Harry Wheatcroft and Gedling

I just looked at my old house at 3 Hardys Drive, on google street maps.  Ours is the little one with the red door and an entry between us and the house we thought belonged to the Wheatcroft family. It is a large black and white timbered house and if you can google it from the front you will see above the door the name Wheatcroft? I was about 10/11 when we moved, so not really interested in who lived there. As neighbours we didn't really see them, but I remember the people being friendly enough.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have always wanted to come back to Gedling, and though I would be very happy in the Hardys Drive house, I would not want the shared courtyard, which our neighbours had to use via the entry to get to

Hello. New member here. Grew up in Gedling, lived at Hardys Drive (the rose grower, Harry Wheatcrofts family home). Also lived in Balloon Wood flats and also the 'gate house' on Llanberis Grove.

Col, my Dad was a rose grower too, taking cuttings from the local rose fields, worried that he’d get nicked for doing it.  Very law-abiding was my Dad.  We had clay soil ‘up Arnold’, it was rubbish fo

I have always wanted to come back to Gedling, and though I would be very happy in the Hardys Drive house, I would not want the shared courtyard, which our neighbours had to use via the entry to get to the back of their  house . Our needs were few in those days and money was very scarce but as kids did, we enjoyed what we had without question. Hardys Drive now  is nothing like the one of my childhood, but a great location for the village. If my Children (Both in their 50s) would up sticks and come with us, I would be there like a shot.:biggrin:

PS  Sorry Margie, I strayed a bit.   Yes, when I saw the for sale sign, it did make me yearn a little.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Would you be tempted to move back to Woodthorpe Margie? Not the place it was back in the 50’s. I’ve lived in the Trent Valley since 1962 and although there’s not much excitement out here I do like the open space. I meet friends both from Mapperley and Woodthorpe in one of the local pubs weekly and they prefer to drive out here rather than meeting at the Plainsman. They’ve been coming in this direction on a Monday evening for almost 40 years. They do like the convenience of walking to the end of their roads and being able to catch a bus into town though and having all the nearby facilities, whereas we have little or none within walking distance.

2 hours ago, carni said:

I just looked at my old house at 3 Hardys Drive, on google street maps.  Ours is the little one with the red door and an entry between us and the house we thought belonged to the Wheatcroft family. It is a large black and white timbered house and if you can google it from the front you will see above the door the name Wheatcroft? 

Took me a while to identify it. A fairly elaborate script and the name is turned into two words.

6XucDL8.jpg

• Like 1

@philmayfield. Like Carni says... if all our family moved to Woodthorpe with us, then yes, I would!  Although it probably wouldn't be practical as I've got used to the flatter terrain round here...  I certainly wouldn't move if none of our family came with us.   The parts of Woodthorpe I was most fond of haven't changed that much.... except for the fields and brickyards, and I wouldn't be going there anyway!   I often look on rightmove to see if our old house is up for sale.   If some of our family bought that and we could move in with them, that would be perfect, but all their friends and work are based here.    I've accepted that we'll probably stay here until.... ....and that's OK.  We can still visit the old places for now.  

I pass through Woodthorpe regularly mainly along Arno Vale Rd. and the old school. I've never been there since the day I left and I only went back to Mellish at the closing down ceremony prior to its demolition. Living there in the 50's it was just a short walk into open countryside where we spent much of our time as kids. All those fields are now housing estates. I would never go back.

• Upvote 1

We are just about to leave for Nottingham - going to a presentation of 'Old Gedling' at Carlton-le-Willows this evening..  Looking forward to being in my old school again, as well as the pictures of old Gedling

• Like 1
3 hours ago, MargieH said:

We are just about to leave for Nottingham - going to a presentation of 'Old Gedling' at Carlton-le-Willows this evening..  Looking forward to being in my old school again, as well as the pictures of old Gedling

Me too. It will be the first time I’ll have walked through those doors in 46 years!

• Like 1

No idea what you look like, Rob,  but hope we'll come across one another!   Last time I went to the school was a reunion over 20 years ago.   I left there in 1960 when I was 17.   

3 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I know nothing of Carlton le Willows other than the cross country matches we had there. They had a magnificent rural course, much better than running round Bulwell Common!

You may have missed out on more than a decent cross country course at CleWs.... the teachers at  the time we were there were really good, and many of them friendly too.  And there were GIRLS,  Phil - you didn't see many of them at the Mellish.  We could have sat together on the bus to school.... you could have carried my satchel and I could have shared my Domestic Science creations with you on the way home!

You  missed out there, Phil...

Most of the teachers at Mellish were old and stuffy. I don’t recollect much friendliness. Many had done war service and we were treated like the erks they were in charge of during wartime. As for girls, we did have a 6th form dancing society with Brincliffe on a Friday evening. I only went once! The dancing mistress had to take me in hand (no double entendre intended) and show me how to do it. :biggrin:

49 minutes ago, MargieH said:

We could have sat together on the bus to school.... you could have carried my satchel and I could have shared my Domestic Science creations with you on the way home!

You  missed out there, Phil...

Oh be still my jealous  foolish heart....

• Like 1

Margie and RobL. To find each other you'd better wear a carnation in your buttonhole and carry a rolled up newspaper under your arm. Done!

• Upvote 1
24 minutes ago, katyjay said:

Margie and RobL. To find each other you'd better wear a carnation in your buttonhole and carry a rolled up newspaper under your arm. Done!

I know them both, leave it to me! 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, MargieH said:

you could have carried my satchel and I could have shared my Domestic Science creations with you on the way home!

If you'd shared mine Mr Mayfield, your life would probably have been much shorter than it has been!:blink:

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Martin Lock said:

My dad named it Wheatcroft after doing a bit of research

Hi Martin, You have got me intrigued now. It would be interesting to know if there is a connection to the Wheatcroft family. I have got no idea. Did it have the name above the door when you lived there. Also, could there be a family connection, perhaps not the man himself, maybe a relation? 

From memory, my dad had an enscrowled name plate made.

Reckoned one of the garages was absolutely choc full of plant pots when we moved in.

Not sure if the house had a cellar but he said there was one that had been filled in.

I'll ask him about it later in the week.

One thing I do remember is our phone landline was a partyline. (Is that what they were called?)  Sometimes you could pick the receiver up and hear certain neighbours in conversation on their phones. But they could hear me pick our phone up.

Is that how they used to work??

• Like 1

No idea Martin, It wouldn't have been us on the other end of the party line as  I'm afraid we weren't well off enough to own a phone until we had moved from Hardys Drive, late 50s In fact it was mid 1960s before my parents had a phone, and by that time I'd left Nottm. Keep digging, it is interesting to hear about the house.