• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello,   I've only just discovered this site and have enjoyed reading the comments which bring back great memories from 60 years ago. I started at ACHS at the beginning,September 1959,a

Hello,   I'm glad more people are discovering this site. Dennis M above,was that Janet Britten?I seem to remember her from my time at ACHS from the first day in September 1959 to when I

Was on a bus trip in Sicily yesterday. Recognised a Midland accent behind us. He was bought up in Underwood and went to Arnold County High School. He started Sept 61. The small world gets smaller.

Posted Images

On 3/15/2022 at 9:04 AM, DaveM said:

Yes I did, after 2 years ar BHGS. 

Hi Dave. Trevor Stainforth thinks he remembers you and asks if you rode your bike to school every day? Sometimes behind the school bus!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Was on a bus trip in Sicily yesterday. Recognised a Midland accent behind us. He was bought up in Underwood and went to Arnold County High School. He started Sept 61. The small world gets smaller.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...
On 3/14/2018 at 11:43 AM, Socram said:

Does anyone have a decent copy of the 1960 ACHS house photographs, taken on the steps of the quad?

I already have Schweitzer, Roosevelt and Aylward, but need the other three, if anyone can help.  These MAY be used in a book I started writing years ago - and keep trying to update.

Pandit or Pundit, Aylward, Roosevelt, Cheshire (Ryder-Cheshire) and I'm told Makarenko but I don't remember that name. Shweizer, my house, was first after you came down from the office, library etc. 

On 4/17/2018 at 7:09 PM, Graham Edward said:

Gunner .

Would your Beethoven loving friend be Michael Welbourne who lived in Radcliffe - on - Trent.

He was a good friend of mine and the description matches .

Also a teacher who seems to have been missed here was a Miss Coulson ----- very young and attractive who caused lustful thoughts in many lads !!

Graham

She was a great English teacher !

I was in Cheshire. 62 to 67 and also remember Miss Coulson.

I hadn't realised till years after leaving that the Houses were in alphabetical order clockwise looking from the steps, either that or I'd forgotten.

I don't remember Makarenko, but after Googling it would make some sense.

Gladys AYLWARD

Sue RYDER and Leonard CHESHIRE

PANDIT Nehru

(         )? ROOSEVELT

(Anton)? MAKARENKO

Albert SCHWEITZER

Anton Semenovich Makarenko, a Ukrainian and Soviet educator, social worker and writer, became the most influential educational theorist in the Soviet Union.

• 1 month later...

Never realised it was alphabetical, but the first three housed ex Eastwood pupils and the ex Bramcote the other half.

Roosevelt was Eleanor.

if you read Dr Higginson's book, (A School Is Born) he was adamant that the houses were named after living people (at the time) and not meaningless colours and international, rather than just British.

Doc Higginson, the first head (or 'Harry of England' as he signed himself later) was more than just a Head Teacher.  He was best classed as an educator.

Pupils were encouraged to form overseas pen friendships based on their 'house'. Sadly, writing wasn't my thing (my handwriting was bad anyway) and I had a short lived communication with an American girl in Maine.   

• 1 year later...

A bit quiet on this thread which is a shame. Maybe we need to circulate/promote it to any ex-ACHS pupils we know of? 

We call into Adelaide (again) later this year but as we'll probably be with NZ and Australian friends for the day, I doubt we'll hear a Nottingham accent!