Btw, to emulate.....To copy something achieved by someone else, and try to do it as well as they have.

I would never suggest for one moment, that by trawling through books, one could achieve what Beekay has. For a start, he's probably had very many years practice to achieve those results. I was trying to give people the chance to give it a go if they so wish. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let's see if I've got this right ! Getting it all wrong.

This is only a trial mind. Hoping I've learned to post pics. Will try not to bore ya'all. B.

Miniature stools Gem. All in need of some touching up where chipped. Had em ages, butterflies too.

Hah ! Well I've got Reach AND Balance !

Come on ! I don't need that......l get things right first time. 99 out of 100, on my last assessment just before my retirement in 2010.

I lost one point because I very slightly scuffed the underside tip of my forks on the pallet on top of the pile. 

May I take this opportunity to add my humble observations. Prior to picking up my brushes last september, after my sister in law asked to decorate a jug for her, I'd not done any painting for about twenty years. In fact, a lot of my paints had dried up. I've gotta admit that I have enjoyed splashing the colour again, although that bath tub was a bugger ! I very much appreciate all your comments on this thread and I am most grateful to you all. It gives me much encouragement and inspires me to do the best I can, ( even though the hands are a bit shaky nowadays).

I thank you, one and all. Kindest regards, Barrie.

• Like 7

Sonny Liston had both reach and balance but Cassius Clay still knocked him down :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, LizzieM said:

One could say that if you read books on Brain Surgery you could be a Brain Surgeon .......

You, you mean you can't.........                                             nurse.... NURSE!!!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Good God, I wish I'd never said owt now !

• Like 1

I'm on your side Fly.   

Got the time lapse wrong on me last post. It's been 28 years since I stopped painting.

Brilliant stuff there B. Your choice of colours is spot on, and you've a real talent. Well done you.

• Like 2

IMG-20190817-093600.jpg

IMG-20190817-093617.jpg

This was my first attempt, way back in 1988. Absolute rubbish, but ' er indoors says I can't paint over it as it's a reminder of how I've progressed. Didn't have a clue then, that's why she bought me " Paint Roses and Castles ". B.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My suggestion to get a book is vindicated then ! Brilliant ! 

• Like 1

The book inspired me Fly, it didn't teach me. Made it up as I went along. As with the bath tub, no plan, just winged it and put down what came into my head. B.

• Like 2

Exactly B, you can rarely teach that sort of thing.  I was justified in suggesting that people could be inspired by reading a book, and unless one tries, they'll never know.

So folks, Sawley Marina gift shop this weekend !  Maybe eBay ?

• Like 1

These pics of BK's are really beautiful. I love trying new things  and if I don't quite know where to start I read on internet. I have learnt quite a lot and I never give up after the first failures. Years ago I had a knitting machine and made no end of childrens clothes in the hope of selling them which I did but the first results weren't very neatly finished. I persevered and made then professionally finished by attending a course at Mansfield . Same thing with cross stitch my first attempts were very messy because I was in a hurry to see the finished results. Then having seen someone elses work where the back of the work was almost identical to the front I threw away my first attempts and started to be a bit more careful . As they say practice makes perfect. I have quite a few angels hanging in my house but my husband won't have them in the bedroom, its too foreboding he says.

I use to make all my daughters clothes and when she started dancing I made all her dance dresses even the ones for her competitions.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I suppose those of us who demonstrated a modest talent for art in our schooldays have never pursued it. The last drawings I did were for A level biology where I had to sketch the innards of a frog or a rabbit which I had just dissected. Like running, which I was good at, I’ve never done any since I was eighteen. I don’t feel inclined to take up running now but I suppose I could start painting just to see if I still can. Perhaps when I’ve done a few I could exhibit myself!:biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Surely Phil, if you do have a crack at painting again, where are you going to get frog or rabbit innards ? There must be a limit on how many entrails pictures you could put on the market ?  :Shock:

8 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Haven’t got the heart to kill wildlife. The nude has an appeal but what approach does one use to ask a potential model? :biggrin:

"Ullo dahlin, get yer kit off n I'll give yer a quick coat of  Dulux emulsion wiv me roller- any pertikler shade you like"?      smile2

• Like 1
2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I suppose those of us who demonstrated a modest talent for art in our schooldays have never pursued it. The last drawings I did were for A level biology where I had to sketch the innards of a frog or a rabbit which I had just dissected. Like running, which I was good at, I’ve never done any since I was eighteen. I don’t feel inclined to take up running now but I suppose I could start painting just to see if I still can. Perhaps when I’ve done a few I could exhibit myself!:biggrin:

"Exhibit yourself?"   What DO you mean, Phil?   

• Upvote 1

Oh Lord, spare us !

• Upvote 1