Thank you for your kind words PP., I enjoy this type work and I would urge your missus to pick up her paint brushes and have a go. It doesn't matter how it turns out it's her work and she should enjoy it. Don't forget though it'll be your job to clean the subjects for her. The first hobbing iron I did had so many sides I'd forgotten what was on each side, (is that what's called a last?). Flat irons and hobbing irons take pride of place in the porch of my wife's cousin, up in Rise Park. The great thing with enamel paint is if it's outside, the sun bakes it and it won't fade. Hope this doesn't bore you. B.

• Like 1
  • Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let's see if I've got this right ! Getting it all wrong.

This is only a trial mind. Hoping I've learned to post pics. Will try not to bore ya'all. B.

Miniature stools Gem. All in need of some touching up where chipped. Had em ages, butterflies too.

Lovely work BK .

This reminds me of some Dutch decoration called "stipwerk" . All done with nails hammered into a cork or a wood base and dipped into paint . Various designs of nails build up the patterns .

It's a handi-work of the people living in Staphorst who are a bit like the Amish in America , like to keep themselves to themselves .

They also decorate material / clothing with it . Just google or youtube "stipwork" and you can see numerous designs .

When visiting our son in northern Holland have often passed by this area but never called in....one day !

PVG-20060802-719g+(2).jpg

4360322.jpg

bovenkant-website.jpg

• Like 6

Nice pix DavidW, an interesting concept.. It reminds me a little of Aboriginal art in Australia. For some smaller flowers I tend to use a round embossing tool, dipped in paint and applied. It usually leaves a perfect round that you can't always get with a brush. You know, I never thought I'd have my own thread, with so many compliments. Whodve thunk it !! B.

• Like 5
22 minutes ago, Beekay said:

I never thought I'd have my own thread

And well deserved it is too BK, some lovely artwork youve produced

Rog

IMG-20180717-140840.jpg

This is only a trial mind. Hoping I've learned to post pics. Will try not to bore ya'all. B.

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1

Looks good to me, BK.  Pleased you've mastered the 'art' of posting pictures on here.  Look forward to seeing more of your work...

The other reason you need to keep posting is that - if you're like me - you'll forget how you managed to post the photos!!!

• Upvote 1
Just now, MargieH said:

Looks good to me, BK.  Pleased you've mastered the 'art' of posting pictures on here.  Look forward to seeing more of your work...

Made me own little wheelbarrow. And it's with my most grateful thanks to Carni and LizzieM. Without whose help I would still be dithering in the quagmire. X

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Beekay said:

Made me own little wheelbarrow. And it's with my most grateful thanks to Carni and LizzieM. Without whose help I would still be dithering in the quagmire. X

BK if you ever feel like entering the world of dolls house miniature your painted wheelbarrow would be an instant best seller. There are many mini items that would benefit from your talent.

• Like 1

Lizzie, you want to get yourself down the Castle Marina. Some of the stuff there is unbelievable. A friend of ours has a boat at Sawley Marina and that is interesting too.

However, after a while, it tends to be a bit samey, as some of the owners attempt to outdo each other.

Thank you Gem, the wheelbarrow came about because I had to cut a hole in wood for a pipe to go through. Used the hole cutter in the drill and ended up with small piece of wood, then I thought I could do something with this and made the barrow round the wheel. B.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, FLY2 said:

Lizzie, you want to get yourself down the Castle Marina. Some of the stuff there is unbelievable. A friend of ours has a boat at Sawley Marina and that is interesting too.

However, after a while, it tends to be a bit samey, as some of the owners attempt to outdo each other.

Fly, a lot of boaters tend to use transfers, which is a bit like pretend or cheating. A pity really but a less expensive way to decorate your boat.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Gem said:

BK if you ever feel like entering the world of dolls house miniature your painted wheelbarrow would be an instant best seller. There are many mini items that would benefit from your talent.

Gem, tomorrow I am gonna post you some other little home made and painted items. B.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

Do you keep all your painted items for yourself Beekay or do you sell it.  You could have a nice little earner there from a great talent.  

Got some items but I give a lot away if folks are interested. Once tried a stall down here a few years ago but not having any canals nearby, there was no interest. Did sell a few handmade butterflies though. B.

• Upvote 1

NonnaB, four reactions in two minutes ! Thank you for your interest. That goes for the rest of you. Barrie.

Off to bed now, good night and God Bless.

Barrie, When ever we are out cycling along our canal towpaths and a narrow boat goes by with the painted ornaments on, I shall always think of you and your talent. We are a pair of old 'Gongoozlers' Well done Miduck. That is a beautiful picture of Sheffield Park, with the reflection of the trees in the lake, so peaceful.

• Like 2

Morning Carni, my sister in law has had the picture printed on canvas, about 20 x 30. Its up on her lounge wall and looks brilliant ! Don't know why I never thought of that.

5 hours ago, HSR said:

Good idea Brew..but way inferior to BK's work in my opinion..Gawdy & what's with the spout? People can become lazy when they persue commercial ventures. Great stuff BK!

Thank you HSR, for your kind words.

Trouble is Brew, when you start doing it for financial gain it ceases to be a hobby, but more of a commitment . At least I can paint when I feel like it and not be on a schedule. Hope this makes sense. Any road, I prefer to give em away. B.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
9 hours ago, Beekay said:

Got some items but I give a lot away if folks are interested. Once tried a stall down here a few years ago but not having any canals nearby, there was no interest. Did sell a few handmade butterflies though. B.

The room I am sitting in at the moment was originally a Chandlers shop for the nearby Trent and Mersey canal. Would have been a good outlet for your art a century or so ago. Spoke to Mrs PP about her painting some of the ironmongery we have lying about and she is interested. it's up to me now to remove rust and seal. I would normally use red lead primer then Hammerite?