• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I go in a beautiful Church in Spain where i holiday,,its in the middle of the town and admission is free,,      Then i see visitors going in,,with no respect for the place,, Ie,,wearing shorts an

Did his face ring a bell?

Equally entitled to make his mark as a social comment but not to deface the work of another. That's the difference between art and vandalism. The yob/yobess who defaced the picture is not entitled to

That woman watching could well be the destroyer of a very nice piece of artwork that had brightened up a dull brick wall, judging by the sleeves of her jacket it seems she likes a bit of graffiti.  

In an earlier post, it said a sheet of Perspex had been put over the original graffiti picture.   Does that mean it can be cleaned off?

Raises the question that's been asked before, is art, or defacement of someones property? Is  the black spray paint any less 'art' than the stencil of the girl?

• Like 1

Well Banksy has confirmed on Instagram that it’s his work and that’s great.  
Beekay, It’s assumed that the wrecked bike is part of it, the girl is hula-hooping with a bike tyre ...... not far from the old Raleigh factory too.   

• Like 1

How is it that the 21st century has bred so many small minded, destructive creatures? I hesitate to call them people - they are more of a sub-human species in my books.

Haven't these destroyers of art work nothing better to do. What's the thrill of defacing something pleasurable to look at.

When we first started to see , even plants and tables etc outside bars and restaurants we thought ," they won't last long, someone is bound to pinch them or deface them"  After 50 yrs coming and going I must admit that our younger generation have a lot of respect for properties and buildings. At least in this area. The behavior of the younger ones has changed so much.

3 hours ago, nonnaB said:

destroyers of art work

But is it? who decides if it's 'art' and worth thousands or vandalism and worth punishment? Not all art is chocolate box pretty, Jackson Pollock springs to mind with his multicoloured paint splashes, Munch and his 'Scream' - worth millions but looks like a seven year old painted it. Mondrian, simple geometric shapes yet again worth a fortune. Tracy Emin's bed  and the most famous of all Picasso - do any of them really deserve the pretentious claptrap heaped on them?

If someone can spray paint a stencil of a girl on someones wall and get away with it, a yob must be equaly entitled to make his mark and claim it's a social comment on the human condition. Let's not forget when Bansky started he too was a yob who spray painted walls after a spell in prison.

Be interesting in court how they would decide one is art and one is not...

Debatable I suppose. If you like it , it's art. If you don't it's rubbish. I like both kinds of art IF I can understand it.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Willow wilson said:

The artist puts into their work that which they feel. The observer takes away that which they need.

A cliche that takes us no closer to the answer

50 minutes ago, Brew said:

Be interesting in court how they would decide one is art and one is not...

I doubt that art is a consideration for the court.  The question would be whether it was criminal damage.  If the owner of the wall did not give someone permission to paint it and if the painter committed the act with intent, knowing that they didn't have permission, I'd say the owner of the wall wins and the painter is probably ordered to pay compensation to have it cleaned off (it helps if someone admits to painting but a little tricky if you can't find them).

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Brew said:

a yob must be equaly entitled to make his mark and claim it's a social comment on the human condition.

Indeed, and in its basic form and even by an untrained artist. Introduce money and status into it and the art element is a shared  consideration. But a skilful experienced artist has a way with their chosen medium and an experience of the various facets of the human condition and is able to reach into the observer's world. This would raise its value in some quarters. A child's ventures into visuals is treasured by few but the child must have imagined something and the parent saw something unique and meaningful even as it was being created, at least i did in my experiences. 

What is art? A physical form of communication from one (abstract) mind to another at best but probably slightly more effective than spoken words for some things. What's it worth. Nominally the worth is suggested by expert artists.

It's real worth what you can get at auction.

• Like 3

We popped by the Banksy this afternoon, on the way to one or two car showrooms ....... mmmm, time for me to get interested/involved in new car decisions, my husband has been doing the groundwork for a few weeks so I think a decision will be imminent.  
Anyway, we never got out of the car, there were so many people hanging about near the Banksy that there was a policeman on duty controlling the crowd!! 
Didn’t buy a car either. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Art is surely just a personal opinion and judgement. Nobody is right or wrong. I like Banksy's material and think he's clever and original, but I don't understand why people will pay millions for Van Gogh or Cezanne or Matisse or Picasso. I don't rate them at all.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Brew said:

If someone can spray paint a stencil of a girl on someones wall and get away with it, a yob must be equaly entitled to make his mark and claim it's a social comment on the human condition.

Equally entitled to make his mark as a social comment but not to deface the work of another. That's the difference between art and vandalism. The yob/yobess who defaced the picture is not entitled to do this - his/her mark should be alongside if it is to be a comment and not to be considered wanton destruction.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Well, no-one is allowed to make his mark as a social comment on another person's property without permission - that is criminal damage.

Whether graffiti is art or vandalism is entirely subjective, depends on one's point of view but most will regard it as the latter. In this specific case, as Banksy is an artist whose work fetches high prices, the owner of the wall would probably be much more likely to consider themselves extremely fortunate rather than take umbrage  .... their wall has suddenly increased considerably in value!

Anyone who subsequently damages the now more valuable wall is guilty of an even greater level of criminal damage. 

• Like 2