• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, I wasn't hoping for much and wasn't disappointed. All Indian food tastes pretty much the same to me. A high end Indian restaurant, Ghurka One, in nearby Rolleston has just closed down to be repla

So sad Rog.......all towns and Cities are going the same way........our World is becoming unrecogniseable from the one we knew and grew up with......and its not for the better.........

Between Castle gate and Middle gate there is a small alleyway and at the entrance off Castle gate are these unusual bricks set into the wall about twelve to fifteen inches from the ground, the story i

I’ve not been in to Sutton in Ashfield since the ‘60’s. My accountancy firm had a large building client there (J.Searson - no longer in business, they built many of the comprensive schools in Notts and a chunk of East Midlands Airport). I used to lunch in an excellent cafe, the Farmhouse Kitchen on Outram St. It was run by the Whetton’s, the same family as the famous runner. I’ve not been in to Mansfield either since Maplin Electronics closed (a great loss). I must suss out the shop on Brook St. although I’m not know for my elegant dress sense these days!

Not sure Phil but the 'Farmhouse Kitchen' was the one i remember when i did a stint at Farrands on outram street in the 60s....was it an 'Upstairs' place ?

Not heard of 'Clement Taylor's'' Jill..........but must pay a visit on your recomendation.....still got some birthday money left.....must treat myself....:)

Sutton is a dump these days, which is a shame. Clement Taylor's is more of a country wear shop: good selection of pure wool jumpers, tweeds, shirts, moleskin trousers, hats, caps, etc. a sort of Aladdin's cave.  Very obliging staff as you'd expect with such an old established company.

No Ben, the Farmhouse Kitchen was at street level. The Chinese just up the road was upstairs. Sutton was quite a pleasant town back in the ‘60’s but so many Notts towns have gone down the pan. Southwell’s still OK though. If you want a good countrywear shop try Brocklehurst’s of Bakewell. They’re my Derbyshire relatives who came from Sheldon.