Aha ok, I’ll do the rekky on a Mon, Tues or Thursday then. I don’t have any choice about the meeting in February being scheduled on a Weds.

Thanks

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, I wasn't hoping for much and wasn't disappointed. All Indian food tastes pretty much the same to me. A high end Indian restaurant, Ghurka One, in nearby Rolleston has just closed down to be repla

So sad Rog.......all towns and Cities are going the same way........our World is becoming unrecogniseable from the one we knew and grew up with......and its not for the better.........

Between Castle gate and Middle gate there is a small alleyway and at the entrance off Castle gate are these unusual bricks set into the wall about twelve to fifteen inches from the ground, the story i

Beekay, I was 13 in 1968 and don’t think I had ever been there before that age. Still a Tollerton lass at that point and we didn’t have a car. My dad had to go on two buses to get to Players bonded warehouse on Triumph Road. Have been looking at house prices in Tollerton today randomly, absolutely ridiculous! 

I can remember going to my cousins wedding in Newark, she married an Arab and there was lots of handkerchief waving as I recall. 
It will be nice to go back actually.

Rub it in why dontcha ! I know I'm old to be .......your big brother.

When I were 13, I cycled to Newark from Radford. My parents never asked where I'd been all day. You couldn't do that nowadays . x 

Sorry Beekay, maybe you are my big new bro in disguise, I had two pretty good ones who aren’t here anymore so I’ll adopt you as my new one. I used to cycle too a lot with them over the fields and take a pack up and orange squash. Loved them to bits. Take care mate.

• Like 1

Whenever you see photos of Newark Castle you normally get something like this.......

Kgtxn9b.jpg

I always assumed that's just one side of the castle and it extends further back from the river. Wrong. Basically that is all there is.....what you see there is all you'll get.

People always talk about Nottingham not being a  proper castle (it's a Ducal Palace); but although Newark is a proper castle, there isn't much of it.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

Actually the Disney family are thought to have originated in nearby Norton Disney. Plantfit living nearby may have more info.

Walt Disney did pay a visit to the village in the 1950's there is a newspaper cutting record of the visit in the "Green man" public house which used to be called "The Vincent arms" named after the battle of Cape saint Vincent, there is reference to the Disney family living in the village in the public house though

Rog

Not too far from Newark is a place called Balderton, this might be of interest to the aviation fans on here, back in the day (whenever that was, 1940's I should think) a certain Frank Whittle lived for a time at Balderton hall and carried out a lot of his jet engine experiments at RAF Balderton (no longer there), worth mentioning I thought

Rog

On 1/17/2023 at 4:26 PM, plantfit said:

As far as I know they still have the little auction/market

Rog

I can confirm that there was not one of the auction type sales today in Newark either on the Tolney Lane corner or just over the bridge on the car park where the Castle barge floating pub is. I don’t think it restarted filling covid. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, letsavagoo said:

I can confirm that there was not one of the auction type sales today in Newark either on the Tolney Lane corner or just over the bridge on the car park where the Castle barge floating pub is. I don’t think it restarted filling covid. 

That was the old poultry market years ago

Rog

Visited Newark last Thursday; well, parked overnight  at the lorry park. It being a dry evening, I decided to have a walk round for old time's sake.

First port of call was the King's Arms. about 30 years ago when I last lived at Thurgarton, this was the go-to pub if you liked real ale; always a good selection. I was very disappointed to find that it's gone back to being a fairly ordinary boozer; friendly enough but no cask beer available, though in fairness this was down to a fault with the Doom Bar cask which should have been on.

I continued my walk; pleasantly surprised at how clean the town was, very little litter and no visible graffiti. Many of the shop fronts retain their original signage, and though Strays the corn merchants is now a twee cafe-bar it does look very good.

Having looked in vain for a fish and chip shop that was open, although pleased to see that Bentley's is still in business although closed for the day when I got there, I finally quenched my thirst at the Prince Rupert. Now, in my day that was called the Woolpack and was very much a working man's pub; it has been renovated to a good standard, was pleasant and comfortable; but since a pint of (admittedly good quality) bitter set me back £5.15, I won't be going again.

The whole town was eerily quiet; I accept that it's mid-January and that folk are skint after Christmas, but having perused a few estate agents windows on the way round, I think I can see the real reason. It's too damned expensive to live there.

• Like 2

It is expensive to buy a property there, thing is it's only just over an hour away from London so ideal commuter town without the massive expense of a property in the city

Rog

Yes, you should see the expensive cars in the station car park at Newark. We’re ten miles from Newark but I’ve known London commuters from our village. What a life though, commuting by train to the smoke everyday after a drive to the station. Early morning starts and late back home.

There used to be Scriveners in Thugarton, Bleasby and Fiskerton but not anymore I think.