I'm not sure what this says about current priorities....

This version of Carlton Police Station was only built in the early 90s, but it's already closed down and being converted to apartments. Presumably not enough crime in the area to make it pay.

iqubDMF.jpg

• Like 1

Just an aside. When I was a little boy, I found a five pound note on the road. Stupidly I told my mother. She made me take it to the police station on Cavendish Road. I walked down Westdale Lane, then down Cavendish Road. I handed it over to a bemused policeman, and trudged all the way home again to Mapperley. I should have just spent it.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

You obviously didn't get a warm glow from knowing you were doing the right thing ....

When I was about 9 or 10, I found a 10 shilling note.To my eyes at the time, it was such a large amount there was no alternative but to take it to the police station (at Clifton).

To my great surprise, after three months no-one claimed it, so it became mine after all. Christmas came early.

• Like 5

One of the Crew I worked with once found a wallet in the centre reservation of the M1. There was about 600 pounds worth of German money in it, shows how long ago it was, and belonged to a soldier serving over there. I often wonder if he ever got it back..

• Upvote 1

Years ago my youngest son lost his wallet on the way home from the pub along a country lane.  He never told us, he knew he’d get a good telling off from his Mum!   It must have been about 2 years after losing it, he was overseas working and I took a phone call from the local Police Station, asking if he was available.  I explained he was away and the copper asked me to go to the station!  I was a bit concerned, to say the least, but toddled off to find out what he’d been up to.  The policeman on the desk handed me a soggy and very tatty leather wallet containing bank cards, business cards and a small amount of Jamaican dollars.  He explained that a family out walking had found the wallet in the undergrowth along the lane.  They’d taken it into the station convinced it belonged to a drug dealer (the Jamaican dollars!). When my son returned home he went round to the family’s house with presents for the kids, even though none of the contents of the wallet was any use to him any more.  He just wanted to show them how rewarding it is to be honest.   

• Like 6
  • 3 weeks later...

Carlton police station was a victim of changing fashions in the Home Office. When it was built they wanted forces to close small, local nicks and move to fewer, larger stations that could be built like mini-fortresses. Now the Whitehall mandarins want policing hubs with officers working out of their cars with as little public facing facilities as they can get away with.

It is ironic that Carlton nick is going to be converted by those former kings of the doors the Bailey brothers.

11 hours ago, bamber said:

It is ironic that Carlton nick is going to be converted by those former kings of the doors the Bailey brothers.

Well it’s taking them long enough to sell the rabbit hutch eco-friendly properties up on Woodborough Road, at over half a million each! 

The Ilkeston police station was build with Mr Blair's PFI as a cheap way of getting a new station. It's now rumoured the costs are making the pips squeak in the budget.

I wonder if Carlton is/was the same, it's about the right era and if so selling it off was the only way to get out.

12 hours ago, LizzieM said:

Well it’s taking them long enough to sell the rabbit hutch eco-friendly properties up on Woodborough Road, at over half a million each! 

Do you mean those at the top of Mapperley Rise?

I have heard that some of the flats are unoccupied but busy.

11 hours ago, Brew said:

The Ilkeston police station was build with Mr Blair's PFI as a cheap way of getting a new station. It's now rumoured the costs are making the pips squeak in the budget.

I wonder if Carlton is/was the same, it's about the right era and if so selling it off was the only way to get out.

Carlton nick was not a PFI build. The big drain on the force's budget is the policing hub, on the Queen's Drive industrial estate, which is a PFI scheme.

National policing priorities are ring fenced by the Home Office. So if you have to make budget cuts local policing gets the chop.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, bamber said:

Do you mean those at the top of Mapperley Rise?

I have heard that some of the flats are unoccupied but busy.

No they built some detached houses near St Jude’s Church, called Carriage Close I think.  Too many crammed into the plot.   Some still for sale on Rightmove. 

2 hours ago, LizzieM said:

No they built some detached houses near St Jude’s Church, called Carriage Close I think.  Too many crammed into the plot.   Some still for sale on Rightmove. 

I know them. They look as if they have been built as cheaply as possible. They certainly lack the style (and gardens) of the pre-war houses in MP.

1 hour ago, Rob.L said:

On the site of the infamous Beechwood Children’s Home. I wonder how many of the new residents know of its history?

Is it Rob? I thought that Beechwood Children’s Home was still there next door, all boarded up.  

• 1 month later...

Not a pleasant subject but there is an article about Beechwood on the BBC news website this morning. I know there are a few former residents among our members. Ghastly goings on. Seems the place is still in existence but, thankfully, closed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-46320025

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I found 3 ten shilling notes in an envolope on Watnall rd Nuthall itook them home my mother made me take them to Kimberley police station they said if no one claims them in 3 months they were mine.No one claimed them i got them back about a week before going to the seaside i was so exited taking a fortune on holiday to spend.I was 8 or 9 years old at the time.