Yes, that was me

I worked for Ken Kidger in Work Study along with Bill Perry and then in the fledgling computer dept and returned to work study in1972

You are right about the date of ACHS . In 1958 was at Bramcote Hills for a year

Benjamin1945

before you went to Peterborough did you play for Oriel FC?

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello,   I've only just discovered this site and have enjoyed reading the comments which bring back great memories from 60 years ago. I started at ACHS at the beginning,September 1959,a

Hello,   I'm glad more people are discovering this site. Dennis M above,was that Janet Britten?I seem to remember her from my time at ACHS from the first day in September 1959 to when I

Was on a bus trip in Sicily yesterday. Recognised a Midland accent behind us. He was bought up in Underwood and went to Arnold County High School. He started Sept 61. The small world gets smaller.

Posted Images

Certainly did Ron, can you remember 5 a sides at carlton forum? Before i went to Peterborough was rep with brian Brindley, keith scotney,horace butler,bert fletcher, john coote, and pete ward was sales manager then roy lander,, also remember ken kidger,

Fox, we have a member on here, Trevor S I think, hasn't posted in a while, but must have been in your year, as he had to go to B.H.G.S for a year till Arnold High was ready. He lived in Radcliffe on Trent so quite a journey.

5 a side at Carlton Forum was great as I remember - we sometimes got up to 15 turned up on occasions 

When you went to Peterborough I think John Taylor was manager and we played snooker in the Conservative Club at lunchtimes

I remember most of those names of the people you worked with although I can’t picture them all 

I guess Roy Lander was eventually Nottingham depot manager 

John taylor had moved tp peterborough as general manager and was instrumental in getting me to move down there, sadly attended his funeral about 7 years ago in Peterborough, i don't use my surname on here,but you'll remember me as Paul,

And yes many happy lunch times playing snooker at the conservative club down there,

On 5/19/2017 at 7:52 AM, Penny Davies said:

I was at Arnold High till my family left for Australia in 1966 when I was in 3rd form. I was in Aylward House. I played Cello in the Junior Orchestra. Mr Pedley was the Music teacher I think. Lovely bloke. Other memories are not so good. I struggled with the academic stuff and had a really awful time scholastically. However I knew some good people - lost touch with almost all since leaving the country. I am still in touch with my friend Beverley who used to live in Mapperley - she played Cello also. Our Cello teacher was an Irish woman who taught us to play The Dam Busters March. "They called them 'the dam busters' because they bust the dam........" was our favourite quote from her.

Hi, Adrian Adams here (Adi) . Mr Sergeant was music teacher then - early on. My family ( at least my dad and I ) went to Oz (Toowoomba) in July 66. Parents broke up. I was in ACHS from 62 I think to 66 . There was a Penny but she had 'boyfriend ' Michael Butt , who was new to the school. Michael Samuelson (Sam) doted on Penny. I met up with Glenys Edmunds years later and we had a relationship - me going back and her coming here. Gillian Bales was also in Aylward I think. My mates were Rob Redmile, Jeff Sellars, Mick Flint, Andris Vasolevskis, Johny Joyce, Paul Livock ( a grade above me) now a respected pyschologist for many years,  ( Mick is still a friend but in Ireland) - I was in Schweitzer and mostly in detention for long hair and wrong uniform. Especially after that bastard Spelman replaced Dr Higginson. I had a good time but did NO work. I became an artist and musician (guitar)  in Oz then a psychologist as well. Still an artist and musician. I'm on Facebook , also Linked In. 

David Goodall? Yes, I believe so.  Didn't you live on Rolleston Drive/junction of Eaton Drive and have a great interest in chemistry?  You may remember me as "Gall".  I lived on Surgey's Lane.

Great to see this thread reactivated!

Yes, I have the right FoxR!  When I left school (1962), after a summer flogging ice cream for Fortes in Bournemouth, Dad packed me off to the Labour Exchange in Daybrook and told me to not come home until I had a job! (I'd already passed the City Police Entrance exam and medical, but the cadets was full).  It was pouring with rain but I was sent up to A B Gibsons and interviewed for the job of grocer's shop assistant (Granville) at Purdy's old fashioned grocery on Berridge Road, owned by ABG.  So much for a grammar school education... That 1 GCE in Art made it all worthwhile. 

I was told I'd just missed a job in the printing and advertising dept at ABG and they promised to get in touch if another vacancy arose, which thankfully, they did a few month's later. 

The print room then was next door to the Work Study dept and I remember Bill Perry well, Ken Kidger less so.  There was  a lot of good natured banter between the two departments and our manager was Bill Mason.  We eventually moved down in the basement under the Cash & Carry when they expanded into silk screen printing, which I eventually took over.  I left after a couple of years as even as a supervisor, much as I enjoyed the job,  I wasn't learning much.  I went on to the Nottingham City Engineers Dept at the Guildhall,  as 'Photographic Assistant and Printer', but boy, was a that a miserable grey experience, after ABG!  I even took a drop in pay but stuck it out for a year.

I remember several of the sales dept at ABG and was always grateful when one of the reps gave me a lift in when my bike or motorbike was out of action.  I really needed the lift home as it was a steep, hot walk up to Mapperley top at the end of the day, after walking in and being on your feet all day especially when screen printing, as that was very physical.

Remember well several of the office girls at ABG too - and years later, dated the most attractive one of all, known then as 'Diddy'...

ACHS did get me into badminton (hated rugby so we asked if we could play badminton instead and dear old Mr Flint agreed) and played competitively up until about six years ago, when a spinal issue put paid to it and my wife also gave up. 

• Like 1

By the way, I have the panoramic photographs of both Eastwood and Bramcote pupils and teachers, before ACHS, if anyone is interested. I suppose I should scan them in sections and publish.

Hi Gall. Yes, I remember you. Didn't you leave your bike at our bungalow (Rolleston Drive/Eaton Avenue) and go to school from there? Sorry to read in an earlier post about smoking damaging your health; I remember you smoking on the way to school. I was good/brilliant at chemistry, but lost interest after my last "incident". I was also in Aylward House. 

Bramcote Hills Grammar School - June 1958.  Sorry about the quality, but hopefully, those who were there in year 1 will recognise some of the original originals of ACHS.   Five photographs with overlaps.   I can name quite a few for ACHS -  Susan Bish; Catherine Duncan; Lesley Humphreys; Valerie Simons;  Catherine Ward?; ? Matthews; Marion O'Dwyer; Vivienne Foy; Jennifer Norman; Carole Ransome; Elizabeth Evans (who sadly, was killed during the 1959 summer break); Janina Gertner; Joan Wakefield; Pat Widdowson .

Lindsay Wright; Steven Sedgewick; Graham Norbury;   

158_0601_01 BHGS.JPG

Section 2 of 5

Teachers include Mr Fenwick (ACHS) ; Mr Cox - Art (BHGS)

Includes: Linda Smith; Judith Severn

Includes: Mick Whalen; Michael Ward; Malcolm Aylott; Terence Porter; Roger Foxhall

158_0601_02 BHGS.JPG

• Like 1

Looking forward to the next three sections, I was at BHGS in 1958 and will be intrigued to see if I can find myself and friends, will we be recognisable one wonders, after all it's only 60 years ago!

Teachers: Miss Parsons - Deputy Head; Mr Lyons - Head; Mr Saggers (Eng Lit  - BHGS); everyone's favourite, a young Jim Briers (French - ACHS); Mr Pilgrim - BHGS Music) 

ACHS - Ray Green;  Frank Rich

158_0601_03 BHGS.JPG

By the way Commo, as I upload this, Holmfirth is on the TV - yup, LOTSW...  Still a favourite

Sometimes, inserting an image is easy and sometimes it takes about three goes.

ACHS: Geoff Beckett; Vaughan Simons; Stu Stone (I think)

158_0601_04 BHGS.JPG

ACHS: John Quinney; Richard Warsop; Peter 'Charlie' Wragg; Pete Wade; Bob Astley; David Thompson; Stuart Brandreth; Charnell White

158_0601_05 BHGS.JPG

Hi Socram

Basil Saggers the teacher moved from Mellish to Bramcote. He taught us music. He was known as “Basil the bastard from Borrowash”. He obviously wanted a shorter commute! Stuart Brandreth, your fellow pupil, is alive and well and lives in my village. He used to be the M.D. of the Nottingham Building Society.

Just realised why I can't find myself or friends as the photos are from June and we didn't start until the the next intake in September. Recognised all the guards and warders though!

On 11/03/2018 at 8:13 AM, David Goodall said:

Hi Gall. Yes, I remember you. Didn't you leave your bike at our bungalow (Rolleston Drive/Eaton Avenue) and go to school from there? Sorry to read in an earlier post about smoking damaging your health; I remember you smoking on the way to school. I was good/brilliant at chemistry, but lost interest after my last "incident". I was also in Aylward House. 

Yes,, that's me!  Got into bad habits at an early age, finally gave up the cigs about 30 years age but the damage had been done.  10 years down Calverton Pit after I left the Army didn't help either.  I remember some of your chemistry escapades, including you coming to school one day with what looked like a five-o'clock shadow aroung your mouth after you investigated the power of a vacuum?  Great days.  Best wishes.  Gall

Hi. I left Arnold High in 1968. I remember Miss Thistlethwaite who could never control the class. Used to feel quite sorry for her.  Mr Pothecary, Miss Knight who was always well wrapped up with her scarf and gloves whilst we froze to death on the top field playing hockey. Mr Spelman who made my blood run cold! Think he was head teacher and also taught maths.  I was frightened to death of him. I was in Ryder Cheshire and remember Ian Paling, Rena Coleman, Peter Gretton or Griffin, Elaine Wardle,. Mary Treadgold . I did find the work a bit of a struggle but the standard of education was absolutely brilliant. Feel quite lucky to have had the chance to go there.