EY UP Adrian, i worked with a Rob Redmile at AB.Gibsons in the 70s,he was a 'buyer' nice lad good footballer, wondered if its the same bloke?

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello,   I've only just discovered this site and have enjoyed reading the comments which bring back great memories from 60 years ago. I started at ACHS at the beginning,September 1959,a

Hello,   I'm glad more people are discovering this site. Dennis M above,was that Janet Britten?I seem to remember her from my time at ACHS from the first day in September 1959 to when I

Was on a bus trip in Sicily yesterday. Recognised a Midland accent behind us. He was bought up in Underwood and went to Arnold County High School. He started Sept 61. The small world gets smaller.

Posted Images

Could be. He lived in Arnold in the 50's 60's. We were both good footballers. I was the first to score a goal from the corner in the Dutch Barn. Miskicked it and it bent in - goalie wasn't watching obviously but I figured out what I did and was able to be useful on the right wing. No good with left foot. Rob had dark hair, fairly darkish skin ( I was dead white) , left in 66, Lost touch with him then. I went to Oz. Not by choice.

ADI

Sounds like him,last i heard he was still a buyer at a cash/carry Lenton,i played football with him for 'Gibsons' we were the 'twin centre halfs',happy days!

• Upvote 1

We were great friends from 63 - 66, We got drunk together New Years Eve 65/66. He was invited to a party in Arnold, he invited me , we both got thrown out before we got in - probably because of me as I had a reputation ( name called out at every assembly for detention). We got drunk. I managed to get the last city bus back to the square but the last #21 had gone (gone midnight) and I was walking down Arkwright St drinking a bottle of cider and a mini-van pulled up., a car ran into the back of it, pouring rain, - they lived 2 doors away from me and gave me a lift home .

We got into trouble as usual in Mr Pothecary's maths class for mucking about, and had to see him in his little office in Aylward. We stood there and for some reason I started laughing and then Rob did and then he looked at us and it became uncontrollable, belly hurting laughing - for no reason and we couldn't stop - we just left. He never said anything about it - just thought we wee mad I suppose.

In 66 Rob had a girlfriend for a short time , Susan , a year below, and her friend Maria Hawker liked me - and I liked her - She was beautiful, tall, dark hair, she came to my place in Edwalton a couple of times but I'd already known since January I was going to Oz ( no one else knew) and I was naïve, and just couldn't string her along . She must have thought I didn't like her. She lived in Arnold , her father ran a business there I think.

Troubled times.

But yes Rob was a great bloke. A good friend.

Did he have kids? married etc?

• Upvote 1

I remember Peter Long was one of the first kids I met at the Valley Road pickup in W. Bridgford . He was a year , maybe 2, ahead of me. He lived almost next to the pickup point in Alford Rd, He had a great artistic talent. He was able to draw naked women from memory/scratch - I presume - ( brilliant master pieces to me at the time of course) - a great drawer - should have become an artist but I lost contact with him as time went on.We sat together on bus.usually as last on. Ralph had occupied the back seat which I wanted.

#104, I'M not sure on this,but ive got notion its Robs son who played for Notts co in the 90s,?

The last time i heard of him was about 10 yrs ago when he worked at a Cash/carry called Hyperama' in Lenton,

................. Charlie Phipps were in the year above.

Will write more when I get a chance - Adi

PS What year did you come and go Trevor?

Charlie Phipps was one of the smokers in our group that used to gather at the back of the Barn or other places on the school grounds, depending on the weather and teacher activity.

I started in 59 when ACHS opened after completing my first year at Bramcote Hills Grammar whilst waiting for ACHS to be built. Left ACHS in the summer of 63 at the end of 5th Form and after the 'O' Levels.

Was in the Gladys Aylward House.

• Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...

Everyone called me Adi. Was there with Rob Redmile Johny Joyce and Andy Vasilevsksis, Lap, (All from 2H) . I started I think in 63. Left afetr GCE's in 66 - went (sent) toAustralia. I had long hair from 3rd form, Wore cuban heel boots, My name was callede out at ecvery Assemby for long detention.thans to that awful man Spellman. No one played rugby. I remember that huge PE teacher trying to get us to play Union and we were confused -"what is this garbage?" and some of refused to play so , strangely he let us play proper football which we had played since being able to stand up. In 2H was Michael Friar, the 'twins", "Flash:' Skill. But it all came alive in 3rd form, music, dress , hair etc. We even went bowling on sports days. Me and Rob and Jeff Sellars and others. Sam was there too, Robert Samuelson . Susan Briers was in 2H. Glenys Edmunds was in my year and years later we got together and went back and forth to Australia . We had a "school holiday" to Austria - Kitzbuhl. In the school photo of 63 I am in the third row from the front above the writing between the L in School and A in Arnold I think.What happened to Johny - I liked him - we had lots of good converstaions. He was bright.

Which year wwre you in ? - Rob went with a girl called Sue , a year below and her friendMaria Hawker liked me , and I her, but I knew I was gooing to Oz so could not really do anything - I put her off deliberately. I was always in love with Glenys. She lived in Willow Lane Gedling , near Mick Flint who lived in Earl Crescent. Alison Gath was in 3rd form with me in Schwietzre - from Beeston I think. None of us got to socialize much outside school due to the distances - me in Edwalton , Rob and Sam in Arnold. etc etc. We did go to Goose Fair once and my tale of woe with Rob at 1966 New year's Eve is above. Mick and I were forming a band - I ha a crappy guitar and Mick was a good drummer. Charlie Phipps wanted to sing of course - a show pony but a great bloke, and Paul Livock had a bass. Never wenr anywher as I left for Oz.

Gillian Bales was a girl I went out with once -disasterously as I was far too young. We met on the Austria holiday.

I had a rucksack which I painted white and the painted all my favourite groups on the back. That would have stood out.

Let me know if this rings any bells.

Cheers , ADI.

• Upvote 1

Am I able to download photos, report cards JPEG or PDF onto a post here ? Would be great. Have all my report cards and the 63 Arnold High photo off Friends Re-united + my own photocopy. If any one has an original of any school photos please do tell me. Am bringing my thoughts together to relate my Arnold High experience. It takes time as other memories come as you relive events and you remember things LONG forgotten. In the back f your mind - I have to write them down. I think I really "skimmed" the whole experience , because of troubles at home. Coming back from Austria I was taken to another home - my parents had moved in the meantime ,didn't tell me. Sounds like Eric Olltwaite in Ripping Yarns but they'd decorated a room for me etc. ?? Any way , can I download images?

Hi. Not sure about the timing but i left in 66. Names i remember are a good few of those you have said. Few more r martin bayley, stephen hind, penny barrand, maureen hemingway, robert webb, mrs. Lilley taught me french. Mr barlow - english. Miss. Mould came in somewhere. Biology i think. We used to do lot of house parties in those days too. Helen woolston and beverley ? I was from gedling. Johnny lived on ousebridge drive i think. Charlie was the rebel leader. Thinking cap back on in a bit.

• Upvote 1

Maureen was Glenys's best friend. Penny was in Roosevelt and Sam (robert Samuelson) had a crush on her until Michaeal Butt took over. THE GLOBE, that was it , THE Flea Pit we called it. Was Martin Bayley the boy who hung around the girls - just perhaps a bit girlish? Could be some one else - there was one.

Dont remember that bit about martin. Beverley baker was the name i forgot. Michael butt i remember. Penny was who i hung around with. She lived up mapperley. There was a sandra greenwood. I was 14 when i went out with johnny. Jeff sellars i knew as he lived in gedling too. Will look through photo box this weekend.

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone, I've just joined the forum after reading our old Head's book "A School is born" and it raised quite a few memories. May I firstly correct Trev S in Post #71 - I haven't passed away. My nickname at school was "Gallon", John Tanner gave it me in the second year after seeing my name tag in my blazer which was "D... G. Allen". I remember you Trev S, I have the photo's of the Smoke Room at the back of the Dutch Barn, and the ones at the end of the hockey pitch....and the Aylward House photo. I will dig them out and post them again. I remember quite a few characters from those days: Billy Bugg, Jess Jennings, Brian Andrews, Dave Wells, Carl Beeson, Wilf Heard for starters. I remember Rick Howard being killed in a motorbike accident just after we all left after our 5th Year and his funeral. There's been at least three reunions since, went to two. Oh the memories. More later. Best wishes to all

• Upvote 1