Unashamed Political comment

1 hour ago, denshaw said:

Bonjour Rog.

Quite so. Jill is English, Rog is British. We got here courtesy of Italy (the Romans) , the Germans (Saxons) the French(Normans) and the Scandinavians (Vikings).

Me? whatever blood courses through these old arteries, I'm on the bike again to make the most of our British weather. Along the way, I don't mind what nationalities I encounter, as long as they extend the same courtesy to me as I will accord them.

Have a great day. and don't get wound up by the Westminster Windbags.

Phil

• Like 5
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm totally disgusted after watching the live debate in Parliament. We face one of the most important decisions the people have faced since the end of the war and what does Parliament do? Not a l

Ah now it becomes clearer. Is the 'plant' part of the name a reference to certain recreational pharmaceuticals?

I know someone who has dealt in coins 

I have always avoided commenting on political topics, but on this occasion I have to agree with oldphil , I am what I am ,other people are individuals as well ,who knows where our distant ancestors came from.  I hope to be pleasant and polite as often as I can. Leave the politics to politicians ,but politely let them know your views , often.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I'm English. Always have been English, always will be English. From today, I will be purchasing nothing European if I can avoid it, despite the difficulties that may cause me. As a protest.

Thank heaven for Aussie red wine!

I’m with Jill on this one. Ever since Merkel and Macron started kicking off and making threats we stopped consciously buying German or French products in this household. I even got rid of my Porsche! We still buy from Italy ‘cause they’re in a bad way and need all the help they can get!

• Like 2

Disappointing for some members today, as NO B***** pi55 up happening that was so eagerly envisaged ! 

Probably a couple are currently drowning their sorrows.

• Like 2

Haven't heard news this morning so can't comment on previous posts. I am also English but have dual nationality as do both my children and grandchildren. But don't know if anyone has ancestry? Every now and again there is an ad for DNA testing with surprising results. People are learning where they've originated from with some surprising results

englandflagI've often considered a DNA test, as with being adopted in September 45, and no official documents found, I could be from anywhere. 

Edited.... However, I was brought up VERY English.

• Like 3

The Normans were actually the Vikings who settled what is now known as Normandy. Norman is a corruption of "Norse Man" or "North Man" in English. They settled and adopted a dialect of French, probably a "Geordie" type of dialect...LOL

It's in the history books anyway.

• Upvote 1

There was a review of these DNA tests some time ago. The results are apparently vague to say the least.

Quote from Scientific America:

' They say where DNA like yours can be found on Earth today. By inference, we are to assume that significant proportions of our deep family came from those places. But to say that you are 20 percent Irish, 4 percent Native American or 12 percent Scandinavian is fun, trivial and has very little scientific meaning.'

Edit: Just read it again and one lab failed to identify that one saliva sample was canine, not human!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Pure white Phil. I don't mind being a Viking, or from US descent.

13 minutes ago, FLY2 said:

I could be from anywhere.

Where there any gooseberry bushes or storks in you area???   ;)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yeah ! 

Well I managed to obtain my original birth certificate, and that of my mother, who in August 45 lived in Radford, but can't find them at the moment.

I was actually adopted in Mansfield in September 45, but the documents were destroyed in a fire according to Social Services. 

No storks or gooseberry bushes in the Denman St area at that time I fear.

• Like 1

Ha, ha, I've not got eyes like Marty Feldman, and my knuckles aren't dragging on the pavement !

Errrr , yer wot !  :crazy:

If yer from the Denman street area I might know yer. Don't know where I'm from, me mam had a bike !!!

• Like 1

I doubt it, as when adopted, September 45, I was taken to Sutton in Ashfield, until we moved back to Nottm about 48.