Much has been said of graffiti in these pages over time so I thought it might be an idea to start a topic on the subject:

Some of the world's oldest graffiti is to be found in the British Isles. Here is an example from the Neolithic tomb at Maeshowe on the Orkney Isles.  The tomb was built around 5,000years ago and was known to the Vikings as evidenced by this and other runic graffiti carved into the stonework inside the tomb:

1080_16e00dba-76d5-4602-9a7d-74f76702f09 [Photo credit:Charles Tait photography]

"....At Maeshowe there are about 30 inscriptions, many of which are of the style "Thorfinn wrote these runes". Some gave their father's name, or a nickname, some are by women and one intriguing inscription says "These runes were carved by the man most skilled in runes on the Western Ocean with the axe that killed Gaukr Trandkill's son in the South of Iceland" This rune carver may have been Thorhallr Asgrimssom, Captain of Earl Rognvald Kali's ship when they returned in 1153 from the Crusades....." [Maeshowe.co.uk (My italics)]

Maeshowe chambered tomb:

1080_e21cdfe5-df18-4dfa-8c30-5e32634ba70

[ Photo credit: visit Scotland]

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I go in a beautiful Church in Spain where i holiday,,its in the middle of the town and admission is free,,      Then i see visitors going in,,with no respect for the place,, Ie,,wearing shorts an

Did his face ring a bell?

Equally entitled to make his mark as a social comment but not to deface the work of another. That's the difference between art and vandalism. The yob/yobess who defaced the picture is not entitled to

Recently, some carvings have been found in the caves at Creswell Crags too. Fascinating stuff.

• Like 1

I saw summat abaht that that on telly the other day, Fly. Right at the back, in the darkest place of the cave too. amazing!

• Upvote 1

I suppose it was the twelfth century equivalent of ' Kilroy woz ere'. When I worked for a while at Bodium castle, E.Sussex, I found some of the graffiti fascinating, going back to early 14th century. Presumed to be by bored soldiers on sentry duty and added to over the years. It became in ruin, thanks to Cromwell. B.

When we visited the 'art' cave at Cresswell Crags a couple of years ago, we weren't very impressed and it needed more than a little imagination to see the animals portrayed in most of the scratchings.   The guide was really effusive about them (as he should be - it's his job) but we felt it was a bit like the Emperor's new clothes.... 

Another of the caves which had bone and rock tools in them was much more interesting ( in my opinion )

Perhaps we were expecting too much ....thinking it might be like the famous cave paintings in France and elsewhere

Wonder what people would make of this bloody mess in the distant future, newly painted wall at the bottom of the bridge in Newark,the paint was hardly dry before some little shit moved in with a spray can

Newark_03.04_(15).jpg

Nearly as bad a littering, It's not art it's vandalism

Rog

• Like 2

Alright if the so called art is on their property,if it's on someone elses property it becomes vandalism

Rog

I'm not sure about Banksy. He is clever at superimposing things onto pictures that are not of his making and then stencilling them on a wall - but is that art?

Is what he does any more worthy than dozens of other 'street artists' who, as Mr Mayfield said. show real talent but choose to display it in the wrong place? at least what they do is all their own work. Now days we look down on the advert for Pears soap that used Millais' picture of a child blowing bubbles as being kitsch - is Banksy girl with a balloon any different?

In a world where unmade beds, piles of bricks and dead animals are 'art' I must have a fortune in my garage...

• Like 2

Oh but they do - I'm just too bloody thick skinned to care!;) I was recently threatened by the husband of the Christian Aid lady to whom I refused to give money as I told her that I wasn't a Christian. He leapt out at me from behind his hedge and said ' you're not a Christian, you're a sxxt! That's true Christianity for you! :biggrin:

• Like 2

Phil, Had a mate who used to give up his spare time at night and weekends to make sure the homeless/rough sleepers in Lincoln were ok and had something to eat and drink before they settled down for the night,this was run by the church,however,when my friend and his wife split up for whatever reason the church told him they no longer wanted him to help them  at night and weekends  because they didn't agree with marriages splitting up, very christian of them, and while on me high horse about these organisations, can someone tell me why probably the richest organisation in the country (the church) charge serious money to enter Lincoln and other cathedrals? their coffers must be overflowing,remember some teacher at school reading to us from the bible about a church being turned into a "Den of thieves", not much changed has it

Rog

52 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Oh but they do - I'm just too bloody thick skinned to care!;) I was recently threatened by the husband of the Christian Aid lady to whom I refused to give money as I told her that I wasn't a Christian. He leapt out at me from behind his hedge and said ' you're not a Christian, you're a sxxt! That's true Christianity for you! :biggrin:

On the contrary Phil.  I would suggest that is not true Christianity, it is hypocrisy.

True Christianity is about building friendships.

Edited to add, Ditto to your post Rog.

The 'church' you mentioned was actually Jesus words to the Jewish temple leaders about their money grubbing tricks.  He hated hypocrisy too.

Last time I went  Lincoln Cathedral I was asked to pay an enormous sum to enter. “You’re charging me to go  into the house of the Lord”? I said. “I don’t even  have to pay to go into Harrod’s” The man was lost for a reply so we just walked in!

• Like 1

I'm not even disagreeing with you Phil, but let's not confuse true Christianity with building upkeep.  I dont pretend to know what is involved with the cost of keeping such ancient buildings maintained and operating but I'm sure it's a lot of cash.  As you noted, they won't make it from memberships when they are declining fast.

Question then becomes, why are they declining?  That becomes theological.  Truth is, they have little to offer when much of their top leadership doesn't even believe their own book anymore.  Soon they will be mosques and then you can see if the Muslims will let you in free.

Even secular organizations charge you to see their buildings if they allow it at all.

11 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I’ve just checked online and it’s £8 to get into Lincoln Cathedral! They won’t convert me at that price! No wonder church membership is declining.

if it's the same as York, go in for evensong, you won't be charged. If your conscience pricks you, buy a postcard!

• Like 2