IAN123.

Faith In The Lord.

26 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Getting back to religion we do have a 'sect' in the area called the Riverside Church. They're of the 'happy clappy' persuasion. I do know a few, not personal friends obviously, but they do come over as a bit odd. This seems to be one of the few expanding areas of Christianity.

Your last sentence is true, I think.   There are some churches that have hundreds of people meeting together.  One big church in Cambridge has to have 3 meetings on a Sunday or else there wouldn't be enough room to fit everyone in the building...   this is a mainstream church, not a sect!

We are going to Spring Harvest at Skegness all this week and there will be thousands of people there.   Really looking forward to it.   

Re posting this because I tried earlier and now I can't find it on the thread.  sorry if I've somehow posted it twice and the mods are welcome to delete it.  May want to anyway!

You put your finger on it Phil.   I was not trying to be snotty in the posts above, just responding to what I see as blanket putdowns that serve no useful purposes but to increase animosity.  Lord knows!  this site's seen it's fair share of that in recent days.  Problem as it seems to me is the general idea that it is not ok to discuss religion on this site.  Fine!  I don't like it, but I won't do it out of respect for others on the site who do not want it.  All I ask is the same respect.  Don't snipe at Christians and then hide behind the no religion to be talked about if they respond.  It ain't fair.    :(

Re. C of E.  I'm afraid the local churches are victims of a general climate of disbelief at the top.  Folks at the local level leave. After all why stay in an organization that isn't even sure of what it does believe.   Fewer go into the ministry because they don't know what they really believe.  locals become even more fed up because they have the situation you describe.  The churches close or become mosques.

I would defy most of today's clergy to have a serious debate on apologetics (the art of Biblical defense) because they couldn't do it.  the average Jehovah's witness could tie 'em in knots.   (i am not a JW btw)  If I had to identify as a denominational member I'm a Baptist.  First and foremost I'm a believer and I do know what I believe inluding the why and the Who.

Sorry for the long post but this deserved addressing.

I'm also truly sorry for the way you have been turned off over the years by the behaviour of some who claim Christianity, but deny it by their actions.  Please don't judge the  founder by some who claim to be His disciples.  Judas claimed to be a believer.  He had the others fooled and in the end he betrayed the King of Kings for a few bobs worth of change.

• Like 1

Aye up Dave, are you after doubling up on your posts to get ahead in the 'likes' stakes ? 

• Like 1

My faith has been tested many times in 58 years...i find the way i pray very personal to me.

I started this thread as many around me of late are poorly and Easter really is the only time we are together.

The Christmas period..my kids jet off somewhere warm.Harvest Festivals i still remember and on the Monday i am sure we went to an old folks home and a Childrens Ward and Salvation Army kitchen to give food...late 1960's..could be mistaken.

49 minutes ago, FLY2 said:

Aye up Dave, are you after doubling up on your posts to get ahead in the 'likes' stakes ? 

Looks like it, don't it.

Sorry y'all  I cross posted this not sure how.

It was a long post and the system logged me out.  I save it, logged back in again and pasted and sent, but somehow it must have been in a different thread.  Mia Culpa!

Mods please feel free to delete as you see appropriate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

I think it's on the front otherwise the tea would run down your shirt.

Don't be daft you're holding it upside down!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, loppylugs said:

Don't snipe at Christians and then hide behind the no religion to be talked about if they respond.  It ain't fair.    :(

Agree entirely.  It's exactly the same argument I've made a few times here when people have made politically motivated posts and then invoked the 'no politics' rule when challenged

• Like 3

As for this topic.  I have no faith. 

I fully endorse the rights of all people to believe whatever they wish, so long as they don't try to make me do likewise, but I'm also uncomfortable with the idea that much religious observance is simply acting out a childhood indoctrination.  Actually, I have shades of vaguely Christian thought and spirituality, because I was indocrinated early in my life.. but I do not pursue them.

My position is basically Humanist.  I put my faith in the notion that human beings are essentially rational and cooperative beings.  No supernatural being is going to save us from the damage we have done to our planet.. but cooperative action between rational humans just might.

Of course there are many divisions between rational humans which have no basis in religion and are difficult to overcome.  But then the assorted World religions and their various 'sub cults', aren't exactly renowned for invoking the spirit of cooperation either.

Finally, I am certain that 'faith' cannot be imposed.  This is what ISIS have tried, and failed, to do in the middle east.  They have imposed compliance through fear for a while.. that's all.  Faith, even if shared and celebrated with others of seeming 'like mind'.. can only exist on a personal level.

I'll leave it there.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

My faith has been a rock..not had many rainbows in life...and i find the further i am away from the clutter of 'western living'...the more decent folk be.

Not searching meself...but i can see what the Monk was getting at back in '75.

Quote...." Faith cannot be imposed"

Quite right, it can't and those who try end up getting people of faith disliked.

I believe the internet is a very imperfect medium for it and only tends to lead into misunderstanding often accompanied by anger.  seems to me one has to build personal relationships they may give one the opportunity to talk about such things one on one and only after asking the other parties permission to talk about the topic, unless they ask questions first.

There is a place for public evangelism but no one should be co-erced or tricked into attending it should be open and above board.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I wish we could have an open discussion on Brexit without fear of a ban.:biggrin:

That's one post that made me smile.....if only.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DJ360 said:

They have imposed compliance through fear for a while..

The whole of human existence has and is made cohesive by fear. Religion, politics and the rule of law all need and depend on fear to exist and function.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, colly0410 said:

I would have asked the RE teacher

You would have been as well off asking the PE teacher to get the answer to your question,well with the RE teacher we had anyway

Rog

• Like 1

One of the places I worked had a lady who was a “born again Christian”. Lovely lady, I really liked her although the occasional “praise the lord” littered in her speech did set my teeth on edge. I am not a gardener but decided to try and grow some gladioli (spelling?). After much tlc they did grow and flower, I was well chuffed. When I mentioned it at work she said she knew how much I had wanted them to flower and so had prayed for them to. Obviously not the natural way of flowers to grow and all my attention to them but divine intervention. Thanked her politely but did think there were probably more important things to pray about, world peace, end of disease, famine etc. As I said before it is each to their own I don’t impose my beliefs on anyone else (just look back over history, and present day conflicts, and religion is very often the excuse used for them) and expect others to do likewise. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Similar thing here too. In laws had many problems and wishes ,for  each one there was a prayer until one of them had a brain tumor. Everyone spent the entire day in relays in the church praying for her. Fortunately she came through and they said it was their prayers had been heard. But what about the skill of the surgeon? Didn't he enter into it a bit. I don't condone anyone for what they believe in , as long as they DO believe and don't start to convert others.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Love and fear. Kindness and cruelty. Generosity and greed..........all tools of the trade for organised crime, religions and power. I only believe in nature and our place within it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I wish we could have an open discussion on Brexit without fear of a ban.:biggrin:

I wish we could have a ban without the fear of discussion. :laughing:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Brew said:

The whole of human existence has and is made cohesive by fear. Religion, politics and the rule of law all need and depend on fear to exist and function.

It's an interesting point Brew.  However, I suspect that most rational and reasonable people accept the need for Law and don't fear it so much as respect it.  Politics is always going to exist, because it's simply any process by which we determine who gets what. Religion can be completely separate from politics (and largely Law), but can also be used by those who seek power and control.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

This is getting too heavy for me. Gonna look for another thread.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, plantfit said:

You would have been as well off asking the PE teacher to get the answer to your question,well with the RE teacher we had anyway

Rog

The one that gets me is where Lots wife gets turned into salt for looking back at Sodom. As the human body is mostly water a  fair amount of hydrogen would have had to be transmuted via a thermonuclear reaction into sodium & chlorine, I think there would have been a rather large explosion if this happened...

Was thinking the same myself Colly  slywink

Rog

• Like 1

Ah were right ! Now it's thermonuclear reactions. 

Have I just moved into the Twilight zone?? Or science lesson.

• Like 1