Anybody out there who went to Arnold County High School (as it was known at the start) from the day the school opened in 59?

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello,   I've only just discovered this site and have enjoyed reading the comments which bring back great memories from 60 years ago. I started at ACHS at the beginning,September 1959,a

Hello,   I'm glad more people are discovering this site. Dennis M above,was that Janet Britten?I seem to remember her from my time at ACHS from the first day in September 1959 to when I

Was on a bus trip in Sicily yesterday. Recognised a Midland accent behind us. He was bought up in Underwood and went to Arnold County High School. He started Sept 61. The small world gets smaller.

Posted Images

Prior to the opening of the school, the students who were destined to be it's first intake were farmed out to other schools in the area, Bramcote Hills Grammar being one of them where I went as a first former in 1958. One of my best friendships made at that time was with one of the Arnold intake, Dave Briers, who at the time lived on Arnot Hill Road.

Greetings Commo,

I was at BHGS as a 1st Former in 58 prior to goimg to ACHS. Can't remember Dave Briers but do remember the cross country runs in all weather from the school, across the fields to the canal and finally back down Moor Lane!

Hi Trevor, I still find it facinating to meet up wth folk whose paths crossed so long ago! Your recollections of the Cross Country have stayed in my memory as a nightmare from then, and elsewhere on the Forums is a discussion regarding Moor Lane with photos, and that cutting thro' the rock still sends a shiver down my spine!

Dave Briers was the only ACHS bod I was specifically friends with at BHGS, we somehow tended to stay within our own groupings. I last saw Dave about 1967 when I came across him walking around town, he was I believe at Nottm School of Art.

Another ex ACHS lad I knew at my first job was John Day, who lived in Mapperley at the time and was same age as us so would have probably been at ACHS with you.

• 8 months later...

Hi to all. I have just joined the site and my first contribution is....I was on the first intake of pupils to join the County High School way..way...way back in 59/60/61. Sorry but my "old-timers" is kicking in when ever I attempt to recall dates any further back that 1963. However, Professor Higgngton was the Prime minister ( head master). I was in Pundit House and prior to that I had been attending Eastwood secondary Tech based ...obviously in Eastwood. It was such a long schlep from where we lived in Gedling and I was so glad when we relocated to Arnold which was just up Gedling lane and across Mapperley (road?) Biked it in fifteen minutes. Mr Newton was Maths and poor old Mr Adler was the french teacher who took so much stick from our class. Mr Salmon was the English teacher and I had so much respect for him , mainly because I was a difficult person to teach and he was prepared to spend time with me. However, life went on and I was , I think , the first to leave the school departing five months before we sat the big one ( GCEs).

Although I didn't go to ACHS I knew two or three teachers who were there at the beginning. I lived next door to Eric Fenwick who taught English, I also knew Jim Briars (don't know what he taught), he was a big pal of Eric. Just a few doors away lived Mr Flint, who taught PE ....... his wife gave me her bike!

Fancy that, I was in Notts AC too !! Used to go to Harvey Hadden 3 times a week around 64/65 and then on one very wet cold Sunday morning I decided I wouldn't bother getting a bus into town and then a bus out to Bilborough and that was it, I never went again! No dedication thumbsdown

I remember the name Richard Perkins but that's all, but I do remember Sara Neville (but I didn't remember her christian name) The Nevilles lived about half a mile away from me so I knew her a little bit.

Hi Lizzie, was at Notts from 1964 till 69..... Les wall was my coach and was very lazy with the training sessions, but always competed for them at the city league in the week and county level at the weekends....as you were at Carlton le willows, you would have taken part in the south notts athletics ?

Yes Chrissie, # 9, I remember Les Wall and I competed in City League and South Notts but didn't achieve County standard. I always did well at school but the standard was so much higher away from school level. I recall going with the crowd on a road/cross country run through Bilborough to Wollaton Park a few times. We had it tough ...... running on cinder tracks !! I've got a newspaper clipping with photo of a bunch of girls, including me, at a South Notts schools event ..... I'll try to find it and bring it along to the next meet-up.

Although I didn't go to ACHS I knew two or three teachers who were there at the beginning. I lived next door to Eric Fenwick who taught English, I also knew Jim Briars (don't know what he taught), he was a big pal of Eric. Just a few doors away lived Mr Flint, who taught PE ....... his wife gave me her bike!

Jim Briars taught French. At one stage early in his tenure at ACHS, he lived in a caravan in an orchard across the road from the school.

As for the teacher named Adler in Post #5 - was known as Larry Adler behind his back and taught German as well. He only had one eye and drove an old cream and black Daimler sedan. Pandit House was next to Aylward House from memory and shared the same kitchen?

My brother was in Aylward House, he went there in 66. Gladys Aylward visited the school during his time there I seem to remember.

Jim Briars was a lovely man, we went to his wedding! He took a long time to find himself a bride ....... for those days anyway. He was at Arnold High for years. Wonder if he's still alive?

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...

There were a couple, from memory.

A Miss Lynch - taught English Lit, was in her 60s back then and smoked like a chimney; including the odd one in class whilst she sat next to an open window. She was there when the school opened.

Another female, cannot remember her name but she was in her late 20s, early 30s, a good looker and taught maths in the early 60s.

Another nameless female who was a sour individual in her 30s who taught History.

Miss Ring, a skinny 30 something years old who taught something somewhere.

The female Domestic Science teacher.

I also seem to recall a female PE teacher in my latter years but never really knew her.

Jim Briars taught French. If i remember he got wound up easily :P

Deja Vu...Post #12.

Jim Briars taught French. He would also use the knotted end of his gown without hesitation across the back of your head (I know!). Would throw the odd piece of chalk with deadly accuracy as well.

You were lucky to get the chalk, one of our gestapo at Redhill school in 1977 launched a board rubber at the lad in front of me fortunately he managed to duck in time and it hit the poor unsuspecting lad sitting next to me with a blood curdling thwack. Not wanting to be left out of the new found past time he proceeded to launch the board rubber back at the unfortunate teacher who spent the rest of the lesson trying to remove half a pound of chalk dust from his threadbare sports jacket with the obligitary leather elbow patches,

Needless to say nothing further was said on the subject for the rest of term but I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall in the staffroom that lunchtime, listening to his explanation for the golfball shaped lump which had mysteriously appeared on his forehead since morning fagbreak

Our Arts teacher was rather like that. Very volatile yet a very bad aimer of things.

Was it Mr Swift(?) who was the P.T. teacher. Got me interested in to rugby and I still enjoy watching rather than playing..

Flint was the ACHS PT teacher in late 50s-early 60s.

"Chrome Dome' Jones, the chemistry teacher, was the rugby guru who ran the rugby games during PT and was also the coach for the ACHS Rugby Team. Enjoyed his rugby, did Chrome Dome - almost fanatical.

Read that he died a few years back. A top gentleman.

Wasn't Swift a science teacher as well? Seem to recollect that Jones and another science teacher used to take us for Rugby - Flint was more the indoor trainer and field athletics.

Tim Flint, I knew him well as he was a neighbour. There was another man who lived near us (we only lived around the corner from the school) This chap I think taught Biology, a bit of a botanist if I remember correctly. Dark haired and not very tall.

I remember that it was Mr Flint who took our form for rugby and a damned fine instructor he was. Made sport very enjoyable.

Mr Salmon was my English Teacher and I remember him with affection because he had quite a job on his hands yet carried out his lessons with gentility and humour.

For some reason he never knew that I had been to so many schools since the age of five ( about ten including ACHS ) and was rather disruptive in class, yet he was willing to persevere with me and even though it didn't dawn on me until quite some years later, he had been successful in giving me a love of the english language and of reading for pleasure as well as education. So, Many thanks to you Sir.

• 4 weeks later...

Commo, I was scrolling through the PTP archives and found the below picture of the Canal that we have spoken about on the cross country runs at BHGS.

We would have been running along the towpath on the left and towards the camera - the only thing missing is the ice and snow!

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM006950&prevUrl=

• Like 1

Hello everyone.

An old pupil leaving Arnold High in 1966!! Sure that my French teacher was 'Mrs. Lillie'. Miss Mould came in there somewhere, Biology I think. Mr. Barlow I'm sure was the English teacher. Been a long time since I spotted somethig written about those years.

Best wishes