Hidden gems of the Shire.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Walked past this old house today.  It’s Archway House, Kings Clipstone, in the middle of Sherwood Forest.  Built between 1842 and 1844 using stone from the Duke of Portland’s local quarry.  When the H

You mean like this? https://ibb.co/PcNGSLq A pile of horseshoes outside the old smithy in Scarrington

If you want a spectacular view, turn right about half a mile after leaving Thurgarton towards Southwell on the A612. Stop at the top of Highcross Hill and you can see both Southwell Minster and Lincol

13 hours ago, philmayfield said:

It was 'Outside Edge' and was filmed at Thrumpton in 1993. Thanks Google! :biggrin:

Funny that ...... I thought it was filmed at Wollaton.  The pavilion in the programme certainly looked like Wollaton Cricket Club.  

My granny’s house backed onto that ground, she had a gate from her garden and we kids spent a lot of time playing on the field and I’ve got good memories of the annual village show. Do they still have one? 

• Upvote 1
34 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

Funny that ...... I thought it was filmed at Wollaton.  The pavilion in the programme certainly looked like Wollaton Cricket Club.  

My granny’s house backed onto that ground, she had a gate from her garden and we kids spent a lot of time playing on the field and I’ve got good memories of the annual village show. 

The subject has been mentioned before, but I can't find the photo which I thought I'd used. I think this is the road (maybe not completed) and the adjoining cricket field.

LB9cdkR.jpg

• Upvote 1

There's also a loading facility at Laneham on the Trent, but I haven't seen it in use for many a year.

It’s taken me a while to work out your photo CT but now I realise that it shows another part of Wollaton.  My Great Grandparents lived at 16 May Avenue which is shown on this photo taken in 1936, they’d moved there in 1930 from their newsagents shop on Park Road, Lenton.  By 1955 both Gt Grandparents had passed away and my widowed Granny moved into the house with her spinster sister (they bickered like an old married couple but were good company for each other). 

Their house was 6 from the far end of the cul-de-sac on the side facing the village and it was in the corner of the cricket field, which evidently wasn’t even in existence in 1936.  

6081-A26-E-F027-4538-B79-A-81-B46-DCD845

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lizzie, your photo is a wider view of the same location !   

In yours, the three houses at the centre-left are the same as mine at centre-left. (Look at the two distinctive trees to the right of the houses).

Yes I did notice that.  I ended up looking on the Lenton Times website and found that photo, having trawled through Nottstalgia without any luck.  I remembered that Taxi Ray had posted that aerial shot several years ago.   

I appreciate that most stately homes , halls and manor houses appear to be much of a muchness, but over the years, I've visited homes that have been in the same family for over 900 years, a medieval Manor House still lived in, with everything from Jacobean furniture to a Wilkos alarm clock ! Some houses with paintings by the most famous artists in the world. A house in Kent over 800 years old, and renovated in the correct style of previous work.

My favourite, Buckland Abbey in Devon. Home of Sir Francis Drakes family. 

On 4/13/2019 at 4:13 PM, plantfit said:

The ballroom in the Butter market Newark

IMG00013.jpg

And the ceiling

IMG00014.jpg

Sorry about the picture quality only had an old persons phone

Rog

We had lunch in there yesterday. The council have done a great job keeping it open and helping small and start up enterprises to keep the place alive. A little gem :cool: and an example of how councils can and should preserve the heritage of a town. If only Nottingham..........:( Newark is a super place to visit ;)

• Like 3

Walked past this old house today.  It’s Archway House, Kings Clipstone, in the middle of Sherwood Forest.  Built between 1842 and 1844 using stone from the Duke of Portland’s local quarry.  When the Houses of Parliament was burnt down the Duke offered to supply stone for the rebuilding of Parliament but it was declined as it was decided it wasn’t substantial enough. He built this house to prove them wrong.   I was chatting today to a lady who grew up in the house.  She moved there at the age of 2 with her parents, in 1958.  They had no electricity, gas or water. Her father had worked at Rolls Royce and decided they should live ‘The Good Life’, being an only child it was a lonely childhood for her.  She went to school in Edwinstowe on a bike, quite a long way for little legs! 

42-C88-D7-C-A987-4-ACD-A847-AF16-A9972-D

Just along the lane from the house I spotted this, no idea what it is, other than a BORING POSTthumbsup

670-BF104-AE27-43-AF-BAB3-643313-C28-C6-

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Archway House was originally 2 cottages on the ground floor and a schoolroom on the upper floor. It was proposed to build identical gatehouses all around the periphery of the Duke's estate , but ultimately only one was built.

• Upvote 1

Yes I’ve googled info about the property since getting home Notty Ash, it seems he passed away before even this house was completed and consequently the others were never even started.   

Secrets of the National Trust features Southwell Workhorse, currently on CH5, but can be seen at 8 on CH5+1

1 hour ago, FLY2 said:

Secrets of the National Trust features Southwell Workhorse, currently on CH5, but can be seen at 8 on CH5+1

Watched it. Very interesting. Didn't realise it was still operational into the nineties. B.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...

Had a tootle through several North Notts villages yesterday, which are associated with the Pilgrim Fathers. Fascinating, and it is amazing just how far north Nottinghamshire actually extends to. I went up the A614, and then a leisurely drive east of the A1. 

I ended up at Brigg, in North Lincs, and had the most scrummy toffee and fudge cheesecake imaginable. Must return 

I’ve not been around that way for some years. I did go to see the Vulcan, no longer flying, about four years ago at Finningley. I also used to go to Jackson’s at the Rocket Site at Misson. They sell ex military vehicles and it was fascinating to see what exotic equipment you could buy. North Lincs is an interesting and desolate part of the country. Cleethorpes and Grimsby are best avoided but there is an interesting fishing museum in Grimsby.

• Upvote 1

Drove through Misson, and near to Finningley. Cringed at the signs denoting Robin Hood Airport. 

I was pleased to see most villages had recently erected beautiful war memorials.

Cleethorpes and Grimsby Phil great places lots of good memories there,,,

Bus trip with Bestwood youth club about 1959..........tried wooing Anne all the way there,,no luck she loved Mick,,,tried Beryl on the way back,,again no luck,,she loved Ray......even married him,,,still together very sad,,,lol

Dolphin hotel 1970 ish,,stayed every tuesday and wednesday night,,,saw the Gay Barman throw two Fishermen out,,very funny,,,also some great ''Grab a Granny'' nights at the 'Winter Gardens'

Plus i became a Grimsby town supporter,,going to night matches,,,met Laurie McCenemy (sp) remember him?

Used a Barbers there for early morning shave,,,one of his former customers he told me was Duncan McKenzie,,remember him ?

Saw a Southern Comedian thrown out of a Pub half way through his act,,after cracking jokes about Trawlermen,,,

Happy days,,

• Upvote 1
On 4/16/2019 at 8:34 PM, IAN123. said:

Saw lots of these beauties when over..including leaves from last Autumnfly-tipping-in-New-Basford.jpgHidden gem..Basford way.

Told the ex i'll go when i'm ready................

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, FLY2 said:

Drove through Misson, and near to Finningley. Cringed at the signs denoting Robin Hood Airport. 

Most of the locals do too Fly. The full name is Doncaster Sheffield Robin Hood Airport, don’t know why Sheffield had to get their nose in.  Local people wanted it called Finningley Airport (after the RAF base). Those in charge said people wouldn’t know where it was if it was called that. 

Yorkshire is always trying to steal Robin Hood, had many animated discussions about that:angry2:

• Upvote 1