Tom Watsons fishing tackle shop was just up the road from there Ian, was that building with the chimney anything to do with heating for the Boots buildings?

Rog

• Like 3

Is it connected to the incinerator at East Croft? (not physically connected although I don't know but maybe same purpose)

Rog

• Like 2

Better shot here Rog...68775-1-280-99999-unpad.jpgThe Watson Fothergill designed Police Station captures Boots power station, as well as Island St. and the Station St.Printing Dept.

Boots Gym and Printing got hit during the air raid .

• Like 2

I would love to see a photo or two of Worksop nick when I served there in the very early 80s. It is still intact, but seems to have been derelict for many years. I recall with pride, standing on the steps of Potter St nick and getting ready for the shift. Amongst the happiest times of my life. 

• Like 1
On 3/26/2019 at 6:58 AM, plantfit said:

Tom Watsons fishing tackle shop was just up the road from there Ian, was that building with the chimney anything to do with heating for the Boots buildings?

Rog

Roger, it was the boiler house stack for Boots years ago, been up it a few times. It was an easy laddering job as it has LB1s to fix the ladders to.  When we went up Eastcroft stack many years ago, Hooleys garage had their new cars stored in the firing line of the 'bitcho ' paint we were using to paint the smoke band. And yes, many cars got splattered!, Furse's insurance had a big hit!!. (Nowt to do with cop shops but the stacks were mentioned).

• Like 2

It's the solid black painted band around the top of chimneys where the smoke from the chimney contaminates the top of the stack             (I think) don't think you get them on brick stacks though,maybe that why a lot of brick stacks have that wider brick top,I'm sure waddo will put me right

Rog

• Like 1

Your just about correct there Rog, brick stacks don't usually have a smoke band as the contamination doesn't show up as much as on concrete or steel stacks. Plus the design of many brick stacks have what's called a head (the fancy corbelling the sticks out) below the blocking (the straight bit at the top) helps aerodynamicly to prevent the smoke from billowing down, as well as giving stability to the chimney.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Mercury..i will have a shufty..your moving story of your mate holding the fort during the riots...still i recall with fondness and respect.df6fd613046494f5612214520b3361e1845ca4dc

I recall that car park well. The house in the immediate centre was CID until took over by Senior Officers in about 1981. To the right was that most blessed of all places, the canteen. 

• Like 3

There’s a Nottingham Post article, dated 17th March 2019 that has 24 photos of old Nottingham Police stations if anyone is interested.  Some have already been posted on this thread. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...