I watched this film on Sky last night and really enjoyed it. Rami Malek's Oscar winning portrayal of Freddie Mercury is superb. 

Love or hate Freddie Mercury you have to accept he was one hell of a performer.

Queen have always been one of my favourite bands since I saw them perform Killer Queen on Top of the Pops in 1974. I loved their multilayered vocals and Brian May's guitar work. I couldn't work out what guitar Brian was playing when I watched them that night. I later learned it was a homemade instrument that he and his dad had constructed in 1963. 

My favourite Brian May guitar lick is in “We will rock you” It's not especially complicated but sounds fantastic especially if you play it on a Red Special amplified through a stack of 10 Vox AC30s

I also recently discovered that Brian uses an old sixpence as a plectrum which also adds to the sounds he produces.

Playing through an amplifier stack goes back to the mid 60s when IIRC Chris Britton of The Troggs used a stack of AC 30s in their live act. 

Another biopic I've yet to watch is Love & Mercy which is the story of The Beach Boys Brian Wilson. Now there is a musical genius.

Saw it at the Bonington cinema when it was on there, and ordered the DVD soon after.

The DVD includes some songs from the Live Aid performance which were cut from the film. Best played when you can turn the volume up to 11. 

• Like 1

Mess.. didn't Brian and his dad make the guitar out of their old fireplace? Or is that somebody else.

Not being a big Queen fan I'll probably enjoy this..most music biopics I find very flawed.

• Upvote 1

Went to Barcelona for our 50th wedding anniversary from the hotel we walked to see the fountains, Friday night was Queens night (Feddie Mercury) When the music/song's of Queen started the fountains changed colour/ shapes/ect all this and Freddie singing it was just awesome. If i recall this work of art was done for the World Cup.

Happy belated anniversary Mary. Yes the fountain in Barcelona is beautiful. Saw it many years ago when my children were small We were camping in the Toro Bravo camp site.

8 hours ago, HSR said:

Mess.. didn't Brian and his dad make the guitar out of their old fireplace? Or is that somebody else.

Not being a big Queen fan I'll probably enjoy this..most music biopics I find very flawed.

That's right. According to Wikipedia the neck was made from the mantelpiece  of a Victorian fireplace leading Brian to refer to it as The Fireplace. The three pickups were Burns trisonic wired with peculiar phasing.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Brilliant Den. When we watched it, I thought "what a load of rubbish". I couldn't help noticing that the actor seemed to spend the whole of the film trying to keep his teeth in place, as if it was a battle of gravity. Has no'one head of Dentofix? Freddie Mercury never looked like he was wrestling with a large pickled onion.