Out and about with Compo

Here are a few photos of our walk along the clifftops between Freswick and Duncansby Head in north east Caithness last Friday. The day began foggy with a sea fret or Haar covering the coast but as the day progressed the mist rolled abck and the sun shone. alas, the wind also had its say and at one point we were walking at an angle of about 45° into it!  It was a great walk and saw not a soul all morning. Walk time 3hrs 10mins including a short snack break at the photo labelled "A nice place  for a picnic".

• Like 3
  • Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Out and about in central Sutherland at Forsinard, Garvault and Syre:       Ben Klibreck     Hills around Garvault     Red Deer

Last Thursday saw us off on yet another coastal section of the John O'Groats trail. At the end of our walk we went to the little café in Berriedale, where we met a young girl from New Zealand who was

I wonder if you can see this one, Brew?   Warkworth Castle on a fine November afternoon (2-11-2019)        

10 minutes ago, Beekay said:

Didn't see you waving Margie, when we drove by on Saturday. Where woz ya ? B.

ps.Still got me rubber brick in back of me car.  smile2

Told you already BK.... the nearest you'd  have got to us was 15 or so miles away!    I hope you're enjoying your time in Norfolk anyway.   

I know you told me Margie, but  you cannot be sure which way I came, once I reached the A11/A14 junction. Might have nipped round on me bike. :Friends:

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Beekay said:

I know you told me Margie, but  you cannot be sure which way I came, once I reached the A11/A14 junction. Might have nipped round on me bike. :Friends:

The Village Facebook  vigilantes would have tracked the progress of a strange man on a bike carrying a rubber brick, so you wouldn't have got very far...  We have a good network to relay information in this, and the surrounding villages.   Very useful for finding lost pets, keeping track of unacceptable behaviour on the rec or shaming people who have parked on double yellow lines by photographing the offending vehicles.

Big Brother has certainly arrived here, but if you're not being naughty,  it's quite a positive thing...

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a link to a walk I did last Thursday. There are captions on each individual photo. It is on the Canon Irista hosting site so it might work for everyone - fingers crossed!

A walk over the hills of Torrisdale on the north coast of Scotland.

• Like 7

Hiya Paul, what can you tell me about Canon Irista ? Never heard of it before. 19 Beautiful pictures of a beautiful area !  B.thumbsup

• Like 2

Good pics Compo but you're as bad as Plantfit, I'm knackered just thinking about it.

• Like 1

Beekay: Canon Irista is the Canon camera photo hosting site. It comes with 15GB of free photo space.  Works the same as most others.  This link to an article in "The Telegraph" tells you what you need to know:

Canon Irista

• Like 1
On 5/13/2019 at 11:29 PM, IAN123. said:

Paul: frank and i might join you for a stroll!

Ok, so long as you don't bring Fat Freddy's cat! :biggrin:

• Like 2

Living in the north of Scotland occasionally has its advantages :)

• Like 1
On 5/19/2019 at 11:52 AM, Beekay said:

But how far is the nearest chip shop ? :hungr:

Beekay: The nearest chip shop where you can get a fish & chips takeaway at under £8.50 is in England! By and large, Scottish chip shops are robbing b'stards.

Can't help but notice the same picture is doubled with a quote and nobody says a word. But when I did it with Nonna's granddaughter, I was criticised, and it removed. Just saying.

Brilliant PIC though Compo. I thought I had problems with an 18 mile round trip for a bag o chips!

• Like 1
Just now, Compo said:

Not guilty, Beekay! 

I know it's not you Paul. I quite look forward to seeing your views. Often thought I might reciprocate with beautiful views in East Sussex, but held back because they're not Nottingham related.

Great Skua PIC ! I'm beginning to think you've got 'em all stuffed and stuck on poles.  thumbsup

• Like 2

There's plenty of Poles up here Beekay but not the type you mean :biggrin: Only joking.  I woud love to see some Sussex views and I'm sure others would too.  I started this thread some time ago to give a bit of a broader view of things instead of everything being totally Notts based. I'm sure others would also welcome your home area pictures.

• Like 1

I have just caught up with all of the photos and they are stunning. Living in a built up area on the outskirts of a small city, it is hard to imagine what life must be like living in such beautiful surroundings. I don't know if it would be too remote for me, even though I do enjoy being on my own, I certainly would like to spend some time up there. Wonderful Photos, Thank you Compo and others for sharing with us.:)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Compo said:

Beekay: The nearest chip shop where you can get a fish & chips takeaway at under £8.50 is in England! By and large, Scottish chip shops are robbing b'stards.

Just because the spuds are called Maris Piper doesn’t make them Scottish. Then there’s the fine English  cod. It costs a fortune to send proper food to the barren north. Let them eat porridge - that’s probably made in England as well!:biggrin:

• Like 2

You can't beat Cod and Chips open (Not to go!) with salt and vinegar.

• Like 1