Pic no. 2. The fruit and veg market. Every lorry delivering here in the early 60s was a sheeted load, handball on and off. When they had unloaded the driver spread the tarps out in the middle of the road and folded them in their special way, outer edge to middle, with ropes in. 

Pic no. 25. In the background shows a good view of the Ragged School. I think it's still there but don't know if it's in use for anything nowadays.

2 hours ago, Willow wilson said:

the driver spread the tarps out in the middle of the road and folded them

And wan't it just a great job when it was freezing cold and your fingers were cracked and raw from coiling icy ropes...

• Upvote 1

And the loops and knots were frozen solid, and you couldn't get them undone !

• Like 1

The caption for Picture 3 is wrong, it's looking away from Sneinton Hermitage and that'.s the Earl Manvers in the background

• 4 months later...

This has just appeared on a Facebook group of which I am a member - British Saloons of the 1930's-80's. I think we can all see where it is. The newest car I can see at a quick glance is the Rootes Group estate which is 1965. (C reg). I am guessing on that basis that the picture is mid to late 60's.

British-Saloons-1930-1980.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1