Hidden gems of the Shire.

Well as we've been to foreign climes and back, and diverted to foreign languages, we've apparently upset the Notts only fraternity, so to compensate for that divergence, I suggest we post our own hidden gems of Nottinghamshire. Not city centre restaurants, monuments, architecture or multi million pound Garden Centres, but the little treasures tucked away in the depths of the Shire, such as Beauvale Priory and it's tea rooms that I discovered the other day. Little village memorials, tea rooms, ruins. Anything out of the ordinary that would be of interest.

Oh, and I definitely don't mean that we want thirty pictures a night, thereby flooding the site, and putting everyone off.

So, off you go folks and amaze, surprise, and capture our interests. 

• Like 4
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Walked past this old house today.  It’s Archway House, Kings Clipstone, in the middle of Sherwood Forest.  Built between 1842 and 1844 using stone from the Duke of Portland’s local quarry.  When the H

You mean like this? https://ibb.co/PcNGSLq A pile of horseshoes outside the old smithy in Scarrington

If you want a spectacular view, turn right about half a mile after leaving Thurgarton towards Southwell on the A612. Stop at the top of Highcross Hill and you can see both Southwell Minster and Lincol

If you want a spectacular view, turn right about half a mile after leaving Thurgarton towards Southwell on the A612. Stop at the top of Highcross Hill and you can see both Southwell Minster and Lincoln Cathedral, Newark, the sailing lakes at Hoveringham and the Vales of Trent and Belvoir. One of the finest panoramas in the County spoilt only by the sight of wind farms and Staythorpe power station.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Correct, it's called Linby dock for reasons nobody can be sure of. The Germans seeing the name on a map assumed it had some strategic value and tried to bomb it. They missed, the bombs landing in a nearby field. The infamous Lord HawHaw mentioned it in one of his broadcasts.

25 minutes ago, Brew said:

mHow many know of this? An ancient Druid stone:

Sorry to disappoint you Brew but there is very little evidence to indicate it was ever used by Druids. it is a glacial deposit, a conglomeration of sand, pebbles and limestone. The hole in the middle is manmade and there is another local name for it  "The Altar Stone" so who knows.

The Hemlock Stone at Bramcote and Bobs Rock at Stapleford have other legends attached to them

• Like 1

Retford market held on Thursdays and Saturdays, nice relaxing walk and some nice little cafes,only £1.90 to park your car for four hours

Retford_(5).jpg

Rog

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Brew said:

Correct, it's called Linby dock for reasons nobody can be sure of.

It's Main Street in Linby just down from the Horse and Groom if you carry on down the B6011 it becomes Linby Lane Papplewick and leads to what was one of my favorite pubs, The Griffins Head, it was a Home Brewery house

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Oztalgian said:

the local legend has it that the women of Linby invented the pancake.

So legend would have it Oz though why  pancake I've no idea..

' A local legend claims that the pancake was invented by the women of the village, to celebrate the defeat of Danish invaders who had enslaved them'

https://linby.org.uk/

• Like 1

IMG-20181208-215138.jpg

Will be there again next Dec. Planted a Golden Pear tree, for our 50th anniversary in 2015. B.

• Like 3
54 minutes ago, Brew said:

Two dovecotes - but where are they?

https://ibb.co/3pJnH8f

https://ibb.co/R4nRWSD

The round one is in Sibthorpe. The other one looks like Epperstone. I knew an architect, John Severn decd., who was an expert on the preservation and history of Nottinghamshire dovecotes. I believe he published a book about them.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Oztalgian said:

Can't remember who's beer the Horse and Groom sold or if it was a Free House but I have heard that the local legend has it that the women of Linby invented the pancake. Another first for Notts

The Horse and Groom has been a Free House for at least the last 50 years.  My Gt Aunt and her husband were tenants for 43 years and then my uncle (not their son) took it over and was there for 20+ years. He retired over 30 years ago which is how I know it’s been a Free House for that long.  

Now some know-all will tell me it’s not a Free House now ;)  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

As wonderful and magnificent as stately homes and the like are, it's the tiny relatively unknown treasures that we want to hear about.

Dovecotes and the like, brilliant.

• Like 1