• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, I wasn't hoping for much and wasn't disappointed. All Indian food tastes pretty much the same to me. A high end Indian restaurant, Ghurka One, in nearby Rolleston has just closed down to be repla

So sad Rog.......all towns and Cities are going the same way........our World is becoming unrecogniseable from the one we knew and grew up with......and its not for the better.........

Between Castle gate and Middle gate there is a small alleyway and at the entrance off Castle gate are these unusual bricks set into the wall about twelve to fifteen inches from the ground, the story i

Did the Trent flow at the side of the castle in the 1640's?, I thought that was called the Newark dyke, the old river runs through Kelham and Muskham, Philmayfield will probably know more

Rog

I watched River Hunters. A bit amateurish, but interesting all the same. Newark is an absolutely fascinating area for anyone with an interest in the Civil War.

• Like 1

Newark has an extremely important historical past, and I never get bored from visiting there. As it was the first crossing point on the Trent travelling upstream, it became an integral area in any conflict. The Civil War Centre is well worth a visit, and it's got a varied selection of shops too.

Boring, not in my estimation. Fascinating, yes !

• Like 1

Thanks Rog. I've lived near Newark, worked there in the mid 90's, and often visit there on a Saturday afternoon. The area around the market is absolutely brimming with great architecture (Other than that supermarket of course) it's past is one of the most interesting of East Midlands towns. Good pubs / restaurants, antique shops, Rowes butchers for their pork pies. River cruises, and an industrial history that is second to none. I love the place.

• Like 1

Took 'er indoors on a visit to Newark once. She was hugely impressed by the amount of rubbish bins located on the streets around the town. She now calls it "The town of many bins".

We took a look at the market just as it was closing. A fishmonger sold us a huge Megrim for a pound rather than bin it. Result!

• Like 2

Back in the 60s, my auntie and uncle used to run the White Hart pub in Newark, Home Ales pub with lodging above, used to have loads of fun as a lad when we visited. I can always remember that it had that typical pub smell that you don't seem to get in pubs of today.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Newark’s been my closest ‘proper’ town for 57 years. Southwell is much nearer but that’s a big village even though it’s got a Minster. Newark’s a pleasant place on the surface but it has a lot of inbreds, so much so that some are their own father! It also has a large gypsy population. That was probably because it’s at the confluence of the Fosse Way and the Great North Rd. Visit and enjoy the delights of Newark but be warned - don’t go down Tolney Lane! ;)

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, Waddo said:

that typical pub smell that you don't seem to get in pubs of today.

Probably because the smell of cooking froom the kitchens of modern pubs outweighes the smell of stale ale. Don't forget that in "The good old days" pubs sold beer, wines and spirits, crisps, peanuts and cheese 'n onion cobs. These days they sell restauarant type meals; the other stuff is almost just a sideline.

thumbsdown

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The smell of beer soaked beermats,cigarette ashtrays and sweaty piss heads  thumbsup Happy dayz

Rog

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, Compo said:

cheese 'n onion cobs

That's funny Compo, I was only talking to my daughter the other day about things you don't 

see anymore and I said cheese 'n onion cobs. Pub grub of the day.:rolleyes:

• Like 1

A friend of mine renovated a pub many years ago. Couldn't get rid of the smell until the floorboards were ripped out and replaced.

There used to be an assortment of cobs in a glass case on the bar but hygiene/ health and safety have stopped this. They always stimulated the appetite and sold well. It’s not the same when someone has to go into the kitchen where it takes them forever to assemble a cob and you’ve lost interest by the time it arrives.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Back in the late sixties when I was on bulk coal deliveries, we used to do a run from Sutton pit to Ketton cement nr.Stamford. One route used to take us through Newark on the Balderton road to pick up the A1 south. About 15 years ago I was bringing my ma in law back to Nottingham from Norfolk and I suggested we came back through Newark and Southwell. Got to Newark and onto a bypass and hadn't got a bloody clue where I was. Got totally lost, had to retrace my steps until I recognised an area then managed to cross the Trent at the castle and eventually got ma home. Couldn't believe the changes in that locality. Same with Nottingham nowadays, considering I was a Corpo bus driver i hardly know anywhere. Have I been away THAT long ? B.

• Like 1

I know I've posted this picture before but it fits in well with the current posts, it is Newark town lock

Newark_22.08_(5).jpg

Rog

• Like 4
3 hours ago, plantfit said:

Ride my trike over to Newark quite regular,some lovely cafes,hidden alleyways and always find something new to look at

Biking over to Averham on Friday to see my sister (weather looks good then)

Tempted to come back via Newark for the first time in ages. Is the bacon shop still on the corner of the market, next to the tea/coffee merchants?

The finest combination of aromas I ever encountered.

I always call in at Greggs now,good coffee and a Bulwell dummy sausage roll nice old building with civil war connections

Newark_ride_19.07_(3).jpg

Outside Greggs

Rog

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It’s always pleasant to sit by the side of Newark Town Lock on a sunny Saturday afternoon and watch the boats passing through. Some crews are competent, others less so. I’ve been through many times in my boating days when we kept a boat either at Farndon or Newark Marina. It can be it a bit embarrassing locking through in front of a bunch of spectators who are hoping you’ll fall in. I still have a boat but it’s a Boston Whaler, more suitable for the sea than the river. I haven’t used it for four years so I’m just getting it spruced up for sale. Sadly I think my boating days are over. :(

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the pic of FLY 11, Rog. Fame at last ! 

• Like 1

There used to be a large black boat, berthed just on the east side of the bridge, that was a bar / restaurant. I remember my ex and I having drinks on board very many years ago. Wonderful on a pleasant sunny afternoon.

• Like 1

Further to Newarks involvement in the Civil War, and the recent River Hunters programme, there was another very important battle just along the Trent at East Stoke. There's a small stream runs into the Trent between there and Shelford, called the Red Brook or something similar, due to the fact it ran red with blood during the battle.

When I was fairly young, my dad took me to Shelford church, which had allegedly been used as a sanctuary during the battle, and in those days, you could still see chunks knocked out of the stonework by cannon balls and musket balls.

However, on visiting the church a few years ago, all the damaged stonework had been very professionally replaced. Shame really. 

Yes, definitely plenty of history was made in the Newark area.

• Like 1