My claim to fame with Nottingham castle was that I had two paintings hanging in there as part of an exhibition of art from Coal board employees. Sometime in the eighties. Beekay.

• Like 5
  • Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let's see if I've got this right ! Getting it all wrong.

This is only a trial mind. Hoping I've learned to post pics. Will try not to bore ya'all. B.

Miniature stools Gem. All in need of some touching up where chipped. Had em ages, butterflies too.

19 minutes ago, MargieH said:

@Beekay  please post a picture of your artwork... I'd be really nterested.

Margie and AG, I still have one of the paintings, I did it in 1974. It is a watercolour and would you believe takes pride of place in our bathroom. So, when I'm sat on the throne I can look at it and be reminded of years past. Incidentally, I would love to post a view but I've no idea how to do it, because tried it before and it just tells me it's too big as there is a limit. B.

BK,  you need to register on a photo-hosting site (a sort of 'middle man) upload your photo on to there, so that it can then be posted on the forum.  Sounds a bit complicated but it isn't really.

I use 'postimage' but there are other hosting sites which some people use.

To save me posting detailed instructions, perhaps CliffTon or someone else could post a link to where various options have been explained on the forum previously?

Margie, I have never sent my photos to anywhere like Facebook, cloud, twitter, woolworths, Tesco or anywhere else. They have gone on my PC, tablet, DVDs or flash sticks. Wouldn't even know where to begin. I'm afraid I just understand the concept of uploading to photo-hosting sites. B.

20 hours ago, Beekay said:

Margie and AG, I still have one of the paintings, I did it in 1974. It is a watercolour and would you believe takes pride of place in our bathroom. So, when I'm sat on the throne I can look at it and be reminded of years past. Incidentally, I would love to post a view but I've no idea how to do it, because tried it before and it just tells me it's too big as there is a limit. B.

Thanks to the wonders of modern technology, I can now reveal Beekay's painting to the world.

jDpdDf0.jpg

• Like 20
  • Upvote 1

Many many thanks Cliff Ton. Alas I had to photograph it through glass so picked up reflections. Still got a 'commended' sticker on the back. Can't believe I painted it 45 years ago !! Must sort out some others now. Beekay.thumbsup

What a brilliant watercolour, BK.  IT's a very moody painting but I like it......

Looking forward to seeimg some more, please

• Like 2
3 hours ago, MargieH said:

What a brilliant watercolour, BK.  IT's a very moody painting but I like it......

Thank you Margie, I promise to sort out some other work for you. Another one of my hobbies is narrow boat art, (roses & castles). Only just started to pick up my brushes after a break of about twenty years. I'm on the lookout for a milk churn to paint. Will keep posting, if CliffTon doesn't mind helping me out. Cheers B.

• Like 3

Like to see narrow boat art BK, wouldn't mind doing one of my steel watering cans in it

Rog

2 hours ago, plantfit said:

Like to see narrow boat art BK, wouldn't mind doing one of my steel watering cans in it

Rog

Hiya Rog, have emailed some pix for posting. My sister in law up in Stapleford has got me a watering can to paint, next time im up. B.

5 hours ago, MargieH said:

Thank you Margie, I promise to sort out some other work for you. Another one of my hobbies is narrow boat art, (roses & castles). Only just started to pick up my brushes after a break of about twenty years. I'm on the lookout for a milk churn to paint. Will keep posting, if CliffTon doesn't mind helping me out. Cheers B.

• Like 1

Pity we don't live close to each other Beekay. I have three antique scratters (apple crushers for cider) that would benefit hugely with some narrow boat/gypsy caravan style art and colour detail. Weighing between 200 and 500kg makes them difficult to post :)

• Like 1

A million thanks CT. I painted these about September last year. The cruet set and pepper mill I bought ages ago but couldn't get the enthusiasm to pick up my brushes. My sister in law had bought the jug last year as a project for me, to pull me out of the Doldrums and encouraged me to grab my paints. The flat iron I was given by a neighbour and it was just a pile of rust. Over the years I have painted chairs, irons, cast iron shoe lasts, ( don't know the proper name)., plant pots, plates, jugs, coffee pot. Even did a mop bucket then painted the mop, I even dyed the mop head to match ! Tina and I used to canal cruise for many years and she kindly bought me a book on narrow boat art, called 'Roses and Castles ', and this inspired my interest. One off the schools I used to work in, the kids used to say, " don't stand still or Mr.King will paint flowers on your shoes !" My sister in law has just emailed to say she has a watering can waiting. I'm also on the lookout for a milk churn for her and husband.  Barrie.

• Like 9

Thank you for your kind words Plantfit and NonnaB. Nonna, if you can hold a brush you can paint. Remember, that whatever you paint is your interpretation as you see it. Get yourself a little water colour set, it won't cost you much and paint what you see. It doesn't matter what it looks like, it's your work. Good luck.x

• Like 2

Well I got an ‘O’ level in art many years ago but I haven’t picked up a small paint brush since then. I did find a painting by numbers set yesterday which must have been an unwanted present so having seen your efforts I’m tempted to have a go with it. It does look a bit fiddly though!:biggrin:

Phil, painting by numbers look exactly what they are. Do yourself a favour, ditch the picture but keep the paints and brushes. Whatever you paint will be your interpretation, just take a look at L S Lowery. He put down what he saw. Be bold and give it a try. Barrie.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, plantfit said:

Very nice BK,you have a lot of talent there

Rog

Rog, I was once told that it's a gift. It's what you do with that gift that takes talent. B.

• Like 5

The thing is with canal art is, it's designed to be seen from a distance, like a canal bank etc and looks totally different close up. One thing I learned was that everything you ever learned about painting you threw out the window and start anew with a different method. For example, on the jug picture that was posted for me has about eight layers of paint plus three coats of varnish. I use enamel paint by choice and yet to try acrylics. Trouble is if painting outside in the summer sun, it's like painting with Bl***y treacle. That's when I do a bit of water colours. B.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The advantage with acrylics BK is the range of additives available. You can slow the drying time, thin it to water paint consistency, work it like oil paint and even add texture. For some paint styles you only need a palette knife. Give them a go I think you'll like the result.

Quite impressed with the teapot, jug and especially the flat iron art work Beekay :cool: I have a collection of hobbing irons and a couple of flat irons, also a couple of oak barrels, jugs and watering cans.. Hmmmm... Mrs PP used to do quite a bit of art painting and she was quite talented. I'll show her your work and hope that she gets inspired.