What a good idea to add the programme. I see the much talked about Mr Flint is on here.

Husband has photographed it for me. It is a piece of folded yellow foolscap.

We are now going to try to attach it to this post.

Thank you for the encouraging comments!

JEANS HUSBAND HERE IN NEED OF SOME HELP. HOW DO I ATTACHED IMAGES TO THESE MESSAGES?

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello,   I've only just discovered this site and have enjoyed reading the comments which bring back great memories from 60 years ago. I started at ACHS at the beginning,September 1959,a

Hello,   I'm glad more people are discovering this site. Dennis M above,was that Janet Britten?I seem to remember her from my time at ACHS from the first day in September 1959 to when I

Was on a bus trip in Sicily yesterday. Recognised a Midland accent behind us. He was bought up in Underwood and went to Arnold County High School. He started Sept 61. The small world gets smaller.

Posted Images

Welcome to this site Pat's sister.............Will look forward to conversing with you......

Talk about a blast from the past, that programme was something else!

The names that I had forgotten, both teachers and students alike.....including Gunner on ticket sales???

Thank you.

What year was the play put on, Jean??????

Sorry for not replying sooner but was confused by move to another place. Doesn't take much!

To Phoenix, no it was not the accident mentioned there - "just" two!!

Glad the programme is sparking some memories.

We shall all be glad if someone can put a date to this.

My guess would be '63 or '64.

Something else dropped with a clang in my brain. I remember a sports event held I think at Worksop. My mum has in her cabinet a plastic Victor Ludorum so was Pat also in the school athletics team doing something?

All this is coming now because for over 40 years I couldn't bear to upset my mum so nothing was discussed.

Pat's sister.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Pat's sister,

Welcome and thank you for that programme. I remember the play being performed in the school hall and also many of the names. Regrettably, my problem nowadays is putting faces to them. I think your brother and friend may have been the year above us, as were quite a few of the cast, and I can't quite match faces to them, sorry. I think the year must either have been my last, or penultimate at ACHS - either 1963 or 62. I'm sure it was after the play at St Mary's church (1961). My promotion to Ticket Seller from Scene Shifter is mind blowing - eat your heart out Trev S !!!!!

So sorry to hear about your brother and his friend's passing. I left ACHS in July 1963 and by 1966 I had been in the Army a year and in Germany so never heard about it, so tragic when so young, the school seemed to have more than its share of tragedy.

Good to hear from you, hope we will see more.

Trev - did you get my PM?

Best wishes everyone

Gall

Peter Cropper has added the Programme from the November 1963 School Prizegiving at the Albert Hall, Nottingham to the FRU ACHS site. Well worth a look,, just wish I knew how to print it off!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

http://archive.histo...&io=True&page=1

The above link was a great find by DAVIDW and posted under another topic.

Of interest to ex-ACHS pupils from the early days is:-

One photograph on page 85, showing the Headmaster, Dr Higginson, talking to some pupils at the front entrance to the school. It looks like Mr Ring with his back to the camera and the shot is evidently staged....just look at the posture of the girl talking to the Head. Taken in November 1959, it is undersatable that the scool looks so clean, and

Three photographs on page 82, one showing the central quadrangle and looking across to the steps outside the Assembly Hall. Again taken back in November 1959, who can ever forget the steps where that many class or group photos were shot.

The other two photos show the school during construction back in 1958.

Just thought some would be interested.........................

• 6 months later...

I discovered this thread rather belatedly (story of my life) but it has been fascinating to read and the memories that the posts stimulated were almost overwhelming. ACHS was certainl unique as 'A School is Born' attests and I feel that I was fortunate to experience some innovative approaches to subject-teaching that introduced me to interests in art, music and literature that have remained with me throughout my life and I suspect that was true for many others.
It was wonderful to see posts from Adrian (and his comments about me that I'm sure I don't deserve). I recall almost all of the former pupils and members of staff mentioned and over the years, many of our paths have crossed. David Briers was certainly a talented graphic artist. He, Charlie Phipps and I were all at Nottingham Art college at one time. Charlie was accepted by the National Youth Theatre and I remember seeing him in acting a play ('The Apprentices'?) on BBC TV with Barry Rutter. The science teacher, BW Thompson, became a WEA organiser and I ran some courses for him in Carlton-in-Lindrick and we became friends. Brian is sadly, no longer with us but I am certain that many ex-pupils will recall his outbursts of foghorn laughter during school assembly, with great fondness. Mike Ring (Art) and David Wileman (Maths) both sent me messages on Friends Reunited some years back and I have tried to contribute to Barry Hughes' labelling of pupils on the school photograph on the FR site. I also bumped into Nick Alexander, Mick Flint, David Turrent, Sara Neville, Eric Kwiatkowski, Miss Lillie and Nancy Briggs.

Does anyone remember Lower School pupis having to change into 'indoor shoes' (sandals) when arriving in school? - or the mock Election that Bill Bugg won for the Liberal party? - or a Shadows-style school rock band playing in the gym during lunchtime?; or perhaps; the day after the Beatles had appeared at the Odeon (second on the bill to Roy Orbison!) when it seemed that everyone had been (except me)?; or the drama competition that Roosevelt House won with 'Hiss the Villain'? judged by Miss Padden (Elocution - now there's an innovation)

I'm grateful to all contributors for reinvigorating some pleasant memories.

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I only just discovered this thread (and Nottstalgia). I guess it may have run its course, but I did notice some earlier references to a Helen Luff who used to have a part-time job trying to keep order on the buses that brought youngsters to the new school from all across the county. That was actually my mother, and I'm pretty sure her name was Hazel :)

I didn't start at ACHS myself until 62-63, by which time she was no longer doing that job. I used to live near the top of Westdale Lane, and walked along the top and up and down Gedling Road each day. I finished there in 69, and lost touch with most of my old schoolfriends, as most of us scattered to universities across the country. I did go to a reunion at the school a few years ago. It was great to meet a number of old friends, some of whom I've been able to keep in touch with since. There were several retired members of staff from my era there too, and I was able to offer (very) belated apologies and thanks to them. John Dockerel (sp?) was there, looking not a lot different (i.e. very fit). Also Ken Buxton (maths) and Mr Moore (chemistry). I think he said that he was aware of being known as 'Psycho' for his practise of hurling a wooden blackboard rubber at miscreants at the back of the lab.

I could dredge up a lot more memories, and I'd be interested to hear from others in and around my year group, but I fear this thread may have run out of steam.

• Upvote 1

Welcome to Nottstalgia BrianL51. Threads never run their course on Nottstalgia, keep your memories coming.

I lived around the corner from ACHS but went to C-le-W, however a few friends did attend your school around that time.

Welcome to Nottstalgia, BrianL51.. hellothere

It was me and my memory that must have got your Mum's name wrong. It was Hazel Luff and I knew her for the 4 years that I rode the Roy's coach back and forth to Radcliffe.

A great lady, very fair but would take no nonsense. Remember the time that someone let a stinkbomb off downstairs when we were on the bypass going to RoT. She stopped the bus and her and the driver demanded to know who did it. Never did find out but she was one angry lady. Still, she let us smoke on the bus and that was great back then.

Seem to remember that your Mum told us about your Dad having a bad back at one stage and having to lay flat on his back for a time??

That was a fair walk that you did back and forwards to ACHS.....thought that you would have managed to cadge a lift on your Mum's bus... :P

I left ACHS at the end of 5th Form, around the time you started but, I would be very interested to read of your memories at the school and what happened to your Mum and also Roy's coaches. They had their depot on Mapperley Road IMMSMR....

• 2 months later...

Jim Briars taught French. At one stage early in his tenure at ACHS, he lived in a caravan in an orchard across the road from the school.

As for the teacher named Adler in Post #5 - was known as Larry Adler behind his back and taught German as well. He only had one eye and drove an old cream and black Daimler sedan. Pandit House was next to Aylward House from memory and shared the same kitchen?

I knew Jim briers well, but it wasn't him that lived in the caravan, it was his friend who taught German. I remember him as well. As for Mr Adler, he taught me German from 1965 although I have to say we didn't get on that well.

My brother was in Aylward House, he went there in 66. Gladys Aylward visited the school during his time there I seem to remember.

Jim Briars was a lovely man, we went to his wedding! He took a long time to find himself a bride ....... for those days anyway. He was at Arnold High for years. Wonder if he's still alive?

Still alive and living near to the school.

That's interesting Holly, it'd be nice to see Jim again. My Dad was still living near the school until his death 3 years ago, don't think he had seen him for many years though.