I worked there for a very short time in around 1963. I can't remember much about it only working on the belts packing soap into boxes. Very repetitious, perhaps the pay was good, there must have been some reason for being there. The girls were known for the soap smell being overpowering on the bus at the end of the day.  Sorry I can't remember much about it, but I at least can remember being there. One of my many jobs in the 60s.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks carnie and Cliff Ton.During my time there Roberts Windsor was owned by the Vestey family who also owned Dewhurst the butchers among many other companies Whist there we.  were visited by Oliver Philpot one of the Wooden Horse escapees during World War 2 ,who worked for the Vestey`s and on another occasion Cathy McGowan whose own name  soap Windsors were making. Those of us of a certain age will remember Cathy as a presenter of Ready Steady Go and at the time, a fashion icon. As can be seen from Cliff Ton`s posting Windsors were credited with making Derbac Soap but also made Derbac Liquid, both of which were full of DDT, a chemical whose use was banned in this country in 1984. It`s worthwhile reflecting that, despite the toxicity of DDT, Derbac Liquid was used for many years on childrens hair for the elimination of nits. Remember the metal comb given away with every bottle? Roberts Windsor was a  watershed company for me,it was where I met my wife, it was my introduction to the Soap Making Industry and it was the final company I worked for in Nottinghamshire.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

I was a very young kid then and soap factory girls scared the hell out of me at "2nd  lane" bus stop by St John the Baptist church in Colwick........they were certainly lively and noisy after work at weekends ........and yes the scent [ smell] its all coming back.

Anybody know why that bus stop was called "second lane" ?

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Old Brown Windsor as it was more properly known and White Windsor were products made by the original Roberts of Windsor company for decades. The soaps were still being produced by Windsors when I worked for them, the brown variety offered in either a round disc or a rectangle and both packed in threes into a very ornate box with a laced paper lining.