I see they've set up camp near me (j26 of the m1).

It's all over the news. I've not really got an opinion on it, so long as they don't stray onto all the neighbouring estates.

They do seem to find odd bits of land to park on until the police or council manage to get some court order to evict them. I'm sure everyone has had some sort of experience with these people in the past.

I passed the site twice today, and it's far more than a small piece of land. It looks like several fields. The landowners reckon they've not given them permission, whilst a travellers spokesman reckons they have. Very strange.

I hope the reg's of the cars and trucks have been noted by the authorities !

Good point. By the way, the residence on Bestwood rd near moor bridge, I'm a bit ignorant to the difference of gypsies/travellers or just Irish tradesmen living in parks, but what is the set up there?

Especially the huge house that was built only a few years ago. Is everything legal there I wonder.

The Moorbridge site is just down the road from me, and whereas it was caravans several years ago, it's got modern things there.  I often wonder about the big house, but the other structures resemble chalet type homes. I presume they're occupied by aging ex travellers.

I'll have a good look the next time I go to Hucknall tip. 

I regard myself as a pretty tolerant person, but I have never known a single instance of 'Travellers' turning up anywhere here, (Merseyside) without leaving mountains of rubbish behind them. 

A few years ago, my brother and I took my two daughters close to the Moorbridge site.  We wanted to show them the remains of the old Moorbridge, so we walked along what was the original approach to the bridge, just to the left of Moorbridge Cottages...and to the right of the Traveller settlement.

Within seconds we were greeted by several 'gentlemen' who asked us 'What have you lost'.  In other words, they thought, that we thought, that they had 'nicked' something.  I told them that we were there to look at the old bridge.  They clearly had no clue what I was talking about... but backed off.

• Upvote 1

We get a couple of traditional gypsy caravans (horse drawn) park up next to the village pond each year, very friendly people if you get talking to them, have a cuppa and a natter,they don't half cover some milage on their travels, next stop after our village is Coddington then through Newark and down south from there

Rog

Mrs Flys mum and her parents were travellers, who had a wooden horse drawn caravan. They were itinerant farm labourers mainly from the Rotherham area of S Yorkshire.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

We've got a wooden horse on our cycle/footpath, fly

October_13_ride_(3).jpg

Sorry fly,I knew what you meant it's just me being stupid

Rog

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Well they'll have had a right good soaking this wet weekend, so I don't suppose they'll be returning here again !

I take it from a lot of the comments about this traditional fair that the  gypsies/travellers are not welcome, yet Nottingham welcomes with open arms the traditional Goose fair where visitors have to put up with "purse dippers" be "conned into buying stuff that falls apart as soon as you get it home" "muggings" "prostitutes" "vehicle vandalism" etc,funny old world intit?

Rog

• Like 2

I doubt anyone will have a problem if it really is a traditional fair 'ala Goose fair.

If it's a traditional let's roaring drunk and smash the pub up, burgle and steal anything not actually nailed down, race horses up and down the public roads, threaten anyone with the temerity to object  then yes I think it safe to say they are not welcome.

Let's see Goose fair, organised, authorised, crime quite low for such a large event and a good time had by all.

J26 fair - I would think the police have access to more information than Joe Public and their advice to businesses and residents - be alert, lock up and stay shut...

• Upvote 3

Aaah but that's in Derbyshire.  News of the invention of the internal combustion engine hasn't arrived there yet :)

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Let's just see if the site is cleaned up before they depart

It takes Nottingham city council nearly a week to clear the Forest of rubbish after the Goose fair

Rog

2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Let's just see if the site is cleaned up before they depart. That will show whether they're responsible members of the community. I reserve my judgement.

If they turn out to be so then I'll readily say 'welcome and come again'..

• Like 1

Yes, they’re of the same ilk. Presumably the litter problem, should there be one, will have to be sorted by the landowner and not the taxpayer. I hope they leave the site clean and tidy and that they will be welcomed back next year when the pubs and shops will be open and local businesses with thrive on their patronage. 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Enigma. said:

But Langley Mill comes under NG16 postcode though  :) 

Yes it does. Long Eaton is NG10 but that is also in Derbyshire.  :laugh: