Hello Everyone,

Just to say that even though i dont post very often i love coming on this forum.

As some of you know my hubbie and I moved back 3 weeks ago after living in France for 13 years ago. But unfortunately we arent staying thumbsdown . Hubbie has had a great job offer back in France !tanning! and we just havent been able to settle here.

we have loved visting places, but dont think we could live here for good. I think that Nottingham has changed and more importantly we have.

But thanks guys for all your advice and help.

B)

Tracey

• Upvote 1

Stay in touch.

Sorry it didnt work out for you. You are fortunate to have the choice and have experienced both sides.

Take care, and keep us posted.

We may need to 'seek asylum' in future.

Hello Darcy

I think you have made the right decision. Even though it's summer,you obviously didn't look at Nottm through rose tinted specs. I love Nottm can't wait to visit,it's where I was born & where my family live,but it's oh so nice to come home . Good luck in whatever you do . What do your family think of your decision darcy,are they very upset?? :Friends:

Thanks Guys,

We have been very lucky to have at least experience this and have a choice, and even better, we have the support of all our family. They will miss our daughter, but all said that we were "bloody mad" for even thinking we would live here. Bless em.

Anyway thanks again, and will keep on here as we always have a fair old giggle when reading the posts. Really would like to join the BIP and Ilkoad fan club.

Ta chucks

Tracey ;)

• 9 years later...

I think we adapt to where we are. What I mean by that is that while we may still have warm feelings for a place where we had many good experiences it is never the same when we go back. Eg. When we emigrated we lived in Toronto for four years. Didn't like it all that much at first but we gradually adjusted to it. By the time we moved West we quite liked it. For a big city it was really good and quite safe to be downtown at night.

Went back there two years ago while visiting Niagara Falls. Toronto had grown so much and swallowed up small towns to the North. Traffic seem to be jammed 24/7. I was quite glad to leave and would not live there now. Our fond memories tend to make us forget why we left in the first place.

Somebody (don't know who) said, " You can never go back." I think they were right.

• Upvote 1

That's what we thought too Ian, no, seriously, only joking.

I won't finish with LOL, as I appreciate that some people find it insincere.

I used to be that way after we started flying back for trips to see the in laws, Ian.

Had bad dreams about the airlines going on strike or something so that we could never get back to Canada. I didn't relax until we were climbing out of Heathrow.

Sorry all Nottstalgians. I still have very warm thoughts of Nottingham. Like I said WE change.

• Upvote 3

ANTOINETTE here Fly in reply to Your comment on my husbands post.. On reading it I find it a little hurtful.especially as you said you were only joking,his trips to Nottingham are one of the highlights of his year

And I am being sincere in this Comment

Ive lived in City's,Towns,Villages,old estates,Modern estates,......and all have things in their favour and drawbacks,.....ideally what i'd like is a country retreat and an apartment in the City...........aint gonna happen can't afford it,..........but i live in hopes of one of my Sons buying in Spain,and for 6 months of the year i would be a burden to him,just hate the winter now,......so from October to March it would be .......sorry Nottingham but 'asta la vista baby'............lol.

Spain? Nah, you need to try out Georgia, Ben. Summers unpleasantly hot and humid, but you can retreat into the air conditioning. Fall, winter and spring quite pleasant not unlike England, but less damp and more sunshine. Cost of living not too bad. You can still find a nice three bedroom house for $130.000. Approx £ 75.000. Petrol, currently $1.45 a gallon. Groceries for two for two weeks approx £ 120. +\- and we eat quite well. No junk food. Plenty of room. Roads are not too crowded unless you choose to live in Atlanta. (I wouldn't do that, but lots do)

You know what? I'm liking it better the more I write about it!

• Upvote 1

I'd love to come 'Marching thru Georgia' Loppy,but they speak a kind of English don't they,...........and being fluent in Spanish it would seem such a waste,..........comprendo amigo ?............lol.

Mrs Catfan's Uncle & Aunt used to spend five months through winter, in Tennerife cos the warmer climate suited them, both have arthritis.

Two years ago her uncle whilst here was seriously ill & their opinion is that he would not have survived in Tennerife.

God bless the NHS, always worth considering when living abroad.

• Upvote 4

Yes Mick,the climate in Southern Spain and the Canary islands is def.a benefit to Arthritus sufferers,Donna is a different woman when we over there,funny thing is she likes 2 weeks but would'nt consider 6 months.............suppose i'd have to manage by mesen..........lol.

Sorry Antoinette, wasn't meant to be offensive. Seriously.

Thousands of Brits consider moving to warmer climes as they get older and my husband and I are no exception. Sunshine and warmth are great when your bones are getting on a bit and certain medical problems, particularly arthritis, are relieved somewhat in warmer weather. However, as you say Catfan, it's a lot better to be here to benefit from our NHS, and we are particularly lucky here in Nottingham to have two really good hospitals.

A few years ago, when we had a home in Miami, my husband took ill and ended up in Mt Sinai Hospital for 3 nights, he had numerous tests, several doctors surrounding his bed while tests were undertaken. Verdict was that he had Vertigo, but they had suspected a stroke initially. The cost of these tests and nights in hospital ....... $27,000 !!!

• Upvote 5

Hopefully he's fine now Lizzie.

You hit on one of this countries major problems, Lizzie.

Healthcare and the insurance you need is a major expense. It gets a bit better once you turn 65 and are covered by medicare. That pays the bulk of the bills, but I still have a supplementary insurance as well. It covers some of the stuff that medicare doesn't like teeth and optical.

For a country that put men on the moon it is not great. I don't know how middle aged families do it unless they have insurance through their work.

So called Obamacare seems to be a maze of rules and then they try to fine you if you don't have coverage.

Canadian system is much better.

• Upvote 2