When is a post not a post ?

Let's have some Easter fun !  

So, when does a stake become a post, or vice versa ? Or a stick become a stake. When is a twig not a twig ? When does it become a bough, or a branch ? When cut down, why does a branch become a log ?

This arose, because I read where a woman walking her dog, was reprimanded by a landowner for removing a 'log' from a pathway through his land.

He said she was stealing, but she reckoned that it was a twig, as the dog was carrying it in its mouth ! 

Any ideas...... Yeah, loads I bet !

• 2 weeks later...

Surely a stake is only a stake when it is used to stake something, either to hold it up.. as with a tree, or to put a hole in it, as with a Vampire's heart.

In all other cases surely it's just a sharp stick, which could be used as  post, or as a pointy thing. 

Alternatively, it could be a staff or a stave. 

And the post above the post above  is a very short post.  Possibly the shortest post possible.  :)

3 minutes ago, FLY2 said:

Alternatively, it could be a staff or a stave. 

It could.  Good point.. and a stick needs a good point.

So does a pale.

..or a pole..

• Upvote 1

A First Class post.

• Like 1

It had to be.. there was a lot at stake... 

What is this nonsense? You'll be telling me next that a boomerang that doesn't come back is just a stick and that picket fences are not made from pickets?

I wooden want to disagree Brew!

I'll picket up from here..

I saw dust what was happening from the start, twigged immediately and was determined not to bark up the wrong tree.

I'm determined not to be stumped by this and won't try to ply you with a veneer, or skirt around it.. however knotty...

You deserve a plane answer...

Oak Eh?

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Oh dear that really goes against the grain, you'll be starting a splinter group next and opening branches everywhere. I bet you're a Forest supporter too

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

OK Bud...  You conkered me.. I feel a proper plank.  No good me railing... and lumbering on.. I'll log off.. :biggrin:

• Like 2

You wooden believe it ! Back when I were a ranger at Holme Pierrpont, we planted some young saplings and used willow stakes for support . Lo and behold, the saplings died but the stakes all sprouted ! We created a lovely Willow wind break.:Shock:

• Like 2
5 hours ago, DJ360 said:

OK Bud...  You conkered me.. I feel a proper plank.  No good me railing... and lumbering on.. I'll log off.. :biggrin:

Aha I saw what you did there, you nailed it and I think I may be screwed but I wood never ash yew to leaf - you're way too poplar.

• Like 3