10 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

There used to be Scriveners in Thugarton, Bleasby and Fiskerton but not anymore I think.

I was one of the Thurgarton clan; the last one to actually own property in the village. Technicality really as my sis and I inherited our parents' house which was opposite the Red Lion and we sold it on. I have relatives in Bleasby and Fiskerton but only the latter has the surname. I think you mentioned in a previous conversation some years ago that you knew Fred.

Priory Lane, at the top of the hill, was entirely populated by my family in the early 1960's. We originally hailed from Suffolk in the mid 19th century, where my ancestors were farm labourers. At a guess, the advent of the railways made it possible for them to move such a distance.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, I wasn't hoping for much and wasn't disappointed. All Indian food tastes pretty much the same to me. A high end Indian restaurant, Ghurka One, in nearby Rolleston has just closed down to be repla

So sad Rog.......all towns and Cities are going the same way........our World is becoming unrecogniseable from the one we knew and grew up with......and its not for the better.........

Between Castle gate and Middle gate there is a small alleyway and at the entrance off Castle gate are these unusual bricks set into the wall about twelve to fifteen inches from the ground, the story i

Same in our village Phil, one family sold their 1.25 million pound property in London, bought a half million pound house in the village that is bigger than the london property and overlooks fields and not other houses and offices, commutes every day from Newark and is a happy bloke, plenty of money in the bank and none of the stress of living in london

Rog

The last Scrivener I met lived over the crossing at Fiskerton on Station Lane and his nephew used to work on Caterham 7’s. I took mine for a check there after I built it. Looking at our property deeds a Scrivener used to rent our field back in the fifties.

Last time I sold a pint was in February 1987, up at the Blenheim pub, Sellars Wood, Bulwell. Bitter was 0.80p a pint.

51 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

The last Scrivener I met lived over the crossing at Fiskerton on Station Lane and his nephew used to work on Caterham 7’s. I took mine for a check there after I built it. Looking at our property deeds a Scrivener used to rent our field back in the fifties.

The nephew is Fred. He used the outbuildings after Uncle Ernest retired from farming and now owns the property.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Beekay said:

Last time I sold a pint was in February 1987, up at the Blenheim pub, Sellars Wood, Bulwell. Bitter was 0.80p a pint.

The last time I pulled a pint was in my local about 30 years ago. It was early doors and there was only four of us in there. One of them tempted the landlord to take a ride on the back of his new motorbike. I was put behind the bar with the words ‘don’t worry, nobody will come in’. Just as they left a coach load of OAP’s arrived and disgorged about twenty people. It was very embarrassing as they though I was mine host!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Intending to do a Newark rekkie this Wednesday and looking at parking in the carpark on Lombard Street. Know it’s market day but that will give me a good insight for when I go on the 22nd. Does the car=park sound ok Newark peeps for me to find the Town Hall. How is Spoons? 

• 6 months later...

It was announced yesterday the date for Wetherspoons in Newark Sir John Arderne will close it's door on Sunday August 20th and Wilkos have announced they are looking for an administrator, soon there will only be mobile phone repair shops, nail bars and charity shops left in the town

Rog

• 3 weeks later...

A lovely morning in Newark, good market on and some friendly folk about and lovely weather, shame a lot of the shops are closing down though soon be nothing left but mobile phone repairs, mobile phone shops, cafes, charity shops (very overpriced) and nail bars (six of), 

IMAG0002.jpg

IMAG0005.jpg

IMAG0006.jpg

Rog

• Like 1

Phil that’s awful. My dishwasher is all plugged in and just finished.

I’ve just read the book by Stephanie Slater, the estate agent kidnapped by Michael Sams and kept prisoner in his Newark workshop. The workshop in Swallow Yard is still there and much as it was then. It is now used by a small upholstery business which I visited recently. They were not very pleased when I mentioned Sams and the kidnapping and prefer to let it rest. 
I admire Ms Slater who was raped and lived in constant dread of being killed by Sams. She was released when a ransom was paid and faced her ordeal with great courage. She later went to live quietly on the Isle of White and sadly died relatively young with breast cancer. 
I was surprised the Nottinghamshire library's do not have a copy of the book which is quite scarce and hard to find.

• Like 1

I have read that book, too. She suffered a terrible ordeal. I can well imagine the occupants of the workshop don't want the connection mentioned. The workshop where Haigh murdered his victims and dissolved their bodies in acid vats still stands and is in use.  Even the hedge where he tipped the slurry (and where a pathologist identified gallstones from a victim) still exists. Gruesome stuff!

Sams lived in a house at the side of the East Coast Mainline and can be seen from the A1 just North of Cromwell

Rog

• 1 month later...

End of 130 years trading in Newark, , high rates and high energy bills have forced the popular butchers and provisions shop to close, another great loss to Newark which is rapidly becoming a ghost town, Half the shops on Stodman street have closed and left the town, Wetherspoons gone,M&S closed,all that seems to be left are mobile phone repairs, nail bars (6 of them) and charity shops (who are now charging just below brand new shop prices

Porters-Newark-2.jpg

Rog

• Like 3

So sad Rog.......all towns and Cities are going the same way........our World is becoming unrecogniseable from the one we knew and grew up with......and its not for the better.........

• Like 3