Guest Phoenix

The Harlequin, that's the one! I'd forgotten it was called that. Yes, that's where I lived. A ROT builder called Carter put a small new estate up that way and mum and dad bought one of the houses.

Where was Trevart Kennels? I can only think of the RSPCA kennels near the by pass junction.

Sorry wasn't privy to the boys bogs! I'm female! I've been looking for Dr Higginsons book for ages. It's out of print and the last one I found online was a fortune.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello,   I've only just discovered this site and have enjoyed reading the comments which bring back great memories from 60 years ago. I started at ACHS at the beginning,September 1959,a

Hello,   I'm glad more people are discovering this site. Dennis M above,was that Janet Britten?I seem to remember her from my time at ACHS from the first day in September 1959 to when I

Was on a bus trip in Sicily yesterday. Recognised a Midland accent behind us. He was bought up in Underwood and went to Arnold County High School. He started Sept 61. The small world gets smaller.

Posted Images

It was Trevart Kennels and I was still living there until the family sold it to the RSPCA in 62.

I had the same problem locating the book and in the end, I joined the local library and asked them to source it for me. They located a copy for me in an interstate library! I am only sorry now that I did not photocopy the book.

I could see that you were female :biggrin: but when we had finished our painting of the Cistern Chapel (at our own expense and donations), we held an open day - even Higginson viewed the place and I remember to this day that he turned at left without a comment.

Males and females alike, including teachers had a look. Just thought you might have been one, that was all.

Trevor, did you leave for Oz mid way through senior school then? Just looked at your profile to see how old you are but you seem a bit coy! Must have been difficult to go to the other side of the world at that stage of your education if that was the case.

Phoenix, you would have been in the same year as a few of my Junior School friends

LizzieM - I left at the end of the Fifth Form....After sitting the GCE 'O' Levels in 63. Came out here in early 64.

We sold the kennels in 62 but did not leave Nottingham until the following year. Moved to Wollaton and was catching buses then (2) with the last one from the Market Square to your old stamping ground, Rolleston Drive.

Always issues with adapting to a new country and way of life and sadness at the loss of good friends.

Having said that, I would not wish to change anything as this country has been good to us and providing you are prepared to work, life is good.

I just want to go back home for old times sake and see what is apparently no longer there slywink

Yes I can understand that but Australia has been your country for 50 years, Nottingham would seem very strange to you now. I was away for 30 years but came back now and again to see my parents ...... they mostly came to stay with us to be honest. I came back to live here getting on for 10 years ago to be near my old Dad. We've really enjoyed being back in a city that has everything ...... Great restaurants, cinemas, Playhouse, theatre, concert hall, arena for the big acts. We used to live only 25 miles from the West End but hardly ever went into London for entertainment because of the journey home at the end of an evening. Here it's a bus ride or £5 taxi ride. Nottingham has a lot to offer. When you decide to make a trip back to your roots we'll hope to see you!

Thanks LizzieM. From what I can see, hear and read about Nottingham together with the comments and posts by Nottstalgians; I do not think there will be much left of dear old Nottingham of the late 50s/early 60s that I once knew.

However, Radcliffe does not appear to have changed much, nor does West Bridgford, Wollaton, Skeggy, Mablethorpe or parts of Scotland or the south coast. So you see, I think I will still find a fair bit to show the wife where her better half used to frequent.

Hopefully, it will not be much longer before we can manage to get over there. I will look forward to being in Nottingham when a Meet-Up is scheduled!

Guest Phoenix

I missed the dunny Open Day Trevor!

Yes, I remember the us stopped to pick a single lad up from the kennels. But that's all I remember! You'd be older; there was a Michael Roberts who was older, from Bingham. And Anne Jepson from ROT. Can't remember any older pupils on that journey though.

I had a friend who lived in some forces houses on the outskirts of ROT. There were quite a few Canadian RAF families there when I moved to the area. Based at RAF Langar. There were some nice cycle rides around the district, East Bridgford, Cropwell Bishop, etc. I used to avoid anywhere near Saxondale though. I was once shouted at by one of the residents as I cycled past. He was large and bearded and seemed unpredictable. I think the building us now private flats.

You must be talking about the Canadian Estate, all the streets have Canadian names. I remember when the residents went back home after the base closed, and the houses came on the market. They were all equipped with the appliances in the kitchen, unheard of to buy a house like that, at the time. Might have been furnished too, can't remember.

Phoenix, that single lad was me. Anne Jepson was an old friend that I have tried to find but to no avail. We went through ROT infants school together and she and her parents lived on Shelford Road, just down from Cliff Drive. If I timed it right, I often got a ride to the Infants School with her in her fathers Land Rover (WW2 surplus?).

Mick Roberts does not ring a bell but on the same bus was Brian Andrews and getting off at the Harlequin stop with you would have been Ian Towers (one of the Towers triplets).

The Canadian estate was developed after we had moved to Trevart Kennels and as kids, we used to play in the houses as they were being built. Later, the Canadian girls were of some interest, particularly one Jeannie Mooney. We used to go around that estate on Halloween for their trick or treat.....Loads of lollies for nothing although some houses slammed their doors on us as we were not Canadians!

The large bearded man that you speak of was probably Beeson. He was a gardener/handyman at the Manor and lived in a cottage on the corner of Water Lane and Main Road. He did not like kids hanging around the Manor grounds and his son was just as belligerent - weren't you Carl?

Looking on Google now, I see that almost all of the small cottages that used to line Water Lane at that end of ROT, with their front door steps right on the street,have disappeared.

Guest Phoenix

Interesting Davey. Anne J was horse mad. She took Accountancy exams and last I heard, early 70s, she was nearly fully qualified. It. Used to take about 7 years in those days. I was in the area as a student and was hitching just outside West Bridgford. Purely by chance, she stopped to pick us up. She hadn't changed, still a big open smile. She made me laugh because she told me she'd got a driving conviction for kissing her boyfriend whilst driving! She said her dad was furious, thought it was disgraceful. I liked Anne. I was allowed to go to a school dance one Friday because she promised my parents that she'd keep an eye on me. I was 13 and she'd be 15 or 16, but they thought she was sensible. It was 22/11/63 and when I got home, TV was just playing sombre music.

Ian T rings a bell, but I can't picture him. But I've remembered someone called Graham who got on at The Harlequin. He was tall and skinny with very blond hair and lived on The Crescent at the top of Woodside Road.

You're probably right about the Beeson guy. The grounds were enormous but well kept. He terrified me, so I'd go off to Shelford or East Bridgford.

Who is Davey???

Anne Jepson was definitely horse mad and we both learnt horse riding at the Riding School next to my house at 12 Cliff Drive. Barbara (Hall?) was the owner and instructress and on many occasions, when I was going home from ROT Infants and Barbara was leading a horse (either on another horse or on her pushbike) from the blacksmiths, I could get a free ride.

In those days, the Riding School occupied most of the land that Trentview Gardens sits on, right down to the cliff top path (the same as our house had all the land down to the cliff top and now has two other houses on it!). Looking at Google, it looks as though the original house still sits on the corner of Cliff Drive and Trentview Gardens and of course, in the 50s, only one other house between there and Shelford Road with a big orchard running most of the way on that side (beautiful juicy apples).

The last time I saw Anne was in 63 at a Village Fair somewhere east of ROT (think she had something to do with the donkey races?). I went back to spend a weekend with mates before moving down to Bournemouth prior to moving out here. I stayed at Dave Astles parents place - his father (Hubert) ran the then tobacconist shop on the corner of Shelford and Main Roads opposite the Co-op and what is now a Real Estate Agent. Dave drove his fathers car to the Fair and it was packed with the boys; most of whose names escape me except for the son of the Vicar of ROT St Marys, Tony Richardson. If only his father knew what his son got up to!!!! That weekend was a send off to remember.

If you should by chance (you never know) bump into Anne or happen to find out where she is, ask her if she is interested in corresponding with me. The wife and I are coming out there soon and it would be good to catch up with her.

Ian T was a skinny and dark haired.....Do not remember a Graham.

You didn't live anywhere near Dormy Close when at the Harlequin??

Guest Phoenix

Yeah, who is Davey??? Blummin interloper!

Sorry Trevor S. Must've slipped into a parallel universe...

Well your post brought back a whole host of memories, thank you. I used to go riding and had lessons at East Bridgford. I had to save for ages because you weren't allowed to ride without jodhpurs and suitable boots. But after I'd got those dreadful cavalry twill monstrosities with bat wings on the the thighs, no stopping me! We used to go for rides along the Trent embankment.

Strange to think, 50 years on, that we were probably wandering around that very same summer fair. I remember walking into ROT one Saturday afternoon to an event...in fields on the right just on the outskirts of the village going out towards your home. There were stalls and rides.

Tony Richardson...I think every girl with a pulse had a hot spot for him. I'd heard about him and suffered two weeks at some youth club run by the vicar in the ( vain) hope of his being there. I was never intended to make baskets out of willow twigs, so sadly, my infatuation was shortlived!

Don't remember Dorny Close, Trevor. I lived on Woodside Road. Did Ian T play golf. Now I'm thinking about a former ACHS, older than me who was golf mad and pretty good. He was thin and dark haired.

I'm feeling a bit guilty about hijacking a thread...maybe I should PM?

I'd happily pass on yr msg to Anne.. Who knows when paths cross? I'm no longer anywhere near that former stomping ground, but ...

Just would not want to use the Forum like a personal Facebook but, thanks all the same Michael. Others might not share the same view as you. slywink

Guest Phoenix

Trevor, I've found the PM bit here. I have ISP difficulty at the moment. 47 'undelivered mail' today caused my provider to suspend my account due to unusual activity. Looks like some malware at work but it's affecting my connection until sorted.

I'm conscious of being new here and don't wish to go off topic. It's a thin line between personal memories and general memories sometimes, so thanks to those who've confirmed interest. I'll make a conscious effort to remain on thread but add positively as well.

Trevor, do you have the ACHS photo from, I think, 62 or 63? Are you on it? I'm behind Anne J; we're laughing.

What about teacher memories...Mr Ring the art master. He seemed more ex forces than 'arty', but was a kind soul. I remember trying to throw a pot but felt physically sick and giddy by trying to turn the wheel with my feet and manage a lump of un manipulative clay. I loathed sewing so was delighted that pupils were able to chose; needlework, metalwork, domestic science or woodwork. In my year a few girls, self included, did woodwork and metalwork. In fact I still have a magazine rack I made with a mix of dowels and dovetails and a beaten copper dish with soldered brass feet. The basic skills acquired have helped numerous DIY ventures ( with mixed success) over 50 years. At the time, I didn't appreciate the fact that the school was gender neutral on such things.

Does anyone recall the names of the pupils who were killed in a car crash, around 64 or 65? I think there were 4 fatalities and I remember a lot of sadness and weeping when we heard the announcement in assembly on the Monday.

• Upvote 1

Phoenix - Unfortunately I have no photographs and will look on Friends Reunited.

Incidentally, the only photo of myself on Friends Reunited was at ACHS at the back of the Dutch barn in the Smokers Room. There were quite a few others with myself in them but they have all ben taken off the site. I believe it was due to the passing of Dave Allen (Gallon) a few years ago and his family requesting the removal of any pictures containing him. A shame really on both counts, his loss and the fact that I never kept copies of the photos.

Remember Mr Ring and also my attempts at throwing a pot. In my time, the wheels were between the Metalwork and DS areas and no, I could never get the clay to look like a pot or even an ashtray.

Strange that you should mention doing metalwork and making a copper dish with legs. I made an oval copper dish, beaten out on a thick leather sandbag and patterned wit a peening hammer, going round and round in circles from the centre to the outer edge. Remember cooling the dish in the tub on the floor next to the sink. My dish had three brass legs and was worthy of a place in an Art Gallery.

As for girls doing metalwork etc. that must have changed on the quiet as I can never remember girls in the Metalwork classes.....only DS and I will tell you now..... AJ was a good cook who sometimes shared some of her cooking with us on the bus home.

Made a wrought iron stand and planter box, called a 'jardinière' in metalwork. Stood about 2 foot tall, three foot long and a foot wide, four legs and enclosing a tin garden box for the length of the top. Helen Luff was not too happy about me having that on the bus as it took all the room up under the stairs and schoolbags were spilling out onto the platform.

Alas, the jardinière, the copper dish and most other things were left over there with rellies when we moved out here and are now lost forever.

I do not recollect the car crash but then again, I had probably left the country at that stage.

Guest Phoenix

More fascinating memories Trevor.

I think the non gender specific attitude the school took in the early 60s was under appreciated. Equality legislation wasn't introduced until 1976 and is still subject to challenge. And yet Arnold school was offering equality of opportunity as a matter of course and we took it for granted in a way. It worked the other way too. I'm not sure if any of the lads took needlework, but some did domestic science. Even to O level and I know of one guy, Tony Mellor, who continued to A level.

The school also offered Russian as a language. Most were doing French or German. Maybe not so remarkable now, but the early 60s was the height of the Cold War. In fact I remember standing around a contraband transistor that someone had brought in to school one morning break, then lunchtime to listen in to whether the nuclear button was going to be pushed. Looking back, there was a real sense of fear about the East/West differences and what might happen next.

I've been trying to remember other names:

Alfie Hinds, taught chemistry and made it interesting.

Mr. Thomson, dep head who taught French and who died 'in harness'. I remember the flag at half mast on arrival one morning asthe poor man had died the previous day. I fact, thinking back, did most schools have flag which was raised daily?

Mr Sargeant, music. Thanks to him, I still listen to Prokofiev, Peter and the Wolf with a finely tuned ear. But I confess I could never totally embrace his love for Joan Sutherland. Too screechy!

Were you there in the 63 winter? The canal through West Bridgford was frozen for months. Or the time of a few real pea souper fogs. One day, we were told that because of the fog, we were being sent home early and buses were waiting. The fog was so thick, we had trouble finding them parked by the school. It took about an hour to get to Nottingham and at Trent Bridge, Helen said they weren't going any further and were dropping us all off. I started to walk home...it was miles! I walked for about an hour, was soaked because fog is so wet and suddenly my dad stopped. He'd left his office early and saw me walking along the kerb on the dual carriageway. I'd only got to the start!

• Upvote 1

Ha Ha...Phoenix, I know for a fact that none of my group of mates took needlework or DS and I do not remember hearing of any that did back in those days.

I seem to remember that Russian was taught as a subject language towards the end of me school career ( a small class) but at the onset in 59, only French and German as languages.

Jim Briers taught us French and was a top teacher. Only one problem: - learning by rote in a classroom, slowly and deliberately, did not prepare you for speaking the language and being understood by the French!!!

In 62, the family went across to France on the ferry from Dover to Calais, drove down through Rheims, Arras, Marseilles to a small seaside resort called Bandol and then later up through Switzerland, across to Dunkirk and eventually back home. I thought I had a basic understanding of the French language and would be able to get by on our travels. The first time I tried to organise rooms for a night in a rural pension, I am afraid that the lady could not understand my schoolboy French and we were at a complete impasse until another woman came on the scene who could speak both languages. Bloody embarrassing as everybody thought it a great joke, including the French! Never volunteered nor was asked to speak French for the rest of the trip. Sign language and pidgin English was all they got out of me from that point on!

My father really rubbed it in when started conversing with an Italian family in their own language and to my ears, fluently. During the war, he had fought across Africa and then up through Italy and he could still remember the language some 20 years later. Smart Rs parents!

Jones (chrome dome) taught us Chemistry and Sargeant was the music teacher.

The flag pole was next to the caretakers house at the front of the school and he was responsible for raising and lowering the flag.

By the winter of 63, we were living in Bournemouth but I can remember many a frozen canal and even the Trent being partially frozen one year. And as for the pea soupers, many a time we left ACHS early because of the incoming fog and you could see it coming down Gedling Road from Mapperley Plains. Funny, it is only now that I realised that Roys Coaches always got us home but as to whether they got back to the depot on Mapperly Plains is something never considered.

Talking of walking home, it was in 62 and we were then living at Wollaton. We were released early from ACHS because of a heavy fog forecast. Instead of going straight home, a group of us went to a friends place on Mapperley Road where we listened to records, smoked and discussed everything under the sun. The heavy fog was completely forgotten until the father of the house got home and told us that the fog was that thick the buses had stopped running.

Cut a long story short, I walked from Mapperley Plains to Nottingham, up and along Derby Road to Wollaton and home at Mapledene Crescent. It was freezing cold, wet, dark and eerie; particularly walking along the footpath alongside Wollaton Park. Something was walking and keeping pace with me the other side of the wall and when I stopped, the movement through the leaves the other side stopped as well. For the rest of the trip along the Park wall, I was running down the centre of the road! No traffic and no one around but no, I was not frightened - just S*&t scared.

Home before midnight, sore throat, soaking wet, weary and to be told by my parents that next time I should come home like the school intended, in between my loving parents bouts of laughter about the Park episode.

Your walk from WB along the bypass to ROT would have been an epic as well, particularly with no street lighting for the majority of the way. Lucky your father came along when he did!

• Upvote 2
Guest Phoenix

Those fogs were something!

I remembered something else; chrome dome's party piece. Did you ever see him suddenly stand on one leg, hook his hand round his other ankle and pull his lower leg ( below the knee) up and out in one swift movement. The end result was him standing on one leg with the lower half of his other leg clasped parallel to the thigh; foot right next to his hip. Seriously, it was the most bizarre act of contortion I've ever seen and it's lived long because I can picture him now. He did it once in the science theatre where there was an auditorium and area for films etc. as. Pupils, we were stupefied and it must have been one of the very few occasions where we were lost for words, other than do it again sir. But he declined!

And Mr Adler with his false eye that he used to remove and bounce around. Can you imagine if a teacher did that now. There'd be litigation for post traumatic stress disorder!

• Upvote 1

I can do the same with my right leg...creaks a bit now and not quite parallel with the thigh but almost!

Larry Adler was a character....had the black and cream Daimler and he bought it to out garage on Castle Boulevard for a service. He was told to stand back when the hoist was lowered after the service but no...he moved close and was about to open his door when he realised his toes were under the car ramp. Never forget his eye....bulged out that far he nearly lost another one as well. Lucky the mechanic saw his reaction and guessed what had happened and reversed the ramp.

What about the old lady - Mrs Lynch - who used to take English Literature and smoked in the class room! All us smokers suffered in silence until the next break.

Then there was Mr Glover who took RI and if I remember correctly, geography.

It has many fine memories and was a great school in its day.