8 minutes ago, MRS B said:

Think I might need to do a rekky beforehand.

If you are coming from the A46 into Newark over the railway level crossing (Newark castle station) the carpark will be on the right so you will need to turn right (Tolney lane) immediately before Trent bridge then right again into the carpark,

Rog

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, I wasn't hoping for much and wasn't disappointed. All Indian food tastes pretty much the same to me. A high end Indian restaurant, Ghurka One, in nearby Rolleston has just closed down to be repla

So sad Rog.......all towns and Cities are going the same way........our World is becoming unrecogniseable from the one we knew and grew up with......and its not for the better.........

Between Castle gate and Middle gate there is a small alleyway and at the entrance off Castle gate are these unusual bricks set into the wall about twelve to fifteen inches from the ground, the story i

2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Don't forget there's a market in that car park on a Wednesday.

forgot about that, bit of a car boot/old tat auction

Rog

That Wednesday market has been going for many years. It was held on Beastmarket hill over the bridge, by the river, before the new cattle market was built the other side of the railway crossing. Like you say you could bid for all sorts of tat there. I did go to the cattle market once with a farmer friend. There was a bar where I’ve never seen so much whisky drunk in all my life. I don’t know how those farmers managed to drive home! They’d put a fiver, luck money, into the top pocket of whoever had bought their stock.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Beekay said:

Bargain Hunt on BBC at the moment is from Newark. Would it be at the market to which you refer Phil?

Probably not B unless they are looking for some old tat or items with a dubious history slywink

Rog

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

No, the regular Newark Antique Fairs are on the county showground, the former Winthorpe airfield just off the A46 towards Lincoln. We went once but the prices were too high for us. We’re pretty savvy antique buyers!

Trouble is everyone now looks at their smartphone and googles each item to see what the items are fetching, I had a good deal a few years ago at Breedon antique fair/salesroom, a pair of Masons Ironstone candlesticks the guy wanted forty quid for them I offered him twenty and he accepted, very pleased with that, now though it seems the bottom has fell out of the pottery/ceramics market and no one is interested anymore

Rog

Yes Rog, looking at the Hemswell Antiques website the dealers are asking silly money for Moorcroft and Clarice Cliff pottery. They do have an interesting fossilised mammoth’s tusk, intricately carved for £43,000 but it’s been on sale for quite a long time.

I had plenty of "Mammoths Teeth" that was dug out of the various quarries I've worked in, gave then to the grandkids or donated them to the local schools

Rog

2 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Looks like you might have given away a fortune!

I think most go for around a hundred quid now, I still have some "Belamnites" in the garden and plenty of round flints of various sizes, they look good in the little rockery

Rog

It's amazing just what gets dug up in these quarries, nearly all of it goes unreported because once the archaeologists get involved it is very expensive and by law they can halt production for however long they feel necessary

Rog

When any new development is to be permitted in what the local authority deem to be an area of historical interest a preliminary archeological survey has to be carried out. We had to have one in our village church field just for the erection of benches. I and others dug a hole about six feet deep and I discovered what I thought to be a mammoth’s tooth. I handed it in along with lots of pottery finds from other excavations. Although the finds were displayed my tooth disappeared, presumably pinched by one of the bearded archeology blokes! I wish I’d kept it and said nothing.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, philmayfield said:

When any new development is to be permitted in what the local authority deem to be an area of historical interest a preliminary archeological survey has to be carried out. We had to have one in our village church field just for the erection of benches. I and others dug a hole about six feet deep and I discovered what I thought to be a mammoth’s tooth. I handed it in along with lots of pottery finds from other excavations. Although the finds were displayed my tooth disappeared, presumably pinched by one of the bearded archeology blokes! I wish I’d kept it and said nothing.

Exactly Phil, we had them at a quarry not far from where I live now, I was part of the management team at the quarry responsible for their H&S and payments of their bill, just over a quarter million quid for six week work and they were awkward as hell about wearing Hi Vis vests and hard hats in a working quarry, in other words a bloody expensive set up with people who have no thought for H&S or others on the site

Rog

On 1/15/2023 at 7:02 AM, philmayfield said:

Don't forget there's a market in that car park on a Wednesday.

Do they still have that market? As far as I know it stopped during covid and hasn’t restarted.

1 hour ago, letsavagoo said:

Do they still have that market? As far as I know it stopped during covid and hasn’t restarted.

Full market every Wednesday and Saturday with various little markets on the other days, bric a brac, antique/collectables that type of thing

Rog

On 1/16/2023 at 10:44 AM, plantfit said:

Full market every Wednesday and Saturday with various little markets on the other days, bric a brac, antique/collectables that type of thing

Rog

I was referring to the auction type sale on the car park corner of Tolney Lane not the market place.

21 minutes ago, letsavagoo said:

I was referring to the auction type sale on the car park corner of Tolney Lane not the market place.

As far as I know they still have the little auction/market

Rog

Yeah I have been to Newark many times but a good while back. My Aunty used to live in Balderton. I’ll do a Weds rekky when we get rid of this bloomin ice.

thanks everyone for the info