Plain Slab Or Fancy Slab That Is The Question

Having 2 large dogs I am going to have my back garden slabbed this year, easier to keep clean and more hygienic as I can swill it down with Jeyes fluid/dog disinfectant. At the moment there are 2 slabbed areas (both with different slabs) and (what is left of) a lawn. There is a paved area outside the conservatory which has fancy slabs which I think I will keep. The other area is where the previous owners let their dog out, it was fenced off from the lawn.  I have had the fence taken down, my boys  like to run around and play in garden so it was in the way. These slabs appear to have been just laid straight onto the soil, driving me mad continually needs weeding so they will have to go and be done properly. I have been looking at paving slabs and can’t decide whether to have plain or fancy. I think plain grey ones would be more practical and cheaper but would fancy look more appealing? Perhaps I could have an alternate plain and fancy one, like a chess board effect or even a row of plain and a row of fancy ones?  Or even mostly plain with an occasional fancy one?  Then there is the question of colour, just plain grey, multi colour or just one colour. It is only the back garden at the moment, will probably get front done next year although judging by this I still might be recovering from the trauma of having the back done. It is hard to envisage what they will look like en masses from just one slab, bit like wallpaper looks okay on the roll but you realise how awful it is when you finish the room! Perhaps if I get quotes for a couple of options things might be clearer. Think I am starting to lose the will to live or my head will explode!

• Upvote 1

One thing to note SG, it makes no difference what you go for the weeds will ALWAYS come back after a short period. I went for a mix of red and green Indian stone and herringbone brick setts to the front drive way with broken Welsh slate as a feature.

Pro:

When new it all looked brilliant

Con:

The broken slate taps leaves that blow about and looks a bit 'down and out'

The brick setts need a jet wash regulalrly

The stone colurs only show when wet, most times they look much the same.

Weeds propogate every bleddy where!

I'm looking at weedkiller at the moment but most seem to contain Glyphostate. I have  read it's carcinogenic.

Right then, lets get this one sorted. It doesn't matter what you put down, if it's done correctly weeds will not grow UP from the surface, they are deposited from our feathered friends and windblown seeds. However, no matter what you put down, weeds, moss etc will be there at some time or other. So choose your finish, do it right and just be prepared to do a bit of annual cleaning.

• Upvote 1

We have brick shaped blocks herringbone style in the courtyard and there are always weeds. We bought a flame gun which destroys the weeds so quickly. Much better than putting weed killer down as we have 4 dogs. They have taken " residence" in a corner to use as a bathroom  but as they are small dogs the mess isn't too bad, which is collected every day. I was it down with Jeyes fluid and then use a power washer. 

Nonna, just use the power washer with a fan jet, not the needle point. Once clean, resand the joints and use a good quality sealer. After that you won't need to get the flame thrower out again. Oops, meant to say, providing your patio was installed correctly to start with. If not, then keep the flame thrower handy!!

I've got a round brush head thingy that fits on my Karcher jet wash. I've not used it yet, but it's got to be more effective than the fan spray. 

I presume it's like one of those industrial buffing machines. 

I'll get it out in warmer weather, and have a play !

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, FLY2 said:

I've got a round brush head thingy that fits on my Karcher jet wash.

Who's been shopping at Aldi then.......

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Waddo said:

Nonna, just use the power washer with a fan jet, not the needle point. Once clean, resand the joints and use a good quality sealer. After that you won't need to get the flame thrower out again. Oops, meant to say, providing your patio was installed correctly to start with. If not, then keep the flame thrower handy!!

Yes we found out the hard way . There are too many blocks to seal them all. It was installed by professionals in 2000 when we moved in.

I'm not sure what your impression of a sealer is, but it comes in a liquid form that you simply apply with a roller. Usually 2 coats is sufficient .

I have read all posts with interest (never thought I would put that about a thread concerning paving slabs:huh:). Definitely not going down the block paving route, know people who have had this done and had problems. I do have a power washer will look into the “brush head thingy” fly was talking about, I presume that will stop me getting covered in gunk when cleaning it down. The paving I had down at my former home didn’t need weeding as much as the slabs that are down now, I swear the weeds now appear overnight, so occasional weeding I can cope with. Think I am veering more towards plain grey, just flat so easier to clean and, hopefully, cheaper than other options, I can always get some pots with flowers/plants in to break it up (do like butterflies and must look after the bees) and I have seen a flowerpot man on the internet which has taken my fancy as well, a bench (just have a plastic chair at the moment) or perhaps even a water feature? I have always fancied a sun dial as well.  Oh dear this is taking on a life of its own, I can see visits to garden centres looming, it is going to end up like Kew Gardens!

The only reason that your friends have had problems is because it was not done correctly. Unfortunately there are plenty of cowboys out there that will pick up on the slightest hint of no knowledge. As I said earlier, weeds will not grow up from beneath if it's been done correctly. That applies to Any sort of paving, be it slabs, blocks, asphalt, shingle etc.

9 hours ago, Waddo said:

I'm not sure what your impression of a sealer is, but it comes in a liquid form that you simply apply with a roller. Usually 2 coats is sufficient .

Yes I'm aware what a sealer is but as I said theres are just too many blocks to seal by choice.

In any case its not convenient to seal them as every now and again we have to lift the autobloccante to empty the biological cess pit. Yes we have one, primitive maybe but we live in the historical area way out in the country, now and again we have to level out the blocks as we have an underground stream that ocassionally lifts and dips the pavement. Large slabs aren't arent convenient for obvious reasons. Remembering the house dates to 1800's so no mod cons. we do have a bit of subsidence but we are keeping an eye on it and its not moved in 20 years.

By the way we do have bathrooms and running water and electricity.

Our drive in Norfolk was nearly 150 sq mts of brick weave ( best part of 7500 blocks) and i covered that ok ! Or do you mean that the joints are too wide, as you get with permeable paving ? Otherwise I don't know what you mean by too many to be effective!

Maybe I should have said convenient not effective. My english is starting to let me down

Sorry nonna, all of your reply didn't come through straightaway, so missed the last bit. Seen it now and understand

Thank goodness thought I had got to go into technical explainations which I don't understand anyway.

• Like 1