Musing on racism

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not exactly racism but discrimination which can be equally offensive to the person its directed to. A true story about my husband who is Sicilian. His family had a good business in the small village w

Well I'm a mongrel! A bit Cornish, Irish, Jewish and a sprinkling of other bits. So I like all races and hybrids like myself. Most English people are mongrels and better and stronger for it  No 'us an

Why is it people spend so much time and energy on the things that are different instead of what joins us together. None of us are pure bred , whatever that is. We are all a mixture  but most important

see you in Homebase car park in a couple of weeks Phil,  slywinkwe're off to Leicester next wednesday instead of newark

Rog

54 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

. I have lots of acquaintances though!

Yes Phil.....mostly when i say 'friends' it would be more accurate to say acquaintances............

• Like 3
On 4/4/2019 at 11:07 AM, philmayfield said:

We're like ships that pass in the night Rog.

I once travelled into the Arctic on a Hurtigruten ship which went up the Norwegian coast, every time a Hurtigruten ship passed another of their flock going in the opposite direction, they sounded their foghorns at each other in salute - day or night. No silent passing in the night in Norway!

• Like 1

I was the only white none officer in an artillery observation post team in Germany & they called me "white honky, I took no offence at all. My personal (self selected) password was "white honky." They were the best bunch of lads ever & we had great times in the German bars...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

That was funny, I am doing my hair and looking at my phone. Not wearing glasses and I thought this thread was called Making Icecream. Good I thought, I was just looking at recipes. 

• Upvote 1

Back in the 1990s I took a holiday in the working island of Trinidad. Everywhere I went lads would lean out of their vehicle window and shout "Hey Whitey!" as they drove past. I wasn't offended and on each occasion I simply waved and shoute "Hi!" back to them and of course, most waved back.  Can you imagine what would happen if I leaned out of a vehicle in UK and shouted "Hey Blackie!" at every coloured bloke I saw? 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

You'd be strung up Compo.

• Like 2

I was sweet on an Asian girl but when I met her Dad he said "I don't want my daughter dating/marrying a guy with blue eyes." He wasn't bothered about me being white just that I have blue eyes, the romance fizzled out..

• Like 1

I met young Asian girl (18) some years ago (long story) who's father was a race relations officer. She told me they couldn't be racist because they were Asian. It has been instilled into her that only whites are racist.

She was not allowed Caucasian friends and males where untouchable.

His reasoning? He was defending their culture... now where have I heard that before...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

Remember reading an article in New Scientist years (maybe decades) ago that said when someone emigrated to a country where they look different to the local indigenous population they usually congregate with people who look like themselves, & in many cases this seems to be true..

I read an article written by a black American who was always being pulled over & suspected of committing crimes by the cops. He went to Nigeria on hols & said "I never once got looked at twice by the cops, it was great to drive around in the hire car & not get pulled over. I now know what it feels like to be white in America." He emigrated to Nigeria & AFAIK he's still there.... Only place I've been to where whites are a minority is The Bahamas, but I was in a tourist area so I didn't stand out. The locals I met were very friendly...     

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Read another article about how to emigrate, it said (in so many words) to only emigrate to a country where you won't look different to the locals as you'll find it hard to integrate otherwise. So if I were to emigrate it'd have be to Northern Europe, Canada, USA, Australia or New Zealand as anywhere else my lily white fair skin & light blue eyes wouldn't fit in...

There are few countries today that could be considered 'white only'  Especially when countries allow unlimited access to so called refugees.

To this point I have found the three countries I have lived in to be welcoming to all.  Georgia, my current home in the deep south has always been accused of racism due to the history of slavery in the past.  Maybe I've been fortunate but the black folks I've met have been decent, open people.  The last one was a big black male nurse in the local hospital who came in to shave me, and I don't mean my face!.  ;)  Great guy, we had a few laughs and he brightened my day.  I wouldn't have wanted to argue with him anyway.

There are some rotten characters in all races,and racism is not just a white thing.   It is natural of any race to tend to congregate together.    As someone once said,  We need to hang together or we'll all hang seperately.

• Like 1

Well said Loppy........this last few months ive been hooked on some American u tube like shows..........'high desert' ,USA Constitution lovers,,and others i can't recall the titles....Much of it is about people with video cameras testing out the Police,,security guards and the like....Must admit it has put me off the USA quite a lot,,,mainly because of the really awful job the Police seem to do.Racism is seemingly rife.

It covers all parts of the country,,and i couldnt believe the offensive attitude of many Cops......Grew up loving America ,,Films,,TV shows,,actors,,Pop stars ,,infact more or less everything about the place,,,its certainly dented my opinion,,,