Guest Phoenix

Oh wow, I'd forgotten that Daimler! It was cool, had running boards if I remember correctly and looked antwacky and off a film set even then.

Mrs Lynch looked like an old Colonial; in addition to smoking in class, I thought she also needed a G and T to sip. I incurred her wrath very early unfortunately. In the first lesson, first year, we had to go to the front of the class and give an introduction. I went out there, started to speak and the class was sniggering. I stopped. Eventually, Mrs Lynch asked what they found amusing. Some brave soul eventually volunteered the fact that I 'talked funny' . I was mortified! I'd moved to the Midlands from the NW a few weeks earlier and felt a real outsider. I'd neverheard ice lollies called 'suckers' or heard 'me duck' and 'ayup'. I don't think I was aware then of differences in regional accent. It felt like being dropped into an alien world to an 11 year old and the fact that an entire class now found it funny made me feel like more of an outsider. I returned to my seat and refused to return to complete my introduction. Mrs Lynch was clearly cross; I refused her demand to return and continue, but I don't think she understood the humiliation I felt. English was my favourite subject, but for a while I truly dreaded her classes!

Mr Glover, I think was tall, slim, short dark hair. I liked his lessons. I remember discussions about comparative religion so they were an informed and valuable introduction to alternative views. Something I haven't forgotten.

What about school dinners? I'd never had a school meal before and was horrified at what was served. It just seemed so bland, over cooked and tasteless. I found a chippie if you turned right at the entrance to ACHS, walked on a bit then right again. So my dinner money was ( without parental consent) withheld and I used the 2/6 a week to get a portion of chips most days plus a bar of chocolate.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello,   I've only just discovered this site and have enjoyed reading the comments which bring back great memories from 60 years ago. I started at ACHS at the beginning,September 1959,a

Hello,   I'm glad more people are discovering this site. Dennis M above,was that Janet Britten?I seem to remember her from my time at ACHS from the first day in September 1959 to when I

Was on a bus trip in Sicily yesterday. Recognised a Midland accent behind us. He was bought up in Underwood and went to Arnold County High School. He started Sept 61. The small world gets smaller.

Posted Images

Poor Ms Lynch.......extremely wrinkled, skinny, a smoker and always seemed to dress in dark clothes but nevertheless gave an impression of a lady.

Glover was also into drama classes and arranging the school plays on the old ACHS stage and the best one out; the end of year play at the St Marys Church in Arnold. At the Church play, myself and a couple of mates had wangled jobs as scenery hands and during the play, explored the church. Found our way to the top of the steeple and out on the roof where we sat smoking like chimneys.

School dinners? Whilst I could not stomach even the idea of eating the school dinners at the ROT Infants School (delivered in steel pressure cookers and dolloped out onto plates like pig swill), I found the ACHS dinners OK. You were in Roosevelt House? and would have shared the same kitchen as us in Aylward. Everything was fresh and the only problem I found was if the meat was too fatty. The sweets were great and as our table (by means of force) was next to the servery hatch, we always got there first when seconds were announced!

You were being ripped off if you had to pay for the dinners. I cannot remember anyone from our time paying for the meals. Your fish and chip shop would have been down Rolleston Drive by the sound of it and I think LizzieM might know that one.

Trevor, I do indeed remember the fish n chip shop on Rolleston Drive. I would call in and get a portion of chips regularly when I'd been down town to the Dungeon, Beachcomber or Boat Clubs in the mid 60's. I'd catch the 69 bus from outside Lyons Caff on Long Row at about 10.30pm and get off on Rollo at 10.50 just before the chip shop closed. Get my bag of chips, laden with lots of salt and vinegar and walk up home eating them. Lovely!! In fact until my Dad passed away last year I drove up there every Friday tea-time and got Cod, Chips and Mushy Peas for him. That row of shops consisted of a Bookies, Hardware Shop, Greengrocers, Newsagents, Grocers, Haberdashery, Hairdressers, Off-licence and Launderette. Outside the launderette was a phone box which I regularly used as we didn't have a phone at home. The old A and B boxes, where you could talk for hours for tuppence and upset everybody who was standing waiting outside!! I had a Saturday job at the Hardware store while at school and Digby College, earning £1 for the whole day! Nowadays most of the shops are takeaways, thanks to Asda and Sainsburys. I'm surprised Phoenix was allowed out of school at lunchtime, we certainly weren't at Carlton-le-Willows.

• Upvote 2

That row of shops consisted of a Bookies, Hardware Shop, Greengrocers, Newsagents, Grocers, Haberdashery, Hairdressers, Off-licence and Launderette. Outside the launderette was a phone box which I regularly used as we didn't have a phone at home.

Not changed that much, except that it now reflects modern Britain.

Pakistani-owned convenience store, Greek chippy, Indian takeaway, Italian Pizzeria, Chinese takeaway, and an English Sandwich shop.

Oh, and there is still a hairdressers.

And the phone box is now one of those vandal-proof ones.

• Upvote 1
Guest Phoenix

@ LizzieM, I remember that phone box. We used to stand in it eating our chips if it was raining and once we got a bonus when someone forgot to press button B to reclaim their money. I think 4d arrived in the little well. I know it was enough for some sweets from the newsagent which I think was right next to the chippie.

We were allowed out at lunchtime. I often used to walk down the hill into Arnold and mosey round the shops. I can't think why because I don't think they were all that interesting. I was permanently gated for bringing the school into disrepute in 1964. I was caught smoking. Worse than that, in the street, in uniform. Big trouble! I was close to being suspended which, rather than a badge of honour, was the ultimate disgrace.

Slightly off topic, was the Dungeon near Woolies? I longed to go but was never allowed. When I had my Saturday job in Woolies, one of the floor walkers asked me out and promised an evening at the Dungeon. I was so excited...but didn't go. Mum and dad deemed it 'unsuitable' and I gave up. Transport to Radcliffe after mid evening wasn't good in those days and I knew I'd have the embarrassment of having to leave at the point it was all warming up!

Slightly off topic, was the Dungeon near Woolies? I longed to go but was never allowed. When I had my Saturday job in Woolies, one of the floor walkers asked me out and promised an evening at the Dungeon. I was so excited...but didn't go. Mum and dad deemed it 'unsuitable' and I gave up.

It seems that half the population of Nottstalgia used to go there http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4911&hl=dungeon#entry116702

Phoenix

That was my 4d you pinched!

The newsagent shop was half way along the row, by the bus stop and with a fag machine on the pavement outside.

Even though I lived in Arnold for 17 years I didn't know the place very well, having only gone to school there between 8 and 11. The swimming baths was really the only place I was familiar with, oh and a little bakers just along Front Street where I would buy a warm cob after swimming.

Because the bus service into town was so good that was where I spent a lot of time, homework permitting. Yes the Dungeon was behind Woolworths, on Stanford Street. You certainly missed out on the best club in the East Midlands by not being allowed to go, but I think you're younger than me so during the club's best years you were probably too young to get in anyway.

any body remember pat and gerry moris both taught there for quite a while carnt remember what pat taught but gerry taught music they ver theresame time as vernon coker was.

Guest Phoenix

Lol, LizzieM! Never mind, your 4d was well spent!

The swimming baths, another memory resurrected. We had PE lessons there once a week around 1962. I loved that, but couldn't go for weeks. My TB jab went horribly wrong. We had to stand in a line and I remember a huge, and I mean huge needle. The lad behind me fainted. Someone else was sick all over the hall floor. When my turn arrived, the dr lunged at my upper arm, it hurt, I said ouch he said don't be a baby as he lunged again! Needle didn't break the skin, so he had a third go and I swear it hit the bone. The pain was awful, but the skin was still unbroken at which point he announced I had skin like a rhinoceros and asked the nurse for a new needle because 'this one's blunt'. Just imagine...using the same needle for everyone. I had the jab, but it became badly infected and I had to have treatment for weeks before it healed. Couldn't go swimming and I've been needle phobic ever since! Still have a huge dint and scar on my upper arm!

I'd be 15 to 16 when I worked in Woolies. Probably was too young for the Dungeon, but I really wanted to be there!

• Upvote 1

Your mention of TB jabs brought back memories of when I had mine ....... I was swimming at Arnold Baths virtually every day at that time and the scabs came off in the water every day!! Bit gross when I think about it now, lol. What with a scabby arm and having to wear some of those white rubbery shoes because I had about 7 verrucas, plus a lovely blue swimming cap with fuchsia pink flowers on it, I don't think it was a great look!!

It seems I'm only a year older than you so you would have got in the Dungeon OK. I was going out with a lad at one point who like me was 16 and we took his 13 year old brother there with us one night. He did look older than 13 though.

I'm going to send you a PM as I think you will probably know a good friend of mine who would have been in your year at ACHS. I don't really like to mention folks names on threads, in case they google themselves and find they've been talked about!

I must be one of the minority who never went there - too young.

Although I did go, occasionally, to Shades, the club which took it over. Although it was by then a gay club, they didn't have a problem with me taking my girlfriend there. For the very low admission price (50p I think it was), we got a meal, drinking until 2 or 3, and a bloody good disco.

• 5 months later...

Hi All, Came about this site by accident trying to find a school student photo, the ones we lined up for in front of the hall, in the quadrangle. My name is Adrian Adams but all knew me as 'AdI'. I was there from 62/63 to 65/66 when I had to leave to go to Oz.

I was on Roy's bus, the last stop at West Bridgford , 6 of us waited there. I lived in Edwalton , probably the furthest south, had to walk across fields and a playing field to get to the stop. Will post again later. Ralph Smith was on that bus. Always sat at the back so must have got on first. Bus never made it up Porchester Rd in snow. Always apolgizing to Mr Dockerill for being late - but he eventually just said "Roys?' and i would say 'Yes, Sir" and sit down.

Will post more later - remember so many people and things.

My email is asadams@aapt.net.au

Welcome Adrian....Great to hear from another ex-ACHS. hellothere

You started after I had left but a couple of quick questions....more to follow later.

Did the Roys bus that you caught start out and finish from Radcliffe On Trent and if so, was a woman by the name of Helen Luff still supervising the passengers?

It would appear that the bus route had changed as well because we used to go straight up Arkwright Street, through the City and then across to Mapperly Plains Road. Of an evening, just the opposite but down London Road instead. Never went along Porchester TTBOMK.

• Upvote 1

I can't remember the trip back for some reason except we'd go the bus at the mound out the front, with the other buses. I was probably in long detention and had to get city bus back.But it came as far as Valley Rd in W. Bridgford, went up to Melton Road, over the river and up London Road , did go up Porchester Rd I think, then, past a tinsel factory I always remember, thinking what an industry.? There was only the driver, no woman keeping us in check. That all ended a couple of years later and we were all given a pink bus pass. I had to catch the 21 to South Parade, go across to Long Row and catch the Arnold bus. Took 40 minutes to get to school. 7 miles I think. I remember the bus passing some hotel or place called the Punch Bowl.

The route must have changed - as the tinsel factory was on the right hand side going up Porchester Road - probably where bus usually broke down. Went up London Road, up Carlton Road into Porchester and then Woodborough which became Mapperley Plains Road. I remember going past the Boots factory. And later on that was close to the Bowling Alley which they finally let us do for Sports day one year. Was great. The bus was OLD, musty smell. First words anyone said to me on first day getting on bus was the driver " a bread and dripping boy eh?" - I was skinny . I found a rough photocopy of the September 1963 School photo. I'm there, the first boy directly above the A in Arnold and I see Jim Briers and Jones, hard to make out others.

Mr Dockerill is there in the photo looking handome with his shock of silver hair. Very striking - (never hit me though) He was my form teacher in 2H . Always wore the cape as did Jim Briers and Lilley. He was a stern man but I liked him. He had good ethics. Some didn't.

Yes, by the sound of it, your bus route was another one of Roys and by the sound of it, you had a single decker coach. The ROT route was a double decker and was full with kids standing on the lower deck.

Teachers were still the same though...

What House were you in?

Yes it was a REEALLY OLD single decker - I was in Schweitzer . Kids with me , in my year were Rob Redmile, Mick Flint, Jeff Sellars (aylward) , Robert SAmuels (Sam), Johny Joyce, Andris (Andy Vasilivskis) . Next door in Roosevelt was Michael Butt ( he came from down South late in my last year, ) not many outsiders came in. Both Paul Livock ( a great friend and still local but a fine psychologist) & Charlie Phipps were in the year above.

Will write more when I get a chance - Adi

PS What year did you come and go Trevor?

• Upvote 1