1 hour ago, Linda Watts said:

Can any of you guys remember Richard Perkins ,a county javelin thrower and my Notts AC team mate Sara Neville., whose dad was director at the Nottingham playhouse ?....they were both Arnold high in the 60s

I think Sara Neville and her brother were also at Forest Fields Grammar School for a while around that time

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello,   I've only just discovered this site and have enjoyed reading the comments which bring back great memories from 60 years ago. I started at ACHS at the beginning,September 1959,a

Hello,   I'm glad more people are discovering this site. Dennis M above,was that Janet Britten?I seem to remember her from my time at ACHS from the first day in September 1959 to when I

Was on a bus trip in Sicily yesterday. Recognised a Midland accent behind us. He was bought up in Underwood and went to Arnold County High School. He started Sept 61. The small world gets smaller.

Posted Images

# 199. I remember both Richard Perkins and Sara Neville, didn't realise she had no 'h' on her name.   I lived near Sara, it was Sandfield Road btw. 

I was also a member of Notts AC for a couple of years, as was another Nottstalgian. Hippogirl.  

Take a look at a thread titled 'School Athletics' ...,..,,, are you on the photo? 

Welcome to Nottstalgia by the way, always good to have another gel join the ranks! 

Yes, HG, that was actually your post !

There was a bit of confusion by the OP on how to use the Quote facility. By a complicated set of circumstances which I can't begin to explain, I tidied things up a bit, but I can't change the name in the quote attribution.

• 1 month later...

Hi,thanks for prompting memories,i went to Eastwood for a year before heading to Arnold,Mr hind was my for master on the top floor of the science block before going to Schweitzer and Mr Baines

Did anyone go on the organised holiday to Sexau in the Black Forest,1963 Ithink?

Good to see Wilf and Beasty (amongst others, of course) on here now.  Wilf, I remember you particularly from the Smoke Room at the rear of the dutch barn, and Beasty because of his sheer size!!  - apologies old friend!

I wondered if anyone remembered Dave Wells (Ryder-Cheshire house) and Dave Beardall (Schweitzer,  I think)?  Like myself, both were local Arnold lads around this period (59 -63) and both seemed to have disappeared off the radar many years ago.

I see also that TrevS hasn't posted for a while.  Is he ok does anyone know?  I PM'd him some time ago but he never replied, think he was living in Oz then.

I still live in Arnold, have done all my life apart from the Army years 65 - 78, and pass the old school site quite regularly.  there's a new build under way and the old buildings that we were taught in are steadily disappearing.  Probably no bad thing, I expect they were full of asbestos, but end of an era just the same.

Best wishes everyone.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Sharon Gee if you're there......please post reunion details if you go ahead with one.  I would have loved to attend the 2009 one but didn't know about it until today! Only 7 years too late!

I started ACHS in class 1J with the formidable Mr Dockrell in Sept 65 and finished 6th form (badly) in June 72.  I visited the site last summer when I heard the original 1959 buildings were going to be pulled down and I took a few photos  I've started up a Facebook page and put the photos on there.  I visited the school again last week and they were pulling down the old lower school block where I started in 1J and where I used to park my bike in the racks underneath that block.  I stood watching for about 5 minutes and felt quite sad that my old school was being torn down in front of me.

Names I remember from my year or just below or above are: Mick Smith, John Pilgrim, Chris McGowan, Denis Shepherd, Billy Pinder, Andrew Boultby, Matthew Harris, Ian Wood, Pete Squires, Pete Griffin, Pamela Jones (1st real girlfriend!), Lynn Withers, Jane Fitch, Christine Binch, Robert Severn, Richard Loffill, Ian Jones, Jane Richley, Janet Leafe, Sue Pickering, Linda Zamyck, Stephen Terry, Anita Cast.  

Many of the lads were from the very successful rugby team we had under the coaching of Mr Howarth, whilst most of the girls were those who went to the many parties we used to have at each others houses.  Never had any issue with gatecrashers (because no mobiles or facebook etc.) and even at about age 13/14 could easily get huge party cans of beer from the 'offie'.  No ID needed in those days!

• 4 weeks later...

I was in the 1st intake in 59 having spent a year at Bramcote

ican remember the boys in my class I think -

Dave Allen

Dabid Briers

Mick Buczko

Nigel Bushnell

Clifford Daniel

Tony Foster

John Hearson

Colin (?) Humphreys

John Spencer

? Tanner

Jim Tubb

Mick Welbourn

? Wilkinson

? Wright

i also remember Johnnie Day and Eric Howard as I went to primary school with them

Other names that come back are Carl Beeson, Trevor Stainforth, Wilf Herd David Besrdall and Dave Clark

I just thought of some of the teachers

Jim Briars who taught me French

Mr Fenwick English

Mr Cawthorne Physics

Mr Jones and Brian Thompson Biology

Mr Hinds Cemistry

Miss Carter History

Mr Tomlinson Metalwork

Mr Ring Art

I think Mrs Ring was in there somewhere as well

Mr Adler German

Mr Dockerill French (around 1961/2)

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately I have lost touch with all of them but I do know at least 2 are not with us

Eric Howard died in a motorcycle accident soon after we left school and Nigel Bushnell I read had also died quite a number of years ago

• 2 weeks later...

Re Fox R post:

Colin (?) Humphreys - yes it was Colin (or "Humph") - played cello 

? Tanner - John Tanner - still owe him 10 bob - how much is that worth now?

? Wilkinson - Colin - was at Bramcote with us

? Wright - David - as I remember

Was in touch with Trev Stainforth for a while a year or so again but he never replied to my email.  Lives in Melbourne

Jim Briers was my French teacher, great bloke but I was a hopeless case with languages!  Anyone remember Mr Salmon - taught English?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Gunner297 said:

Was in touch with Trev Stainforth for a while a year or so again but he never replied to my email.  

Was a long-standing member of this site, but hasn't posted for some time due to personal family circumstances.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone

I have just joined the forum which I found only yesterday. I was in the 2nd intake in 1960 when I think there was still only a 4th year. I was in Pandit House and have a photo on the famous steps in front of the Assembly Hall to celebrate Ms Pandit's visit in 1963. I would like to upload it but I can't see how to do this yet. I remember quite a few of the teacher's mentioned so far, especially Mr Dockerill as my best subjects were French and German. I also remember the music teacher, Mr Sergeant, who arranged for me to have cello lessons. Of all the pupils mentioned, the only one I remember by name is Eric Kwiatkowski who was one of the lads who used to arrive at school at 8 o'clock in the morning in the summer term (weather permitting!!!) to play tennis before assembly. My best friend was John Harrison who lived down Lambley Lane and who I briefly contacted a few years ago before he retired as Headmaster of the British Council School in Punta Arenas in the south of Chile, a stones throw from the Antarctic. I also remember the famous SMOG of 1963 (I think it was the first time that word was used) and for about 10 weeks the furthest we could see was from from one side of a rugby pitch to the other but never from one end to the other. 

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I was at Arnold High till my family left for Australia in 1966 when I was in 3rd form. I was in Aylward House. I played Cello in the Junior Orchestra. Mr Pedley was the Music teacher I think. Lovely bloke. Other memories are not so good. I struggled with the academic stuff and had a really awful time scholastically. However I knew some good people - lost touch with almost all since leaving the country. I am still in touch with my friend Beverley who used to live in Mapperley - she played Cello also. Our Cello teacher was an Irish woman who taught us to play The Dam Busters March. "They called them 'the dam busters' because they bust the dam........" was our favourite quote from her.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2