Nottingham Corporation Tramways

Excellent post bambar, does anyone have pride in their job anymore,I know I didn't towards the end of my working life, all the pride that I did have was taken away by the big corporates that took over,all they seem interested in is making money at any cost and the staff they employed were a neccessary liability and expendable, when did that type of insignia start to disappear from the NCT?

Rog

Pride in your work (for me) took a huge hit through technology. What used to done through calculation, experience and negotiation  is now done by pushing a button with certain criteria entered and a ready made list  of materials. costings  and timelines drops in your lap a minute later.

From an employers point it's faster, cheaper and needs only a quite basic understanding.

At the finish engineers were told 'no engineers are required, we only need  technicians' the difference being the size of the salary.

I was disgusted when they introduced an 80/20 rule. so long as 80% of the jobs went to plan then that was acceptable.

• Like 1

Exactly Brew, such a shame that pride in ones job has been lost,look at all the old films about British workers and the words quality and pride are in more or less every sentence,all but gone thanks to greed and lack of interest in the employees

Rog

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

I have just read the info in the link in the first post but unfortunately it doesn't answer my question. I am wanting information as to what the colour schemes were for Nottingham Corporation trams and for that matter trolley buses in the 1930's. I am tempted to think that they were not green and and cream but brown or maroon and cream. I would also be interested to know the colour schemes for Notts and Derby Traction trams were in the 1930s and did they have trollies then? I don't think they were blue and cream.  Looking at a retirement project to build a model railway in the loft - and no I aint retired yet  :(

Could Crich tramway help with your enquiries Pianoman?

Sounds an exciting project in your loft. Why not a model tramway?

I believe the first generation of trams were indeed maroon and cream. I've seen reference to it but can't find it at the moment. It doesn't help that colour photography was almost non-existent back then, so there's likely to be very little evidence apart from the written word.

This is a b/w photo which was artificially coloured at the time, but I assume it's a reasonable attempt at the correct colours.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nottingham_Corporation_Tramways#/media/File:Long_Row,_Nottingham_circa_1910.JPG

Thanks for all the info folks. As the planned railway is to be set just pre war ( with some licence) I am pleased to say that I can forget trams. Now I know what type of trolley buses for NCT and NDT and what the colour schemes were.

• 1 year later...
On 8/12/2021 at 6:29 PM, The Pianoman said:

I have just read the info in the link in the first post but unfortunately it doesn't answer my question. I am wanting information as to what the colour schemes were for Nottingham Corporation trams and for that matter trolley buses in the 1930's. I am tempted to think that they were not green and and cream but brown or maroon and cream. I would also be interested to know the colour schemes for Notts and Derby Traction trams were in the 1930s and did they have trollies then? I don't think they were blue and cream.  Looking at a retirement project to build a model railway in the loft - and no I aint retired yet  :(

To resurrect an old post and you probably found the answer to your question but here is a model of a Nottingham Corporation tram in the correct colours

DSCF1703_(2).jpg

Rog

4 hours ago, The Pianoman said:

Pleased you have posted that. I have found this one on Feepay. This one appears to be a brighter red

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234750525507

I think mine was EFE 1/76 scale,colours vary from different manufacturers,  are you going to buy that one at 23 quid?

Rog

• Like 1