• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let's see if I've got this right ! Getting it all wrong.

This is only a trial mind. Hoping I've learned to post pics. Will try not to bore ya'all. B.

Miniature stools Gem. All in need of some touching up where chipped. Had em ages, butterflies too.

Yes it'll be easier as I use google pics on my phone and posting pics on NS I can only post from pics taken on iPhone 

On 5/21/2020 at 6:28 AM, Willow wilson said:

Beautiful painting BK. The illustrations are excellent and I like the gold sprays and the rose motifs, very attractive. 

Cheers WW., your comments greatly encouraging. Thank you. thumbsup

Your work is lovely BK, you're very talented...i have a shoe last that i had planned on painting in the same style.....never got round to it....but i quite enjoy painting rocks....

IMG-20180518-WA0018.jpg

Thank you for your words Bigsis,  they're much appreciated. I too used to paint stones, way back in the late 70s.

Your picture looks a bit like a Dutch painting, with trees and what looks like tulips, (tried to enlarge it to have a better look). We'll have to stay in touch so we can swap ideas. I'm  already trying to get Mrs.PP to pick up her paints. Just finished my milk churn so I'm looking for something else.( I've done two shoe lasts for a cousin at Rise Park. Asked him to email me some pictures as I actually forgot to photo them before I delivered them).

Keep in touch. Take care, Beekay.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

This is one for Pevril Peril. Just found the picture. These were done a few years ago. They now live in Rise Park, a few doors down from where Chulla lived.

img-1590945398771.jpg

• Like 9

Thank you to all reacted to the above picture. Said it before but it is very much appreciated and inspires me to continue with the brushes.And just for those who want to know...They are in Rise Park, and that's in Nottingham.

5 hours ago, Beekay said:

Thank you to all reacted to the above picture. Said it before but it is very much appreciated and inspires me to continue with the brushes.And just for those who want to know...They are in Rise Park, and that's in Nottingham.

Beekay,  you are a very talented young man, personally am worse than a child and can't even paint inside the lines. Is painting something you have done all your life or a talent you discovered as you got older.

Gem 

Gem painting inside the lines is not necessary. Jackson Pollack never managed it and his works sells for millions!

Thank you Gem,  I've drawn and painted for as long as I can remember. Always seemed to do well at school then it sort of dropped off for a while. As a teenager, there was always something more interesting, like motorbikes, camping etc. My interest was re-ignited about 1970 (ish) when I joined Arnold art society.  I tended to stick to water colours at that time, I knew bugger all about oils. It was in the 80s after our first canal boat holiday that I developed an interest in canal art. Tina, my wife bought me a lovely book called " Let's  paint Rose's and Castles" and that showed me the technique of that style of painting. Over the years I  have develop my own style but following a general method. My very first sample, I still have and though I have suggested painting over it and starting again, my wife insisted a definite No ! As she says, it is a way of seeing how I  have progressed over the years. Hope I've not bored you. Cheers and stay safe. Beekay.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

We have five of those just waiting to be painted. I particularly like the way that you finished the edges, which highlights the shapes as well as framing the pictures/deco. I found something else yesterday for that would benefit from your art style - a home made cider press with sculptured front legs that I made it about 5 years ago and forgot that it was at the back of top shed. Just hoping that Mrs PP finishes the ten million piece jigsaw soon.

ps - just found this file - thought it was posted yesterday :rolleyes: 

HI Beekay have not been on site for 2 days and have just seen your paintings. They are really good, I also paint, tried oils, water colours, but not very good, for a couple of years I have being trying Chinese Brush paint and i realy enjoy it, before I was never happy with my art work, but this is different,  when you have finished your painting there is so much more you can add.       Trying   Chinese  Calligraphy   this is not so easy, so many ways it can be done.  You use Chinese ink which seem's to have a mind of it's own.

Hiya Mary and P.P., good morning to you both and anyone else reading this drivel. :rolleyes:  This hobbing irons, I reckon I painted them at least 16years ago. Every time we came up to Nottingham Tina's cousin would say they had a little something, could I paint it? The 'little something turned out to be those shoe lasts and a couple of flat irons ! Still, we had free board so can't grumble.

P.P, I painted a full size chair back in the late eighties, if I can find a picture I'll post it.

Mary, you must email me some pix of your work. Said it before, to NonnaB, don't knock what you do. It's your impression of what you see and how you interpret it....Enough for now! Keep up the good work.

For P.P.,. This chair I painted back in about 1992ish. Took a long while but I really enjoyed doing it.

A bit too big for putting in a doll's house though. :rolleyes:

IMG-20200602-104732.jpg

• Like 3

All this talk of art'n'stuff set me thinking and being bored off me t*ts came up with this. It's in acrylic and done using a palette knife. I have little  imagination or natural creativity so this is a picture. of a picture.

rbDnPH8.jpg

• Like 4

Do you mean I'm boring you Brew ? If so I'll have to find another topic that may interest you.

What about a photographic collection of bus stops I have stood at.?  :rolleyes:

B K if you were boring me you would know about it. You're putting the wrong interpretation on my post. I said I'm bored and all the art talk had set thinking if I had a go what sort of mess would I make, You can see the results, kept me occupied for a hour so. It took me longer to clean up than it did to paint the pic... I'm bored again now.

Brew, if that's your work I'm impressed. Very vibrant and lots of action. It looks like a waterfall dropping into a lake. Could that be the " Lady in Red" in the foreground?

It's all me BK but I copied it from a picture I saw somewhere a long time ago. I'm really not happy with it. The umbrella is at the wrong angle for the wind direction and the cloak/coat is too flat. First time I've ever used a palette knife. The thing I found about acrylics is the speed it dries. Looking at various sites you can buy jallop to slow it down but I couldn't wait so went ahead anyway. Someone here said why no face, 'cos she's facing away from me.... and I can't do faces anyway..  :rolleyes:

Could it be by chance, a Vettriano painting?  Personally, I couldn't afford to plaster acrylic on like that. You can slow it down a mite by watering it down slightly. One can almost work it like watercolour. Drying time is the main reason I'm not working outside, it's a bit like painting with treacle. When painting the churn, it was helpful when doing one side and working round, doing the other side then first side dry enough to continue. Do you find that colours are not solid but almost translucent. 

I ordered the paint in 500ml bottles, six different colours for £25 and a  canvas I bought from Aldi pre covid. I'd always had an idea to try to paint but it became a never got aroundtuit. Top tip if you don't use a lot then big bottles are a waste, some of them had gone off and were not even opened.

The colours are standard but basic and seem to cover OK. It helps I suppose that the canvas came pre gessoed (like I have a clue what that means),  but it looks just like undercoat to me.

I can't think of a Vettriano painting and his work is usually too explicit for me but I can see why you might think so, he does have a thing for giving his subjects umbrellas.

Really can't call to mind what  the picture was but it obviously must have stuck with me to remember it.

Normally all I do is draw cartoon characters in pencil for young Max.

Just been and had a look at my paints that sis in law bought me. They're all 59ml bottles with dispensing cap on top. Don't know the cost and felt it not my place to ask. We'll have to nurture this and see who else gets interested.