Out and about with Compo

1 minute ago, philmayfield said:

Battle of Britain Memorial Flight.

Thank you !

One of my neighbours, bless her often tells us about going outside to watch the actual battle of the skies at that time.

She was only a young girl but can remember it vividly. The crazy number of aircraft chasing each other in such a small area. And of course, the noise, the guns, the engines etc..

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Out and about in central Sutherland at Forsinard, Garvault and Syre:       Ben Klibreck     Hills around Garvault     Red Deer

Last Thursday saw us off on yet another coastal section of the John O'Groats trail. At the end of our walk we went to the little café in Berriedale, where we met a young girl from New Zealand who was

I wonder if you can see this one, Brew?   Warkworth Castle on a fine November afternoon (2-11-2019)        

So you were a pilot as well Phil., there are some clever bods on here. I feel I'm walking with Giants.

It was an ambition I worked hard to fulfill. I once wanted to do it professionally but failed the eyesight test. To be a private pilot it's less onerous as long as you carry a spare pair of specs! I've often thought about doing a licence renewal but would I pass the medical now!

• Like 1

you don't know until you try Phil,life's too short to keep thinking " often thought about it" just do it

Rog

Fair enough Phil,at least you know when to quit, some others don't, to their cost unforunately

Rog

1 hour ago, Beekay said:

So you were a pilot as well Phil., there are some clever bods on here. I feel I'm walking with Giants.

You're not walking with Giants when I'm around BK!  I'm only 5' 2" and getting shorter by the year!

there's a talk next month at teheCastlehill centre about eleven miles from me. It's being given by a 98yr old former WWII bomber pilot. He has asked that the centrwe video hiss talk because he fears he may not be able to continue giveng it much longer.  Looking forward to it!

• Like 1

Good idea,we ahave lost so many of these hero's memories because they weren't documented, are you doing the recording Compo

Rog

It's one of those occasions where if I didn't live so far away I would be round there in a flash, with my video camera and tripod. We need to save these memories before theyr'e all lost to history. Good on ya Compo !

• Like 2

Hi Rog do you ever go to  Bruntingthorpe air field our friend would be there each Sunday if you do not know about it, Well it's some chaps who meet and restore old Planes ( engines and body) once our friend brought a fuselage and had it at side of his house. Do you remember the Rolls Royce Spitfire that crashed at one of the air shows (pilot error) well the the lads at Bruntingthorpe looked after this one. I see you live in Lincs did you ever go to Scampton air base and go in the "LANC" that used to stand on the grass before the entrance. 

I have been in the "LANC" that use to stand out  side   the main gate. What amazed me was what little room there was in side  the plane, i'm glad i never had to fly in it.

• Like 1

Hi Mary,I know about Bruntingthorpe a mate of mine is a member of some club there but as yet I've not been over, I've been to Scampton a few times,the Dambusters hangars and offices,I'll put some photo's on in a bit, the lanc you spoke of is I think the "Just Jane" Lanc at East Kirkby,more photo's to put on for you,thanks for the interest

Rog

Hi Rog thanks for feedback spent many a weekend in the Sargant's Mess. Please don't take it the wrong way it was my brother that was in the RAF and as a family we would visit most weekends. 

Bruntingthorpe  it was friends of ours  who worked on the restoration of the planes that they had there, one named Vic used to work at Rolls Royce and he helped restore the Spitfire. The other friend Malc has sadly passed away.

Have you seen all the houses that are now being built on Rolls Royce test beds at Hucknall?

• Like 1

Saw a large building site there the other week when I drove passed Mary,thats progress and people do need somewhere to live, before any groundworks start though archaelogical surveys have to be carried out and documented although we have physically lost these areas the history is preserved in documents and photo's thankfully, I wonder if the old Scampton airfield will be built on,all the history that place holds

Rog

IMGP0007.jpg

IMGP0008.jpg

Not quite up to Compos standard, but these little buggers have decided to take up residence on our lawns.

• Like 1

Thought it was BK, they creep up on you and before you know it you're feeding them,crafty

Rog