Watcha PP,. I tend to use a primer/undercoat first and give it a couple of coats. Didn't realise you could still get red lead primer. For the base coat I use enamel once I've chosen the colour, usually British racing green, Black, (my favourite) dark blue or red, preferably maroon as bright red could swallow up the red roses. Always found Hammerite, although a brilliant paint is a sod to paint over but a great cover.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let's see if I've got this right ! Getting it all wrong.

This is only a trial mind. Hoping I've learned to post pics. Will try not to bore ya'all. B.

Miniature stools Gem. All in need of some touching up where chipped. Had em ages, butterflies too.

IMG-2164.jpg

IMG-2166.jpg

IMG-2169.jpg

Miniature stools Gem. All in need of some touching up where chipped. Had em ages, butterflies too.

• Like 10

BK is it red lead or red oxide???? Years back when I was in the electrical motor repair trade we were using red zinc oxide primer.

Doing some research though, red lead paint can still be bought, but I'd hazard a guess it can only be used on limited applications.

I've a couple of cans of red zinc oxide primer on my paint shelf.

1 minute ago, Ayupmeducks said:

BK is it red lead or red oxide???? Years back when I was in the electrical motor repair trade we were using red zinc oxide primer.

Doing some research though, red lead paint can still be bought, but I'd hazard a guess it can only be used on limited applications.

I've a couple of cans of red zinc oxide primer on my paint shelf.

I got mine from Aldi, it said primer undercoat so bought it. Good stuff, hard wearing, colour is white.

Lead or zinc??

9 minutes ago, Ayupmeducks said:

Lead or zinc??

Just had a look. It reads, 'water based pure acrylic sealer with added preservatives. For interior/exterior use. It suits my needs especially when working with wood. Had good results on galvanised metal too, which can be notorious for painting. Hope this helps. Beekay.

IMG-2171.jpg

Made & painted this as a tiepin. Made two even smaller, (about the size of half a wing), these I turned into earrings for 'er indoors. Somebody took a shine to them so I sold the pair !

• Like 4
22 minutes ago, Gem said:

Beekay what size is the smallest stool it's beautiful, the detail in your butterflies makes you think they are made from feathers.

11h x 17l x10w cm. Made it from an offcut of MDF. Thank you for your kind words.  hellothere I can make them smaller .

When seeing what members write and seeing their avatar, we don't really know what this person is about do we? Looking at BK's avatar you wouldn't imagine that he's capable of painting such lovely things. Thats sounds rude and insulting but its not. We all imagine what the person is like, and it just goes to show that we've all got something that we shine at. Come on all you members surely you have a creative hobby. Lets see them. I have dabbled in painting and sketching and I would love to be able to pick up a pencil and create a passable sketch. I have a sketching set that i bought years ago and never did use. Today when I've finished ironing I'm going to " try" to sketch something. Maybe the view from our gate across the field and vineyard. Thanks BK you've involontarily brought new enthusiasm back to me.

• Like 3

Looking back I can say that I have never done anything that can remotely be called 'creative' in the artistic sense. I've designed and been responsible for building factories, warehouses and an office block but these were totally functional and I didn't win any design awards. I've built a car, I've restored classic cars and tractors. I've painted and decorated but only domestically. I studied art at O level but I only did that because I was taking biology at A level and that involved a lot of drawings of dissections of plants and animals. Since then I have never drawn or painted in an artistic way. Quite honestly I wouldn't know where to start. There used to be an art class in the village hall but that sadly is no more. I don't think it's worth my while starting creativity now!

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I've built a car, I've restored classic cars and tractors.

Skills on their own Phil, don't put yourself down

Rog thumbsup

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I wouldn't know where to start building or restoring a car . I did my sketch but its not very interesting and certaily wouldn't win anything but a dustbin, but I enjoyed doing it. Had to do art at college for my C& G ( failed in science) . We had to draw hair pieces and wigs. Don't like to say it but I will :rolleyes: I was very good at it. I loved the shading part.

Beekay,. Looking back at my post regarding your paintings and avatar. It did sound rude but I can assure you that it wasn't meant in that sense . I really hope you didn't take it as an insult. Looking at peoples avatars you get a certain idea about them probably totally wrong, but I imagined you to have something to do mechanically. 

Better close this post before I get myself in too deep. Please more of your paintings.

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, nonnaB said:

I wouldn't know where to start building or restoring a car . I did my sketch but its not very interesting and certaily wouldn't win anything but a dustbin, but I enjoyed doing it. Had to do art at college for my C& G ( failed in science) . We had to draw hair pieces and wigs. Don't like to say it but I will :rolleyes: I was very good at it. I loved the shading part.

Nonna, it's me again ! Take it from me ya'all, if you can write your name then you can draw. A signature is a personal style of design. Im beginning to sound like a guru !  Nonna post your picture and let's have a look. Happy to have stirred up some interest. B.

Not a very interesting view as its only fields and vineyards. Its the same down the road Anyway that's it and please don't laugh

IMG-20190319-123251.jpg

And very nice too Nonna. As it's coming up to Easter, I thought I would post you and everyone an early greetings.

This pen and ink drawing I did many moons ago. I'm still learning. B.

• Like 1

Not at all. Your picture is just like I said. It's your interpretation of what's in your view. Keep your points sharp and eraser in the drawer. x

17 hours ago, Beekay said:

11h x 17l x10w cm. Made it from an offcut of MDF. Thank you for your kind words.  hellothere I can make them smaller .

You said that you could make the stools smaller are these sizes to small ...2.5 h/4.5w and 3cms deep. This is 12th scale that I use in my dolls house if you could make in this size I would be a regular customer, I can see them in a lot of Victorian kitchens. You are a very talented artist a lot of miniaturists would love to have your pictures in their mini houses. Gem

4 hours ago, nonnaB said:
1 hour ago, Gem said:

You said that you could make the stools smaller are these sizes to small ...2.5 h/4.5w and 3cms deep. This is 12th scale that I use in my dolls house if you could make in this size I would be a regular customer, I can see them in a lot of Victorian kitchens. You are a very talented artist a lot of miniaturists would love to have your pictures in their mini houses. Gem

Will give it a whirl and see how I get on. I'll be back. ;)

• Like 1