never thought of that Phil, best stay away for a time and keep the bit's well covered

Rog

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, I wasn't hoping for much and wasn't disappointed. All Indian food tastes pretty much the same to me. A high end Indian restaurant, Ghurka One, in nearby Rolleston has just closed down to be repla

So sad Rog.......all towns and Cities are going the same way........our World is becoming unrecogniseable from the one we knew and grew up with......and its not for the better.........

Between Castle gate and Middle gate there is a small alleyway and at the entrance off Castle gate are these unusual bricks set into the wall about twelve to fifteen inches from the ground, the story i

Cliff ton supplied some lists of Marsdens and Farrands shops,,,have you got some as well ?

Ah Crumbed Ham........lovely 2/6 per Qtr........must admit ,did eat some whilst slicing.....well you had to know it was in good nick.........same went for Luncheon Meat,,Haselet,,Corned Beef even Brawn and Shoulder Ham..........plus a few broken biscuits,,,oh nearly forgot   ''Yeast'' made ya tabs laugh.....

• Like 1

Mcfies black treacle,,,remember it well,,never a big seller,,,can't say i ever tried it,,back in the 60s it was strictly 'Lyles Golden syrup'' 1/6 and 2/9,,small can is all Mcfies did (i think) about 2 bob...........

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...

Walking through Tolney lane park this morning and took a set of six photo's of the street lights each with a different caption underneath, thought a couple of them worth posting here, just look up when walking round you never know what you might see

DSCF1745.jpg

DSCF1746.jpg

Rog

• Like 1

Just to update plantfit's posting on 8 April 2019, an extract from the Post website earlier this year:-

Business owners are becoming frustrated with recent changes at a Nottinghamshire retail park which has seen their customers receiving fines. Visitors at Northgate Retail Park, off Lincoln Bridge Road, Newark, are no longer able to leave the site whilst parked there, which means they need to park elsewhere to visit nearby businesses.

They mean Lincoln Road, there being no Lincoln Bridge Road in Newark. Typical Post.

They started that in the beginning of summer this year, not sure how they are going to police it unless they've set some one on to keep an eye on where people go other than the shops on site,I think they have always had a maximum parking time of a couple of hours though

Rog

A bit more history from Newark on Trent, the grave of Wladyslaw Sikorski commander in chief of Polish forces during WW2 died in a air accident at Gibraltar 4 June 1943 was buried here, his body was finally returned to Poland in 1993

P1050601.jpg

P1050603.jpg

Rog

Wasn’t just Sikorski. Władysław Raczkiewicz, August Zaleski and Stanisław Ostrowski, three prime ministers of the government in exile were also buried at Newark.

Their remains were repatriated to Poland only a few weeks ago.

• Like 1
On 12/9/2022 at 11:30 PM, plantfit said:

A bit more history from Newark on Trent, the grave of Wladyslaw Sikorski commander in chief of Polish forces during WW2 died in a air accident at Gibraltar 4 June 1943 was buried here, his body was finally returned to Poland in 1993

I visited that cemetery last time I was in Newark. I found it a very moving experience, almost 400 graves of men who left their country, then under the German jackboot, to fight for our freedoms alongside service personnel of allied nations and who paid the supreme sacrifice. Lest we Forget.

• Like 2
On 12/12/2022 at 11:02 AM, trogg said:

I visit this Cemetery often and stop and look at these, they are mostly young boys, we owe them a lot. their graves are kept in an immaculate condition.

Far too many young lives lost

P1050599.jpg

Rog

• 1 month later...

Has anyone ever noticed the clock face on the church in Newark facing the market is of a bigger diameter then the others, anyone know the reason? the vicar reckons it's so the market traders back in the day (whenever that was) could see it easier but I'm not so sure

P1090146.jpg

Rog

I don't know the building, but the church has its own Wiki page, which even gives the dimensions of the clock faces, although it doesn't say why all four aren't the same size. Even though the church goes back a long way, the clock has only been there since 1898 .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_St_Mary_Magdalene,_Newark-on-Trent

I have a meeting in Newark Town Hall in February at 2pm. Where would be the best place to park? Am thinking of having some lunch prior, any suggestions of good eateries? 

The nearest car parks to the marketplace are the multi storey on Lombard St., otherwise Appleton Gate. There's plenty more within walking distance. I've never eaten in Newark other than Waitrose cafe where you can park for free for 2 hours.

The Queen's Head to the rhs of the town hall is the nearest eaterie. I've not been in for over 50 years though!

I park in the old cattle market top of Tolney lane, £1.50 for two hours or £5.00 all day, nice walk across either Trent bridge or walk over Town lock to the main road near the bus station

Rog