Musing on racism

They're selling them in a charity shop in Hull, just been on "Look North" news program

Rog

• Like 1
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not exactly racism but discrimination which can be equally offensive to the person its directed to. A true story about my husband who is Sicilian. His family had a good business in the small village w

Well I'm a mongrel! A bit Cornish, Irish, Jewish and a sprinkling of other bits. So I like all races and hybrids like myself. Most English people are mongrels and better and stronger for it  No 'us an

Why is it people spend so much time and energy on the things that are different instead of what joins us together. None of us are pure bred , whatever that is. We are all a mixture  but most important

29 minutes ago, plantfit said:

They're selling them in a charity shop in Hull, just been on "Look North" news program

Rog

You can buy all over nowadays Rog. Just can't refer to em by their original names.. B.

• Like 1

I think they're called "Gollies" now, is there a special name for "White" dolls? just wondering like

Rog

I used to have black conductor for while, he called me " snowflake", I wasn't offended.

• Like 4

AYUP youth! I'm from Arna.....and I would never complain about them - so there! 

thumbsup

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Well I'm a mongrel! A bit Cornish, Irish, Jewish and a sprinkling of other bits. So I like all races and hybrids like myself. Most English people are mongrels and better and stronger for it :biggrin: No 'us and them' with me.

• Like 10

Must admit I like CORRONATION ST did any member watch the other night, when factory roof gave way and the nurse from the GPs practice was trapped. Now for members that don't follow the soaps, she had fallen in love with another girl and it was there wedding day. Of cause soaps being soaps the nurse who was trapped was a Muslim  and died, but what I'm trying to say is the way ITV put the program to the viewers was just excellent, the covering of how the mother of a Muslim girl was feeling also how the bride acted which was not in a selfish way, she only wanted the best for her girlfriend, even though the brides family did not agree with her,

So if you don't watch the soap's just get this episode on catch up and watch of the way it was.

WELL DONE ITV FOR BY COVERING MUSLIM AND CHRISTIAN FAITHS.

• Upvote 1

People are People you should only see the person

NOT WHAT colour ,race , religion, straight, gay, bio, people are.

If you were sick and you needed treatment and the only one who could give you treatment was one of the above, would  you tell them not to treat you as you were going to wait for same person as yourself 

Then when that person arrived to treat you, you could be dead, but if you do think like that then this world of ours will be a better place with out you.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

One of my uncles was stationed in Malaya during or after the Second World War, not sure which. Whilst he was there he met and eventually married who was to become my Aunty Rose (I am sure that I was told her proper name was quite a tongue twister, but I may have remembered that wrong, so Rose she became). I never thought about her being different than us, as I said she was just my aunt Rose who told us stories about growing up in Malaya and when my uncle was courting her, I didn’t realise until after she had passed away that she was born into the Muslim religion as she never practised it embracing our western life with great enthusiasm (we found out after my uncle passed away that he had converted so he could marry her - very romantic). I can’t imagine what prejudice they must have come across when they came back here it can’t have been easy and also for my cousins. (On a side note she disliked the Japanese intensely because of what happened in the war) She came from a very wealthy family in Malaya, they had servants, and my mum told me she didn’t know how to do anything, was used to the servants doing it and was very surprised that we didn’t have them here! She was a lovely lady, full of life and enjoyed every minute of it. She embraced her new family with enthusiasm and was accepted as one of us, they did end up living in Clifton for many years! It can’t have been easy for my grandparents but I never saw her or my cousins treated any different to the rest of us. In their later years my mum and dad went on holiday with them abroad for the first time to Majorca (spelling?) for a couple of years which eventually led to my mum and dad going to America to see relatives. Anyway I digress, it is what is inside that counts not what you see outside, that was all I wanted to say really, sorry it took such a long post to do it!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Mary, I loved your last post except for the last sentence.... but I SO agree with what you say in the first part. Well done x

SG I've just read your interesting post about your aunt Rose.  I think you are right that it's what's inside a person that counts. X

• Like 2

It's probably about now that someone will come on here and say "some of my best friends are black,asian,homosexual,lesbians," load of crap thats what I say

Rog

Interesting thread...……………………...

I am sure we all value tolerance

“Men build too many walls and not enough bridges.”
― Joseph Fort Newton

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Rog,  we all have a right to have our own opinions on this, and everything, of course.....

but just so I won't spoil your expectations, I have lots of friends, some of whom include all of those mentioned in your last post.   

Well said, Siddha.... there's too many walls!

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

I have a few Black/Asian friends......A Homosexual friend.......oh yes a Black Grandson.......love em all.............

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1
11 hours ago, PeverilPeril said:

Most English people are mongrels

I must be a mongrel - I have been diagnosed with  Dupuytren's contracture. The disease is commonly known as “Viking's disease” because it occurs more in people whose ancestors come from northern Europe.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I too have FRIENDS who are black and asian but they are NOT my BEST friends, don't have any homosexual friends though slywink

Rog

Why is it people spend so much time and energy on the things that are different instead of what joins us together. None of us are pure bred , whatever that is. We are all a mixture  but most importantly all human beings.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

I definitely am a mongrel, have welsh blood from my mothers side, my great grandmother lived on a mountain in Wales, or so my mum said. We have pictures of her in full Welsh national dress!  On my dads side we have french blood from my great grandmother who we presume met my great grandfather during the war. My dads side originated from Newcastle (have done a family tree on them). My mums side were theatrical my mum once told me my granddad (or it could have been my great grandad) was born at the side of a stage, don’t know if she was joking but said they had trouble finding his birth certificate because of this? and there were some concert pianists as well (she always said that is why some of us have long fingers and my sister and brother are musical, not me I am tone deaf). I am going to have a go at my mums family tree to see if the stories she told us are true or poetic licence.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Spot on Trogg,could'nt agree more,it's them that go squawking on about things all the time that causes the problems,maybe they've got nowt better to do

Rog

• Like 2