Welcome to the Forum Gunner, you'll find lots of interesting stuff on here so get browsing and posting.

Did you know Dave Briers at ACHS? He was also at Bramcote for the first year and although I stayed at Bramcote we retained our friendship for a few years before losing touch.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello,   I've only just discovered this site and have enjoyed reading the comments which bring back great memories from 60 years ago. I started at ACHS at the beginning,September 1959,a

Hello,   I'm glad more people are discovering this site. Dennis M above,was that Janet Britten?I seem to remember her from my time at ACHS from the first day in September 1959 to when I

Was on a bus trip in Sicily yesterday. Recognised a Midland accent behind us. He was bought up in Underwood and went to Arnold County High School. He started Sept 61. The small world gets smaller.

Posted Images

Hi LizzieM and Commo, yest I do remember Dave Briers. Very clever lad, remember his homework for, I think, a physics project on light refraction where not only had he drawn a diagram of the principle, but made it into an entire cartoon of a fisherman, rod and all, at the riverside, catching fish, pipe in hand, tankard of ale and so on. Absolutely brilliant. Talented? evry much so.

Gunner, I always find it fascinating that connections can be made so long after! Yes, Dave was a really clever lad, I struggled to try to keep up but not very successfully. I believe he went on to Nottingham Art School where we lost touch.

I have just been telling Mrs Commo about this, she met him with me once in Town, and she wonders whether the Carl Beeson you knew was the same one she went wth to Annie Holgate Junior?

Commo, I couldn't be sure. He was a big lad I remember, but I don't have any photo's of him and I didn't know him before ACHS. I'm almost sure he was at the reunion held at the Castle, Long Gallery, but I could be confused. Am just racking my brains (what's left of them after a lifetime of excess) for names both of the people I knew and of the staff. May I come back to you on this one please?

I reckon you've got the right one, Mrs C says he was a big lad! She tried to contact some folk fro. Annie Holgate on Friends Reunited a couple of years back with no success but found out that he was running a micro brewery at the time.

Yes, you're right - he mentioned it at the re-union and a few months later there was an article in the "Nottinghamshire" magazine about him, pictures too. Wonder if I've still got it, must have a rummage

Gallon.........Great to hear you are still with us. I could not believe my eyes when I saw your avatar and initially thought someone must have been using your image from one of our smoko pictures.

As for you passing away.....thank FRU for that. Browsing through the FRU ACHS site some time back, I saw that any photo or reference to you had been removed. Checked with FRU and they said such action normally at request of person for whatever reason or, their family after they had passed away.

Checked a couple of mining sites out looking for you but to no avail either.

As someone once said, "The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

It is good to have someone who went through ACHS in the same years.....those names at #124 are blasts from the past. I have tried to trace Brian Andrews to no avail - we lived a couple of houses from each other in ROT and went through ROT Infant School, Bramcote and ACHS.

It was sad to hear about Rick Howard. His father had the plumbing business on M. Plains Road and from memory, he also died in a motor cycle accident.

I shall PM you as soon as I can but meanwhile.............remember "You wanna fight?"

Great to hear you again, Gall... :jumping:

Hi Trev, good to hear from you.

I've re-enlisted to FRU and added the other smoke room photo's and the Aylward House one on to that site. The dates may be wrong - but it's gotta be between 59 and 63. I spent the remainder of yesterday rummaging thru' old box files looking to see what photo's and articles I had. Most are what my old mum (RIP) had saved, she even kept my old school books which will be fascinating to read after 50 years (?) Could not find the "Nottinghamshire Today" mag with the article on Carl Beeson and his micro-brewery but I live in hope, things like that are just not destroyed in this household. Will start scanning and add them in due course.

The removal of my info from FRU was more than likely my fault. I remember trying to re-arrange photo's and info some years ago and ended up deleting the lot. In frustration, I put the whole business to one side and just never got around to doing it all again. Never occurred to me that I'd be considered deceased but no harm done now hopefully. Still tottering on, 68 next week. Packed up smoking nearly 30 years ago but all that time smoking (from 13 yrs old) and then 10 years on the coal face at Calverton wrecked my chest.

Had a quick glance at your profile and see you're in Melbourne. What a coincidence, I have 2 ex-Army mates living over in Oz and one of them also lives in Melbourne, other in Perth. They come over every year and we have a good old session.

More names for you: Gill Turner (now Hind), Anne Baker, Angela Lakin, Anne Jepson, Richard Croft, Christine Hill, Hazel Nuttall, Alan Seymour, Colin Wilkinson and Colin Humphries (just about my best mate at Bramcote); Staff: Dr Higginson of course, Mr Ring (Art), his wife (Domestic Science, I think), Brian Thompson (Biology), Mr (Dr?) Jones (Biology and Rugby occasionally), Tomlinson (Metalwork, Woodwork and Tech Drawing), Jim Briars (French), Adler (German (& History I think)), Miss Carter (History), Mr Pilgrim (Music) - think he was at BHGS 1st year and Mr Salmon (English Lang and Lit). Brian Thompson used to live in a caravan in the orchard across the road from the school entrance. Great bloke. Mr Salmon was probably the teacher who gave me the incentive to actually do anything academic at ACHS, everyone else had given up. Dr Jones wrote a poem about various pupils (including you and I) whist we were at ACHS. I have a copy, interested?

Anyway, enough for the moment. Keep in touch if you have time. All the best.

"Gall"

• Upvote 2

Gall....considering you have come back from the dead, perhaps you should change your tag to Lazarus... :rotfl:

Those years are correct, we were at Bramcote Gramar in 58 and then ACHS 59 onwards. I remember Beeson fairly well, big fella and a tendency to be vocal IIRR.

Those additional names are familiar, none more than Jepson who lived close to me in ROT and with whom I travelled through Infants school and on to ACHS. She was a good cook as well and I enjoyed cadging biscuits and cakes off her on the school bus on the way home after she had Domestic Science. Remember Seymour and Humphries. Remember Hill, an artist of some repute if you recollect.

You have the teachers right except maybe you forget that ChromeDome Jones was the coach for the ACHS Rugby team and tried to get us on the team? I am pretty sure it was Jim Briers who lived in the caravan across the road in the orchard and Lizzie M bears this one out.

Here is a couple of memories for you; remember the school play at the Arnold St Marys Church one year and you and I were in charge of scenery but spent most of the time out on the roof of the spire, smoking and looking down below at the people attending the play. Great views over the town at night!

The other thing that sticks out is the repair and decorating of the male toilets; a work of art. Remember going down into Arnold one day - you, me and another fellow whose name escapes me. We went and had tea and biscuits at your Aunts(?) and she gave you some money towards the renovations. We then went into Arnold and bought paints etc?

That Coventry Eagle you had which I thought so good, I managed to score one of the same colour for Christmas...................................................Memories.

This poem that you have that Jones wrote............would be good to see it; providing nothing detrimental about life at ACHS - my wife, kids and grandkids read this Forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The reason I was looking for you and was disappointed when you had gone was to ask you if you had ever been down here to Oz.

Just watch for the PM.......See you Gall. hellothere

Hi y'all,

Just a quickie, have to shop and then visit the doc's to check my pulse. Lizzie (and Trev) you may be right about the caravan resident, but I could have sworn that Thompson lived in it for at least the first couple of years, and I'm sure someone mentioned it on FRU some years ago. No probs, my memory isn't what it was. The art work of Hlil .............oh yes, I remember that well Trev, but not sure I dare mention it on a public site! Something closely associated with the Profumo scandal, yes ? and the boys loos near to Aylward House ? Oops, giving away too much. Jones actually got me into the Rugby team and I played quite a few games v. other schools on the Saturday mornings, second row forward, great fun. Carried on playing thru' my army days until I broke my leg for the first time in January '68. The school play at St Mary's - I'm looking at the programme as I type: December 15th to 17th 1961 - "The Coming of Christ" starring William Bugg, Peter Jennings, Angela Lakin, Gill Turner, Alan Seymour, and many others to numerous to mention. I shall scan and publish in due course. You know, they didn't mention us as the scene shifters? That's awful. But you're right Trev, far better on the church tower! The poem, again I will scan, but will PM it to you for you to vet. Have to go, will be back....... All the best, Gall

Could one of you old Arnoldians please remind me how you were grouped at BHGS for the first year ? Were you grouped in one Form or were there two streams?

Gunner, Jim Briars (French) was at BHGS the first year, but I reckon that Jack Pilgrim (Music) was there for my entire interment period ending in 1963.

What is this problem regarding your pulse, Gall?

Yes, Gall.....most definitely not for public eyes re the dunny door artwork story. Look forward to receiving the PM re that poem?

As for the role of scene shifters at the St Marys school play........did we ever actually move any scenery after the first night???? I seem to recollect we let the players and teachers do it after that - it was just some old papier-mâché rocks and painted back boards anyway.

Commo....ACHS took a lot of the teachers from BHGS in 59, including Jim Briers. Music was definitely not my forte and the triangle was my preferred instrument. The recorder was something else - all those holes!!!!!!!!!! I seem to recollect the name Sargeant for music at ACHS but as I never was interested; I am unable to comment.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Commo, just looking back on your post re BHGS classes and streaming. There were two years, 1958-9 was my First Year and there was a Second Year there. I think there were two classes in each year but that's as far as my memory goes. Dr Higginson says in his book that ACHS began in 1959 with 393 pupils (on page 3) and 360 (on page 5). Split that between three years of which the First Year at ACHS was a new year, 120 in each, divided between two schools, BHGS and Eastwood Tech - and my brain has just turned to jelly!!!!! Best of luck in your research! He does say in the book though that that "no streaming was done in the lower school." (page 27). The name Pilgrim rings a bell, but so does Sargent, and I think one of them wrote the school hymn "With Reverence, Risk All".

Trev. Pulse check - figure of speech mate, I have to have a medication check annually, painkillers, inhalers etc 'cos of my mobility and chest problems. Everything fine otherwise. Scenery moving - oh I don't think so - the weather was glorious, even for December, far too nice to stay in a stuffy church. Great times. I have PM'd the poem to you hopefully, I had to re-type it out as I couldn't figure out a way of cutting and pasting but it's all there,verbatim. Some people might take it as derogatory, personally I didn't and I don't think Jones meant it as such, but like to be careful. I remember the biology class when the poem was found. Jones had to leave us in the lab on our own for some reason, and we went exploring in that little room that was attached to the lab - and there it was. Didn't see it again until the 1993 reunion when I went with my daughter (who,together with my son, also went to Arnold Hill as it was by then) and it was on a board for all to see. My daughter asked him for a copy and received a lovely letter from him a couple of weeks later with a copy of of it. Great bloke, amongst a lot of great teachers I thought. Even Higginson had his good points, though I do think he thought more of the academically minded than the less so, and his book reflects this. Hey ho

Gal...agree with you re Chrome Dome. He was a top teacher although he was lost for words when I took in that large jar chock full of bullheads - remember that?

I read Higginson's book a few years ago and was impressed by the story behind ACHS.....a shame I never realised it at the time.

You are right about the teachers....we had some good ones (as well as a few mediocre types) and it is only when you get more mature that you realise how good they were and what they tried to do for you.

Have sent you a PM and will PM in depth when able.

Cheers.................By the way, you still on the smokes??????????

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everybody,

I am new to this. I have really enjoyed reading so many of your hilarious memories and anecdotes.

This morning, sorting through yet more of my mum's stuff (she died last June I came across the "Programme" for Pride and Prejudice which I remember attending with my mum and dad at Arnold County High.

We lived in Mansfield and my brother was shipped off to Eastwood Hall until Arnold County High was ready. I remember how modern the school was and thinking I was glad I went to a grotty old school as it was not such a distraction as this lovely place!

My brother was Patrick Wilson and when they put on Pride and Prejudice I am amazed to see he was Mr Darcy. His friend, Michael Hill was Mr Collins. I had never read the book (still loved The Famous Five) but I do have vague recollections of people laughing. There is no date on the programme so I would be very glad to know if anybody remembers what year it was. Susan Houghton was Elizabeth Bennett.

Both Pat and Mike died in a car accident 14/09/66 so it would really be nice if anybody remembers my 6'4'' brother whom Mike called Lank!

Thanks,

Jean

• Upvote 1

Welcome to Nottstalgia Jean, there are at least two Nottstalgians who will no doubt remember your brother and his friend and you won't have to wait long before you get the information you're asking for.

Welcome to the Forum Jean, glad you've joined up and do keep browsing and posting with your memories and recollections.

The Sun will be up in sunny Oz about now so expect a post from there before too long.

Hello Jean, Welcome to Nottstalgia. So sorry your post is tinged with sadness for your brother and his friend. I hope you enjoy being part of Nottstalgia and that someone can recall some memories for you.

Welcome Pats sister,.................just take it...........in your stride,.......we are mostly harmless. :biggrin:

Welcome to Nottstalgia, Jean. I look forward to sharing your memories.... hellothere

I cannot put a face to either your brother Pat or his friend Mike, although the name Mike Hill seems familiar.

Perhaps Gunner, MattsDigs, Adrian Adams or jan.lowton might know of them........it is likely that they were both in the year above or below my class when ACHS opened its doors.

With regards to the accident that took their lives, Phoenix on the ACHS Forum at #70 was enquiring as to a tragic motor car accident than took 4 lives back in the late 60s....would that be the same one??

Any chance of posting a copy of the school play programme on here?

Admin/Moderators...Do you think that this topic might be better placed in the ACHS Forum????