Out and about with Compo

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Out and about in central Sutherland at Forsinard, Garvault and Syre:       Ben Klibreck     Hills around Garvault     Red Deer

Last Thursday saw us off on yet another coastal section of the John O'Groats trail. At the end of our walk we went to the little café in Berriedale, where we met a young girl from New Zealand who was

I wonder if you can see this one, Brew?   Warkworth Castle on a fine November afternoon (2-11-2019)        

19 minutes ago, Compo said:

Cod and Chips

Thats what I'm having tonight,from the chip van down the next village  mmmmmmmm

Rog

• Like 1

Our weekly chip van disappeared years ago. There’s one that parks at the Southwell Co Op each Tuesday but the chips were soft, inedible rubbish and had to be thrown away. The problem is that chips don’t travel well. By the time you get them home, even driving at breakneck speed, they’ve gone soft. I like chip shops with a dining room but there’s none in these parts sadly.:(

• Like 1

same here Phil although Bassingham is only a couple of miles away it's not too bad,the nearest chippy would be Navenby six miles so the Tuesday night van is the best option

Rog

• Like 1

I’ve been to the Navenby chippy and I remember it was rather good last time. Our nearest is the Chinese chippy in Southwell but during the four mile drive home the chips go soft. The best solution is to eat them in the market place just over the road but it looks a bit ostentatious laying a tablecloth and buttering bread!

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I like chip shops with a dining room but there’s none in these parts sadly.:(

Stopped at a chip shop with a so-called dining room the other day in Alness, Easter Rosshire. They charged £21 for a basic fish tea for two. That's fish, chips and peas with one slightly stale slice of bread buttered by themselves and a small mug of tea with milk added also by themselves. Condiments consisted of salt and vinegar - no pepper.  If you wanted sauces including tartare sauce it was extra! The food was presented in a plain, compressed paper dish and arrived about five minutes after the tea. It was a complete rip-off but sadly, not unusual for Scotland.

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

Is that made from grass clippings BK?:biggrin:

Only the best Phil., only the best. Square cut and fit on your rolls beautifully, with bits to nibble at round the edges !!

• Like 1

Certainly tastes like it!

Edit. Supposed to be a response to Phil's comment about lorne sausage and grass clippings, but didn't realise that post was at the bottom of the previous page, so loses it's impact somewhat now it's out of place !!

20 minutes ago, Compo said:

Stopped at a chip shop with a so-called dining room the other day in Alness, Easter Rosshire. They charged £21 for a basic fish tea for two. That's fish, chips and peas with one slightly stale slice of bread buttered by themselves and a small mug of tea with milk added also by themselves. Condiments consisted of salt and vinegar - no pepper.  If you wanted sauces including tartare sauce it was extra! The food was presented in a plain, compressed paper dish and arrived about five minutes after the tea. It was a complete rip-off but sadly, not unusual for Scotland.

I’ve been going to Scotland both on business and pleasure since the early 60’s. Way back then the food was dreadful and they seemed to live on chips. Over the years it has much improved, certainly on the west coast where we stay. The best food though is fresh crab or lobster bought on the quayside at Oban and taken back to the cottage where I ‘expertly’ prepare it. I doubt fine cuisine has moved to the very far north as very few potential regular customers live there. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Commo said:

Certainly tastes like it!

Edit. Supposed to be a response to Phil's comment about lorne sausage and grass clippings, but didn't realise that post was at the bottom of the previous page, so loses it's impact somewhat now it's out of place !!

It’s fine Compo. I appreciated the subtleness of your irony!

• Like 1

Had a lovely fish n chips at Mallaig after a journey from Fort William on the Jacobean train. Another occasion, called in a shop in Bodmin and the lady asked if we would like a slice of bread n butter?, we said yes please and i kid you not ! ,she brought a pile of fourteen slices !! Between two of us. Well Honestly !!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

Square cut! So actually it’s made from turf.:biggrin:

Can't beat Lorne sausage and turf salad !!:tease:

I’ve had fish and chips in Mallaig and a pint of prawns. I once took the ferry from there over the sea to Skye and came back via the bridge. I do like the west coast. You can take the little ferry over to the Knoydart peninsular which is almost inaccessible by road. The boarding house there used to be kept by aNottingham couple.

I do remember the chip shop was near the dock and I remember having to go up some steps to get to it. Was told in the queue that it was a favourite chippy. Saw the CalMac ferry come in but never knew it came from Skye. Know bugger all me !

A nice Cal Mac voyage, which takes about two hours is from Kennacraig at the top of the Mull of Kintyre over to Port Ellen on the isle of Isla. Isla is a bit barren but there are at least 8 distilleries and it takes a day to visit them all. I got 8 miniatures and 8 quaiches but never drank a drop until we got back to the cottage. I used to like the Isla malts but now find them a bit medicinal tasting. I'm looking for something more mellow now.

• Like 1

I've mentioned it before on the site but I once flew in formation with the BBMF. I was flying a Cherokee from Skegness to Nottingham one Saturday afternoon when I called Conningsby on the radio and they informed me the BBMF had just taken off - and there they were, just 400M away. They were much faster than my 95 knots so they rapidly disappeared and there were no mobile phone cameras back then to capture the moment. It was fantastic experience for just a few brief minutes.

• Like 1