Junior School Songs you don't hear today

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some great old songs here. Was Linden Lea the tune of Love Me Tender? I always felt sad that my kids didnt have the same amount of singing in school. We had the radio on at 11am for Singing Together (

EEH ARE MISS my trips o'er border to Quaint little places like.....Jump and Wombwell ...even Manor Top where Luscious Lucy dwelt back in 68.........she alus tode me to ''Shut gate..on leavin t' county

I taught that song to a class when I was teaching. They sang it at a concert, all dressed in gumboots and flat caps. They all did the accent, too. Well it was a Yorkshire school. The performance was h

I remember a song called The Golden Vanity

A ship I have got in the north country

And she goes by the name of the Golden Vanity

Oh, I fear she will be taken by the Spanish Galilee as she sails in the lowlands low

The low lands, low

As she sails in the low lands low.

Also The Wraggle Taggle Gypsies

Three gypsies stood at the castle gate

They sang so high, they sang so low

The lady sate in her chamber late

Her heart it melted away as snow

It was an exceptionally poignant tale about a lady on her honeymoon who was so taken by the gypsies singing she ran away from her new husband to join them and when he realises she's gone he says

Oh, saddle for me my milk white steed

And go and fetch my pony oh

For I must ride to seek my bride

Who's gone with the Wraggle Taggle Gypsies oh.

Bloody hell, you lot! - I can't remember what I had for dinner on Tuesday but I'm remembering words of songs

I sang about 60 years ago at Whitegate Junior School.  

• Like 2

I know some of the words of the Raggle taggle gypsies but never heard of the first song!   Perhaps I was poorly on the day it was taught!

• 9 months later...

Talking of songs , remember singing Morning has broken , and All creature great and small in morning assembly at players school on Denewood crescent bilborough in the 70,s , ohhh yeah and I remember a big lump of a lad the local school bully aptly named Timothy Large !

Or the original version…

How could you use a poor maiden so?

The meaning of this song was never explained to us - probably just as well…

44 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Such poignant folk verses we hear, but none so enjoyable than the rhymes of Rambling Sid Rumpo!

I absolutely loved Rambling Syd Rumbo. My dad used to nearly wet himself when we listened to Round the Horne on Saturday lunch time before we went off to the football. Barry Took and Marty Feldman were some of the very talented script writers. Still funny to this day.

Bit of trivia. Did you know before Kenneth Horne got into comedy he was the CEO of the toy making company Chad Valley?

I was at Primary School 1955-61 and in one of the classrooms was a cupboard crammed with BBC radio for schools booklets of songs and music. Our teacher in my later years there was called David Harries and he was Welsh. Naturally he was very musical and used to organise the choir. He used to make full use of these BBC song booklets and I remember many of the songs like Charlie is my Darling, The Blacksmith and Cargoes.

Nearly all the choir members had Jerusalem down as their favourite. It still gives me goosebumps when I hear it.

In my early years I remember we were shepherded into a room to listen to the BBC radio for schools programmes which IIRC were broadcast on the Home Service later to become Radio 4

• Like 1

I recall being made to sing 'Soldier Soldier', 'The Raggle Taggle Gypsies O' etc. As for the BBC schools programme I recall one where the hosts/ announcers went back to to age of the dinosaurs and described what they saw. There were sound effects ( BBC Radiophonic Workshop?) and each week there was a cliffhanger ending..

I loved it.

Mess,

Round the Horn takes me back to time spent in Singapore when it was broadcast on the radio when out diving around the islands, everything stopped so we could listen to it. Even though it has been re-broadcast countless times since, I still find it hilarious! Radio comedy at its very best.