I seem to recall being told that it was known as Red Gutter. It was the Battle of Stoke Field in June 1487, the last major battle in The Wars of The Roses, some two years after the Battle of Bosworth Field, and was

when the rebel Yorkist forces were routed by the far larger royalist army, with just about 100 fatalities suffered by the royalists but an estimated 4000 of the Yorkists killed within three hours.

• Like 2
  • Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, I wasn't hoping for much and wasn't disappointed. All Indian food tastes pretty much the same to me. A high end Indian restaurant, Ghurka One, in nearby Rolleston has just closed down to be repla

So sad Rog.......all towns and Cities are going the same way........our World is becoming unrecogniseable from the one we knew and grew up with......and its not for the better.........

Between Castle gate and Middle gate there is a small alleyway and at the entrance off Castle gate are these unusual bricks set into the wall about twelve to fifteen inches from the ground, the story i

To add to Fly's posting, the Battle of Stoke Field was the final battle of the Wars of the Roses and took place near to East Stoke, just over the River Trent from Fiskerton in 1487. A lot of blood was spilt and there are references to "red gutter' regarding this but nothing definitive to confirm the exact meaning. There's lots of info. if you wish to research it.

The other skirmish he refers to at Shelford church occurred much later during the Civil War around 1645.

• Like 2

Thanks Phil and Commo. Wars of the Roses, I was getting my conflicts mixed up.

I took my motorbike test at Newark on a market day, 1970 - everywhere was chocka-block. I had been riding without L plates for a few years but I was forced to take my test when a girlfriend (Rightly) refused to come on the bike until I had a full licence. At the question and answer part of the test the examiner said "What does 'cutting corners' mean?" I answered correctly and he replied - "so why the heck do you do it?!" He then pointed out that I had cut a corner on a back road where he was watching from a hidey hole. He passed me, so all was ok in the end :)

Newark used to be a good place to take a test. Back in the 60’s there was only one set of traffic lights, at Beaumond Cross, and only one hill within the town for a hill start. Those who failed in Nottingham were advised try in Newark!

If I'd have seen you I would have took a picture thumbsupWe'll have to have a cuppa next time we are there together Phil

Rog

On 2 April 2019 at 10:19 AM, philmayfield said:

‘Restaurant type meals’ prepared on the production line of Brakes and heated up in the microwave. Who do they think they are kidding with their claims of ‘home cooked food’?

What qualifies as home cooked or home made?

Good question Den, i suspect it's a bit vague judging by some of the stuff dished up at some places !!.

Well ‘home made’ would be made and cooked from scratch on the premises. ‘Home cooked’ is substantially reheated ‘ready meals’. They obviously won’t admit to serving such food but their description is somewhat economical with the truth. 

We were dining at a country pub in Cornwall some years ago eating ‘home cooked’ food. Our table was close to the kitchen door and we could hear pinging noises. I took a sneaky look when the coast was clear and was staggered to see row upon row of microwaves.

I accept that to serve meals quickly and at a competitive price ready meals are the way to go. They are not necessarily inferior to a meal wholly prepared on the premises which would take much longer to dish up. If you want good food made from scratch on the premises go to Sat Bains and pay £150 a head!

A report a few weeks ago suggested that ready meals were a well balanced diet of good quality food,low in fat and high in protein

Rog

The 'proper ' stuff overseas, I can testify, is far better than the stuff sampled in ready cooked or whatever you get from supermarket or garages !. 

Yes, I wasn't hoping for much and wasn't disappointed. All Indian food tastes pretty much the same to me. A high end Indian restaurant, Ghurka One, in nearby Rolleston has just closed down to be replaced by a 'gastropub'. 'Gastro' in the title always gives me the impression of an impending stomach disorder!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I don’t know what happened with the Ghurka One lot, they closed very quickly.  They’re Facebook friends of mine, since they had their first restaurant in Carrington.   I heard the new owners being interviewed on Radio Nottm a few weeks ago, they are experienced chefs, can’t remember where they have come from but time will tell if they will make a success of their venture.   Rolleston is just a bit too far to go out for dinner, only because somebody has to stay sober for the drive home.  

I've been visiting Newark for about 40 years. When I lived in Nottingham I'd cycle there occasionally and several times a month go with Lady Jane on the motor cycle. I worked shifts so it was a nice run out and not too far. I live about 7 miles from there now so we're regular visitors as it's the main town for us. We moved out to a village very near to Southwell 19 years ago which is a lovely place but like Phil find there's not a great deal there.

I love Newark. It is in my opinion a gem certainly in the East Midlands if not further afield. There is a traveller community down Tolney Lane but don't see them much, occasionally see the girls out in town usually very smart and often skimpy outfits . Don't see many of the men folk, only in their pickups and vans. There is wonderful architecture, the market place is lovely, little changed for 100 years or more and some grand old houses up London Road heading towards Balderton. It has one of the only Wicca temples in the country (if temple is the correct word) ironically in a tiny disused church and don't  forget that bad King John, the one of Robin Hood fame, died in the Newark castle.  

• Like 2

Letsavagoo, have you paid a visit to the little museum in the Butter market yet,well worth a visit especially if you get a tour of the council offices and ballroom,the small attached building on the left of the main building is actually a house, between the bank and the council building,there is just one window above the arched alleyway and two windows above that,you can just see the house I'm talking about behind the post,I'll see if I've got a clearer picture later

Newark_trike_ride_2012_(3).jpg

Rog

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks Rog. I have been in the museum and ballroom. Not the offices though. Some nice paintings. I'm aware of the thin house but nothing about it. Is it inhabited I wonder. I'd imagine it's not incredibly small but the position sandwiched where it is and height may add to the illusion.

The lady who showed us around said it was inhabited,it's certainly worth visiting though,as you say some lovely paintings,and all the council regalia stuff

Rog

Well these recent posts certainly prove that there's far more to Newark than meets the eye ! smile2

• Like 1
17 hours ago, LizzieM said:

I don’t know what happened with the Ghurka One lot, they closed very quickly.  They’re Facebook friends of mine, since they had their first restaurant in Carrington.   I heard the new owners being interviewed on Radio Nottm a few weeks ago, they are experienced chefs, can’t remember where they have come from but time will tell if they will make a success of their venture.   Rolleston is just a bit too far to go out for dinner, only because somebody has to stay sober for the drive home.  

There’s been a few country pubs that converted to ‘Indians’ but they don’t generally last for long. The locals will go once out of curiosity and decide the food is not for them and the townsfolk have more ‘Indians’ within easy reach. There’s one at Elton, on the way to Grantham and another at Kneesall, beyond Southwell, all out in the sticks and can only hope for passing trade. The Pauncefoot Arms at East Stoke became an Indian but has since closed. We simple countryfolk want good plain English fare and not fancy foreign muck. Let’s be honest, one Indian mean tastes much like another. I have been to the two or three Indians in Nottingham that are fairly good but not worth making a 30 mile round trip for. There are more restaurants in Southwell than necessary and Newark is overpopulated with diverse eateries. It’s not always fine dining here at Mayfield Towers - sausage chips and beans tonight by special request!:hungr:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I regularly used The Manor Arms as it was at Elton in the late 80's, early 90's, as Paul, the owner was a fine chef. The steaks were superb. 

The Pauncefoote Arms was another fine establishment, especially for a good Sunday dinner.

There was another great pub for Sunday lunch in Harby, but last time I drove through, it was an Indian.

People aren't going to travel long distances for a good Indian, when there's many such establishments on their doorsteps.

The Haven at Whatton was good also in those days. Again, brilliant steak and desserts, and Steve, the chef made wonderful Sunday roasts.

• Like 1