACHS in 61 (my school year)  I was at Kingswell. 

I remember Charlie Phipps although he was a couple of years above me. Everyone thought he was sooo cool!

Hi Lizzie. I started ACHS in 1964. Can`t really remember many pupils from my infant and junior schools.

On ‎12‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 2:26 PM, Gunner297 said:

Yes,, that's me!  Got into bad habits at an early age, finally gave up the cigs about 30 years age but the damage had been done.  10 years down Calverton Pit after I left the Army didn't help either.  I remember some of your chemistry escapades, including you coming to school one day with what looked like a five-o'clock shadow aroung your mouth after you investigated the power of a vacuum?  Great days.  Best wishes.  Gall

Hi Gall Times certainly change! Did you go to Eastwood Tech? I remember being in a class teaching Chemistry, and the teacher, who was, I think Mr Whitaker instructed us to use an ignition tube to heat Mercuric Oxide up and notice the mercury being distilled at the top of the tube. Talk about health and safety! I guess the standards were completely different then. The chemistry teacher at ACHS was Mr Hind, who used his index finger/fist to press into your arm to enforce discipline. Good teacher though. Some pupils I remember: Pete Pelling, who I last saw around 23 years ago, when I owned a ZZR 1100 bike - I gave him a ride, but lost contact soon after. John Humphries (Cello). John Hearson. Ian Fraser. Alan Mottershaw (Rock Band). That's enough for my memory for now, after 55 years! One other guy, I can't remember his name, but he was a mate at school who loved Beethoven. I would describe him as having thick, curly hair and significantly, kind of noticeable "protruding" eyes. Do you know his name, I have completely forgotten. Bye the way, I went to Kingswell from 7 to 11, before Eastwood, while ACHS was being built. My teacher at Kingswell was Mr Ellis, who I found out recently was a WW2 war hero. He was my favourite teacher of all time, and I recently read his book "The Last Hussar". Google Quote: Ray Ellis – the brave and daring desert rat hero, the only surviving soldier of the 107th Regiment of South Nottinghamshire Hussars which fought one of the bloodiest battles of WWII, the 1942 ‘Battle of Knightsbridge’ and the last soldier to fire at incoming German troops – has died last February 18 at the Queen’s Medical Centre in Nottingham.

Hi I've read many of these posts and recall many of the folk mentioned although I didn't join  ACHS until 1962.

Before joining I was friends with Ray Green's brother Malcolm (was there another brother David and I lived next to Richard Warsop on Barden Road.)  If anybody's interested I can throw into the mix a great many names from our Year Group (1962 to 67/69) and a few more from other years.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Rich said:

Hi I've read many of these posts and recall many of the folk mentioned although I didn't join  ACHS until 1962. 

Hello Rich, welcome to Nottstalgia.  

A very good friend of mine would have been in your year, Barbara McLean. She’s been in Scotland since University but I see her occasionally.  

I remember Barbara well.....we were in many of the same teaching groups......I last saw her when she was working in Nottm library shortly after leaving school.........also taught her younger brother at Frank Wheldon in my early years of teaching.

I am a newbie and as such not quite sure how to post and whether this is the right way to connect . Came across the site by accident. I was at ACHS from 1960 to 65 in Aylward house. Mary Craggs was my name then . My brother John was part of the Eastwood contingent of the first intake  and was in Pundit house. John and I travelled from Mansfield  on a special bus and i was the only girl on a bus full of boys. Two of the others on the bus were Patrick Wilson and Mike Hill who i noticed were mentioned by a member called Pat's sister who asked if anyone remembered them. They were sadly both killed in a car crash during the summer holidays while they were working their summer job during or after 6th form. I think Pat 's cousin was Geoff Healey who was a year above me at ACHS . I have seen a few names i remember  including Charlie Phipps who was in my O level Art group. I believe he went on to Nottingham art college and i went to Mansfield Art college and then to Eaton Hall teacher training college in Retford. The names of many of the teachers are familiar to me .Mr Ring and Mr. Sargent who are on the 50th anniversary photo are just 2 of them. Mr salmon was universally popular it seems . I was in 1z in the first year Mr Zanker being the teacher who i then remet at Eaton Hall. I never came to reunions as I never heard of any ,having moved south and not in touch with anyone from school. 

Welcome to the Forum Mary, you connected no problem and hope that you find plenty to interest you. Keep posting, there's plenty to recall about Mansfield from the 50`s and 60`s. My late wife used to talk about a coffee bar she frequented in her teens I think near Market Place, was it called The Swiss Cottage?

Geoff Heeley was a friend of mine at Rushcliffe TGS. We sat at the same dinner table for a few years. Geoff  became a police officer in Wales but unfortunately has passed away.

i was working at the same organisation as Mike Hill  when he had his tragic accident.

Regards,

Will2017

Hi Everybody

Jim Briers is mentioned several times and is obviously fondly remembered.......a really nice guy and a great sense of humour (tried but failed to teach me Latin )........sad to report he passed away last month (Feb 2018).