Hidden gems of the Shire.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Walked past this old house today.  It’s Archway House, Kings Clipstone, in the middle of Sherwood Forest.  Built between 1842 and 1844 using stone from the Duke of Portland’s local quarry.  When the H

You mean like this? https://ibb.co/PcNGSLq A pile of horseshoes outside the old smithy in Scarrington

If you want a spectacular view, turn right about half a mile after leaving Thurgarton towards Southwell on the A612. Stop at the top of Highcross Hill and you can see both Southwell Minster and Lincol

The ballroom in the Butter market Newark

IMG00013.jpg

And the ceiling

IMG00014.jpg

Sorry about the picture quality only had an old persons phone

Rog

1 minute ago, philmayfield said:

To be frank I think one stately home is very much like any other. Seen one, seen them all!

It's a hotel Phil.

Beaky, it's not that I don't approve, but it's the little snippets that are tucked away that I fancy hearing about. 

Another little eaterie that I've recently frequented is the Woodberry Tea Rooms, just on the east side of Farnsfield. Superb food and reasonable prices. 

Don't get me wrong folks, I love stately homes and the like. In fact, I've been a National Trust member for my entire adult life, and never tire of the visits I make. 

8 minutes ago, FLY2 said:

Beaky, it's not that I don't approve, but it's the little snippets that are tucked away that I fancy hearing about. 

Another little eaterie that I've recently frequented is the Woodberry Tea Rooms, just on the east side of Farnsfield. Superb food and reasonable prices. 

Unfortunately, before I left Nottingham 30 years ago, didn't have a camera so don't have much info about the area. Next time I come up I'll bring a couple of digital units with me and flood the SD cards with data. Got some crackin' shots of Crich though. Think I'll have a look through my 35mm negatives and see what I can find.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

The round one is in Sibthorpe. The other one looks like Epperstone.

50%, close but no cigar this time sir..

PF has it right..

Claypole,lovely little village,don't think it's ever been mentioned on Nottstalgia

Claypole_Saint_Peters.jpg

Rog

• Like 1

I've been looking for pics of several places I can think of but finding them with permission is proving a tad frustrating..

Is there such a thing as a Flat billy?(It didn't feel all that flat when I was pedalling through the place) anyway, Collingham,nice village with a few pubs,railway station,cricket field and a small shopping precinct

P1050547.jpg

Rog

CRICH, CRICH...... BLEDDY DERBYSHIRE !

3 hours ago, LizzieM said:

The Horse and Groom has been a Free House for at least the last 50 years.  My Gt Aunt and her husband were tenants for 43 years and then my uncle (not their son) took it over and was there for 20+ years. He retired over 30 years ago which is how I know it’s been a Free House for that long.  

Now some know-all will tell me it’s not a Free House now ;)  

Its certainly not free, it was expensive for a pint when I was there a few weeks ago!

1 hour ago, plantfit said:

Are you going to let us into the secret of the Butterfly tree stump Margie?

Rog

It's in Woodthorpe (Grange) Park.  There is at least one other carving, too.   Love that place..... it was my childhood playground, although the 'dell' has been changed to make it more open.  In my day there were stone tunnels and steep rockeries I used to climb up.   It was the perfect place to play hide and seek

• Like 1

Little known delightful places?

One of my favourites, Nuncargate cricket club. Steeped in history of Larwood, and it is very pretty and the cricket club is very active. It helps that there is a wonderful, newly refurbished pub next to the cricket ground. That is a Saturday in summer sorted. What local cricket should be. 

The Blenheim pub at Sellars wood was a delightful place . Sadly now closed down, worked there till I moved in 1987.

There's another very picturesque hidden cricket ground at Thurgarton priory in an idealistic setting. A television company wanted to use it as a setting for a light comedy series about cricket whose name escapes me but at the time it was owned by Boots and was close to where they did research on animals. They didn't want to draw attention to the venue so it was filmed elsewhere in Notts. Perhaps someone can remember the name of the programme. Was it 'Outside Edge' ?